The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Advice request

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Squi597
Posted 2021-09-20 2:32 PM (#556129)
Subject: Advice request

I’ve never owned an Ovation (have always had a strat) but oddly enough am more of an acoustic guitar fan.
Okay, I’m interested in a Celebrity elite plus series model and would like to know if the mid bowl models will still sound good/expressive unplugged. Also what is the difference in tone between a Kia top versus Maple.
Apologies for asking such a mundane question but unfortunately I will not have the opportunity to try them myself before purchasing.
Thanks, Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2021-09-20 5:21 PM (#556131 - in reply to #556129)
Subject: Re: Advice request

Hi there I have never played a Celebrity but I think their tops are all laminate. So I don't think that the kind of top layer has an impact on tone. I have a mid bowl Legend and it is very loud and and bright.
Squi597
Posted 2021-09-20 5:59 PM (#556132 - in reply to #556131)

Thanks for the information I was thinking the same thing. I mostly concerned how they sound without amplification for at home practice.
FlySig
Posted 2021-09-21 8:49 AM (#556134 - in reply to #556129)

Mid depth sounds normal, meaning nobody is going to hear it and think it sounds thin or weak. The deep and deep contour bowls are more like a dreadnaught, with more bass and a bigger sound.

The top is what will make it more or less expressive. The thinner the top the more it will be responsive to right hand technique. From that standpoint, the solid tops will be better than the laminate.

Maple tends to be a brighter tone, Koa tends to be darker. That's for solid tops not laminate. Laminated tops probably sound essentially the same regardless of the top veneer.
FlySig
Posted 2021-09-21 9:21 AM (#556135 - in reply to #556129)

Not all of the Celebrity models are laminated tops.
d'ovation
Posted 2021-09-21 12:15 PM (#556137 - in reply to #556135)

FlySig - 2021-09-21 9:21 AM Not all of the Celebrity models are laminated tops.

And some of the AX models under DW had veneered tops. DW really blurred the lines let's hope that some better brand recognition will come out of new ownership. 

Love O Fair
Posted 2021-09-21 4:22 PM (#556139 - in reply to #556129)

Jim.. is the model you are looking at brand new (like on Sweetwater's site or something alike), or from a private party? The reason I ask is because I bought a brand new model (essentially the same you are looking at.. KOA top) from Sweetwater as a gift for my nephew, and though I have only played it a few times on visits there, it is a very nice sounding guitar and well worth the purchase price which was around $450 and change including shipping to him. Sorry to not answer your questions directly, but I just wanted to chime in with that.
PS-- that purchase was almost two years ago.. but I will assume generally the same guitar as today.

Edited by Love O Fair 2021-09-21 4:34 PM
Squi597
Posted 2021-09-23 4:32 PM (#556144 - in reply to #556139)

Thanks for your insight, I think KOA is what I will order from Sweetwater in a couple of weeks. Moving into a new house 10/15. Once settled in I’ll be looking forward too it. Thanks again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)