The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
GuitarBackingTracks site: the end?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

titti
Posted 2021-06-09 5:53 AM (#555682)
Subject: GuitarBackingTracks site: the end?

Hi folks, I haven't written here for a while, but I always follow. Many of you will surely have used the very famous GuitarBackingTracks site to download backing tracks to play on. But for several days it has disappeared. Anyone know why?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2021-06-09 5:34 PM (#555689 - in reply to #555682)
Subject: Re: GuitarBackingTracks site: the end?

I heard a rumor it was shut down. There was a post on reddit.. "Thanks for your message. We are sad to say that Ultimate Guitar has shut down GuitarBackingTracks.com. As you may or may not know, UG (Ultimate Guitar) has been paying mechanical and performance royalties to music publishers for the right to offer these backing tracks as downloads and on-demand streams. For several years GBT has been able to generate just enough advertising revenue to breakeven, but with recent changes in the royalty licensing environment and tougher advertising conditions, it is no longer possible to operate this business."

Bill C
Posted 2021-06-09 9:03 PM (#555690 - in reply to #555682)

In theory, the copyright laws allow for “fair use” of music material for educational use (among other things). However, heavy-handed record companies and their expensive lawyers have run roughshod over those who cannot afford to fight them. So folks like Rick Beato cannot even mention certain songs by name, even though he’s only analyzing them as far as their chord progressions or whatever.
bvince
Posted 2021-06-11 7:30 AM (#555699 - in reply to #555682)

When will it all end?
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2021-06-14 7:03 PM (#555725 - in reply to #555682)

Unless the song has passed into Public Domain, the songwriter and publisher deserve to be paid for use... legally and in fairness. I guess it's all in the perspective. Full disclosure, yes, I have personal publishing/songwriter interests.
DanSavage
Posted 2021-06-15 5:07 PM (#555728 - in reply to #555690)

Bill C - 2021-06-09 7:03 PM

In theory, the copyright laws allow for “fair use” of music material for educational use (among other things). However, heavy-handed record companies and their expensive lawyers have run roughshod over those who cannot afford to fight them. So folks like Rick Beato cannot even mention certain songs by name, even though he’s only analyzing them as far as their chord progressions or whatever.

Fair use laws hold that only a portion of any copyrighted piece may be used.

How much of a copyrighted piece is allowed under fair use is determined by the courts.

If Beato is playing substantial portions of others' songs while deconstructing them I doubt fair use applies.
nerdydave
Posted 2021-06-16 12:11 AM (#555732 - in reply to #555682)

All too much for this feeble mind. I am just happy to play the songs I hear and enjoy every millisecond!!
nerdydave
Posted 2021-06-16 12:12 AM (#555733 - in reply to #555682)

The world falls away and I exist only in the moment!!
fillhixx
Posted 2021-06-18 4:52 PM (#555747 - in reply to #555728)

Beato is actually a perfect example of the situation. His examination and explanations of What Makes This Song Great and other topics he features actually drives plays of the songs! Several artists have supported and thanked his efforts others, (Cough-enly!) not so much.....

DanSavage
Posted 2021-06-19 11:13 AM (#555750 - in reply to #555747)

If Beato is obtaining permission before breaking down the songs, that's one thing.

If he's breaking down a song without permission, then making money off it, that's another matter.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2021-06-20 1:00 PM (#555751 - in reply to #555750)

DanSavage - 2021-06-19 9:13 AM If Beato is obtaining permission before breaking down the songs, that's one thing. If he's breaking down a song without permission, then making money off it, that's another matter.

Rick Beato has several videos on the legal aspects.  He's dealt with Lawyers, Artists, and even testified to Congress.  A lot of things like "how much of a song you can play" is myth or just outdated.  He has several videos that go into detail on the topic.

Jonmark Stone
Posted 2021-06-20 4:20 PM (#555752 - in reply to #555682)

I enjoy his videos. I am subscribed to his Youtube channel. He's very talented. And he was, to his credit, attempting to comply with performance royalties.. but the site didn't generate the usership to meet their expenses.
That's a shame.
But it doesn't make the performance rights agencies blood suckers... or the funds necessary to comply outrageous. They really aren't.
It's a shame it didn't work out for him at Backingtracks. But music IS a business. That's not any more icky or underhanded as any industry that creates and supplies a quality product for sale/distribution.
nerdydave
Posted 2021-06-20 10:55 PM (#555753 - in reply to #555682)

Yes it is a business. But for those of us way out here on the fringes it is simply a sublime enjoyment!!
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2021-06-21 4:31 PM (#555754 - in reply to #555753)

nerdydave - 2021-06-20 10:55 PM Yes it is a business. But for those of us way out here on the fringes it is simply a sublime enjoyment!!

I get that. For me too. Our publishing company has actually given waivers to some folks that have asked for special use permissions. Just pointing out that collecting on copyright usage isn't always about greedy cigar chomping gangsters. Writers and their dependents rely on what are often relatively small compensations. 

Edited by Jonmark Stone 2021-06-21 4:33 PM
nerdydave
Posted 2021-06-21 11:12 PM (#555755 - in reply to #555682)

I only need special use permissions to play and sing songs for myself on my front porch!
elginacres
Posted 2021-06-22 10:54 PM (#555762 - in reply to #555682)

Mr. Stone we are on the same page....in several respects....as one who also owns rights to music, I fully understand why artists and the companies who represent or own their creations want compensation....It is also a matter of keeping a bit of control over who can do what.....But to your other point, today it is easier than ever to seek out sync, mechanical, and performance rights......I started when it was long distance phone calls (remember those) and letters to people who were hard to track down. From what I know of your career - you did too! Folks, most artists do not have the time to deal with all the idiosyncrasies of the process, so they arrange for others to do it for them, for a fee. But if you want to use something for distribution, ask permission and tell them what you are doing.....I have found many have said go for it and enjoy....many say here is what it costs.....I for one take the compliment when they say they want to play or perform xxxxx, I gotta lotta jingle trax out there from the 70s.....I appreciate they did their homework, and with today the pittance for streaming.....just pay it.....it is likely less than your streaming monthly account. If it is really high, then they are letting you know they really value it, and you gotta pay. Find the video of Steve Lukather and Toto talking about what they make in streaming royalties....and they have a pretty good resume. Personally I like Beato's stuff...he is a music theory nerd and shows how this stuff really works in great music.....it is just a real hard model to make any dough at it. What he does is not fair use....but what he does is really good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)