The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Neck Finish

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

CMP
Posted 2020-09-16 9:04 AM (#552865)
Subject: Neck Finish

Hey guys!

Hope everyone well. Ok so here's a tough question: Does anyone know what year Ovation went to the more unfinished necks? Let me explain a bit further....My love for the ovation/adamas guitars has been sort of reawakened and I bought a few. A 6 string Adamas I bought has a super smooth matte finish. Feels glorious!! All the others (Adamas 1885-12, 2002 Collector, 2000 Collector and 1999 Collector have more of a completely unfinished neck. Can feel the grain and all. I much prefer the silky neck vanishes in my hand kinda feel. If anyone knows when they went to that more open grain vibe... it would be helpful to me as I continue to look to add to my collection. Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2020-09-17 12:21 PM (#552880 - in reply to #552865)
Subject: Re: Neck Finish

Somewhere in the 90s.

I had a Book Elite (1996) and a mid-90s Custom Legend that both had the open grain finish on the neck and headstock that you're describing.
CMP
Posted 2020-09-19 9:56 AM (#552892 - in reply to #552865)

Thanks Dan!!! I have two Adamas guitars... I just figured out how to date them. My 6 string is a 92 (baby smooth finish) my 12 string is a 94 (open grain kinda thing) so I'll guess 92/93 would have been the cutoff....

Thanks again!!
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2020-09-19 7:06 PM (#552893 - in reply to #552892)

They called it a "Hand Rubbed Urethane Oil" in their brochures. I wasn't a big fan.
Don't think it completely replaced the gloss finish at the time. Started in the early 90's (93ish).
Since you aren't a fan of actually feeling the grain, this won't appeal to you... but I've refinished several necks with TruOil gun stock finish. A similar product but much darker... penetrates deeper and richer feel and look.
Personally, I love it.

(neck01.jpg)

(neck02.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments neck01.jpg (65KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments neck02.jpg (53KB - 0 downloads)
Love O Fair
Posted 2020-09-19 8:17 PM (#552894 - in reply to #552865)

I didn't think I would like the grainy finish (2000 was my first) since I was used to smooth, gloss finish, but after a short while it began to grow on me, and now the gloss finishes almost seem antique and delicate compared to the grainy that feels more rugged and.. for lack of a better term.. safe. It just takes more maintenance than the gloss.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)