The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
O Case models

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Oddball
Posted 2021-03-08 5:11 PM (#555296)
Subject: O Case models

I'm looking at a Ovation hard case for sale in another city. I need one for a mid-bowl Elite. I did buy a brown case that I was told was for a mid-depth Ovation. I should have brought my guitar and tried it out but didn't. So I got he case home and the guitar kinda-sorta fits, but weirdly. A call back to the seller revealed it formerly held a mid-depth 12 string - which apparently has a slightly different body size/shape.

(So if anyone needs one of those, let me know.)

I'm wondering if there is any online source that lists case dimentions and/or model numbers for all the various bowl and Ovation guitar configurations — and where those model numbers might be found on the case itself. The brown case I got (but am not using) does not have any number or plate that I can find.

The seller of the one I'm currently looking at says he will take measurements and let me know. But besides the brown one, the only other Ovation cases I have are for a deep-bowl and a super-shallow bowl. So I guess the worst-case scenario is that if his measurements are about halfway between the two, I'll take a chance. He's offering it pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2021-03-08 6:40 PM (#555297 - in reply to #555296)
Subject: Re: O Case models

here's a link to ovations site on cases
https://www.ovationguitars.com/accessories-cases-and-bags

There is no brown case for the mid-bowl I know of ,they were either deep bowl or artist bowl which is shallower
Model 8158 should fit your guitar good luck on your search

Oddball
Posted 2021-03-08 8:03 PM (#555298 - in reply to #555296)

Appreciate the response. Checked that website and it notes the 8158 is for both deep and mid-bowls - ??? If that's true, then why wouldn't an older deep-bowl case (like the brown one) also fit a mid bowl? Not questioning your expertise, just thinking out loud. I understand the brown cases were likely made before Ovation even made mid-bowls. I will probably just spring for an 8158 at some point, but might take my guitar over to this guy for a trail fit just to make sure.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2021-03-08 8:13 PM (#555299 - in reply to #555296)

Where the site says mid/deep bowl they don't differentiate from the fact that all the deep bowl production models are deep contour bowls not the original deep bowl,i'll have to pull out some guitars and cases and let you know which ones swap correctly,it should not have mattered that the other guitar was a 12 string the bowl should be the same for 6 or 12 string models,when you say it fits funky does the top close OK or does it feel tight,does the bowl not sit right??
I know not every guitar I have with a deep bowl fits well into every deep bowl case sometimes its the electronics sometimes it doesn't close easy so I think there is some difference in the cases during different eras IMHO What's your guitar 1778 Elite
Standingovation
Posted 2021-03-08 8:40 PM (#555300 - in reply to #555296)

Buy a modern day black case, model 9158 or 8158.
Love O Fair
Posted 2021-03-09 5:03 PM (#555301 - in reply to #555296)

I only have two (identical) brown Ovation cases.. and both fit the original deep and Artist bowls (one came with a 1112, and one came with a 1127). Question is.. were all issues of brown cases the same thing as mine, or were there bowl variations earlier, or that came later, which also came fitted to the brown-colored cases? I don't know what the model number of mine are. Both are circa early 80's with copper-colored interior. Can someone tell me the model number from what I've described? Thanks.

Edited by Love O Fair 2021-03-09 5:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)