The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
new to me 1618 and a question or two

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2021-10-11 12:18 PM (#556233 - in reply to #556083)
Subject: Re: new to me 1618 and a question or two

Be willing to bet you've got a 1980's body on a 1970's neck. Interesting combination and if it works, don't fight it.......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tom The Piddler
Posted 2021-10-12 4:52 AM (#556237 - in reply to #556232)
Subject: RE: new to me 1618 and a question or two

bowlcut, thanks for checking this out.  Was thinking it might say "surprise" under the TRC.

Seems like a glued on neck to a bolt on bowl?  But I am not savvy enough to make that statment.  But you defintely have one of a kind O.  Glad it it ticks all the boxes for you.  Keep on plucking.

bowlcut -2021-10-11 11:04 AM Hey guys, I am back, Sorry I took so long, I slid back the ornate cover and found the adjustment at the top of the neck. Then curious about the hole in the bracing that would make it appear to have an adjustment behind that as well, I started to try and get a idea for what was there. I tried a long allen key and it never felt like it ever hit any metal, so then I took some photos down inside. First thing I noticed was an extra hole towards the bottom of the bowl, that I hadn't noticed before. Next thing was a similar hole that lined up with the hole in the bracing that I initially thought would be a truss rod access. I still don't see any screw heads or anything like that, but I suppose they could be sunk pretty deep into the bowl. I haven't had any need to try and adjust the neck, the relief is great, and this is still the easiest playing 12 string with the best action I have ever encountered. 

bowlcut
Posted 2021-10-12 12:41 PM (#556238 - in reply to #556083)

That makes sense Tom, so those two holes would have been for bolting a neck in place. This one must be glued in, so the holes are left unused.

I looked all around the neck to body joints, trying to find some sort of tell tale signs of obvious work done. But it all looks really clean or I just don't know what I am looking for. At the least, I would say that at some time this bowl and neck were not meant for each other! Anyway, I am really glad they found each other now.

I planned on keeping one 12 string out of this and the Adamas, and it's going to be a tough choice. I like the sound, look, and concept of the Adamas, but this guitar wins out in all other departments for me.
DanSavage
Posted 2021-10-17 11:47 AM (#556305 - in reply to #556238)

It wasn't unheard of for Ovation to glue the neck to an SMC bowl.

1624s were done this way, as were the parlor bowl guitars.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)