The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What Is It Called??..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2020-09-13 1:48 PM (#552843)
Subject: What Is It Called??..

Just curious if there may be an actual industry term anyone has ever perhaps coined for when you are playing an instrument and have to choose between completing the piece with quality, or quickly dispatching a hand elsewhere to scratch a horrible, nagging itch.. typically on the nose or eye or wherever. And especially bad when performing live, or recording something that is otherwise so far turning out perfectly well. Most times you just tough it out or try to block it, and then race for the itch once the piece has ended, but still your mind contemplates a way to itch it while playing. So what's it called? Anything official?? If not, please feel free to name it here. I just call it damn annoying.

Edited by Love O Fair 2020-09-13 1:52 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2020-09-13 2:16 PM (#552845 - in reply to #552843)
Subject: Re: What Is It Called??..

Indeed there is a term. It's called IPA for Intra Performance Annoyance.

Happened to me once playing at an outdoor event on a warm sunny day. I decided to wear sunglasses even tho I had never performed in sunglasses before in my life. My performance was going fine until the sweat on my brow began to run down to the bridge of my nose and the sunglasses began to slip down my nose. At first it wasn't too bad and I was able to slightly tip my head back and compensate. But by the middle of the song I was doing a full Chuck Schummer and then finally the damn glasses slipped off completely. It would have been a happy (and thankful) conclusion if they just fell to the ground. But NO, they fell and one ear piece hooked right inside of my soundhole and over the strings. I had to stop playing on the spot and just said "And THAT ladies and gentlemen is how you keep an expensive pair of sunglasses from getting scratched on the ground. Thank you very much." and I walked off to applause.
Love O Fair
Posted 2020-09-15 2:57 AM (#552855 - in reply to #552843)

@Standingovation - >>>It's called IPA for Intra Performance Annoyance.<<<

And there's the answer. Thank you.. and thanks for the great story! I wish I had one like it, but mine are pretty much just the standard itchy nose.
Juan Adumee
Posted 2020-09-15 9:44 PM (#552863 - in reply to #552843)

Haven't you guys heard of roadies? That's their job isn't it? I allowed a groupie the honors once, but the audience thought she was doing something else and it turned out to be a mistake.

Please don't take me seriously. I've been deemed a bonafide moron in seven states.
nerdydave
Posted 2020-09-15 10:36 PM (#552864 - in reply to #552843)

What about the other 43?
cholloway
Posted 2020-09-16 11:30 AM (#552867 - in reply to #552843)

Nevermind

Edited by cholloway 2020-09-16 11:31 AM
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2020-09-16 4:08 PM (#552868 - in reply to #552867)

30 years ago I moved to Hilton Head Island and played predominantly outdoor venues. I was introduced... from the first gig... to no-see-ums. Nasty, tiny creatures that started boring into your skin from the first bar of Brown Eyed Girl to the last chorus of American Pie. Went out the next day and bought cans of DEET. Sprayed my self down and all was well... until I noticed it was taking off the finish on my guitar neck. So what was it doing to ME using it 7 days a week.
Got a tip from a veteran beach bar player... buy a fan, point it at you and add it to your equipment setup.
Worked great. A bit noisy but who cares.
Love O Fair
Posted 2020-09-16 5:15 PM (#552870 - in reply to #552843)

Wait.. I do have a story. I once got my guitar cord hung up on the clear glass vase that was holding all the cash for a benefit party show, and pulled it from the stool it was sitting on and onto the floor. It shattered and money went everywhere. But I digress.. that wasn't so much of an Intra Performance Annoyance as it was a buzzed and clumsy performer. I WAS the annoyance. Seems to be the case everywhere I go.. including here.
elginacres
Posted 2020-09-22 6:57 PM (#552915 - in reply to #552843)

Was playing in the pit for a touring Les Mis cast. Came to Bring Him Home...solo 12 string plucking....had the capo one half step flat. All was fine - until the orchestra came in 1/2 step sharper....shall we say the conductor and the singer (Gary Morris) were quite Intra Performance Annoyed with me....hey what is one fret among friends and professionals!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)