The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Boss acs pro

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

johngar
Posted 2020-05-04 3:04 PM (#552042)
Subject: Boss acs pro

Hi everyone
Am going to purchase an acoustic amp soon,and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the boss acs pro 120 watts. It sounds pretty cool. But I’m also looking at the fish man artist and the Marshall as100d.

Any thoughts thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2020-05-05 10:30 AM (#552045 - in reply to #552042)
Subject: Re: Boss acs pro

I am surprised there aren't a flurry of knowledgeable responses yet. So I'll put in my not-so-expert opinion.

You are in the right power range imho. I have experience with the Roland AC-60, the Crate Gunnison (60W), and the Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr (35W). Plus I have test-driven quite a few acoustic amps in stores. The Genz Benz is my current acoustic amp, and it sounds great. It seems to be a bit of an outlier, in that lower power acoustic amps seem to suffer from bad tone and weak speakers. Once up into the 60W range the tone gets a lot better and the speaker can put out good volume without distorting.

The theoretical difference in loudness between 30W and 60W isn't that much, but manufacturers use cheaper speakers and cheaper overall design in the lower power models. So you can't actually get 30W of sound out of the low power units without a lot of distortion. But the higher power versions can be driven hard with little or no distortion.

For quiet venues or just at home the loudness of a low power model is plenty, but the tone just isn't very good due to small speakers and cheap cabinets. On stage you will probably be plugged into the house system, so the preamp section is really all that matters. So you generally don't need a loud acoustic amp for performing, but still I suggest going with more power just to get better tone even in quiet settings.

As to the Boss model you mention, I would encourage you to listen before you buy. Each brand and even each model within a brand will have a different tone. The reviews online of that model are not very good for clarity. Sorry I can't give you personal experience with that brand. My general approach is to use pedals rather than onboard effects in an amp. The vocal effects on that Boss amp get bad reviews, so I would not buy it if you are wanting the vocal effects.
alpep
Posted 2020-05-05 11:44 AM (#552046 - in reply to #552042)

I like and use an AER amp which is stellar
I also use an acoustic image clarius and love it plus it works great for bass!!!! lightweight and compact
I have used the genz benz and like them a ton
many people have had good results with the fishman but im not a fan

sorry i cannot give any insight on the boss
johngar
Posted 2020-05-05 12:04 PM (#552048 - in reply to #552042)

Thanks for input I’m not going to make a hasty decision gonna do a lot of research before I buy.
Thanks again
richardd
Posted 2020-05-06 3:36 AM (#552055 - in reply to #552042)

AER is the best I've tried, amazing sound, volume and projection. I have the smallest model, the Alpha and have used it for acoustic gigs in smallish clubs.
johngar
Posted 2020-05-07 6:20 PM (#552065 - in reply to #552042)

Well I stepped up ordered the fishman performer 180 want to get some with some power in case I wanted to play some larger venues in the future. I thank everyone for there input. It’s much appreciated.
johngar
Posted 2020-05-07 6:20 PM (#552066 - in reply to #552042)

Well I stepped up ordered the fishman performer 180 want to get some with some power in case I wanted to play some larger venues in the future. I thank everyone for there input. It’s much appreciated.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)