The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
G'day mates!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Grampie Bear
Posted 2019-11-24 6:40 PM (#550545)
Subject: G'day mates!

I don't have a question at this stage but send greetings from Australia. And many thanks to the contributors, I found this site informational and helpful earlier this year while researching an old Celebrity I'd purchased for my wife.

A bit of an intro to me, the wife of my youth and my interest in Ovations. 4 decades ago I was a university student, very much a loner and alone, my only companion a cheap old guitar. First week of my second year this incredibly lovely country girl turned up at the uni as well as at the church I attended. For some reason she treated all the handsome and wealthy young would-be suitors with ignore but went out of her way to chat with me - scruffy beard, long hair and bare feet! What are you thinking girl!! And what's that got to do with the Ovation I purchased her you ask? Bear with me a little.

It was not long before we found ourselves investing all our spare time with each other, oft-times sitting cross-legged in the park; her strumming her 12 string and singing sweetly, me telling stories and speaking my heart to her through my guitar - in those days I could not hold a normal conversation (still can't other than with her). Anyway, within a short space of time I thought to upgrade my guitar and while in a local Toowoomba music store the salesman asked if I'd like to try out this funny looking guitar they'd just got in "for interest" (this was 1977) - a deep bowl Ovation. WOW! The dulcet tone blew me away, and the action was sooo smooth - a bit awkward to hold but if i'd had the money it would have been mine mine mine. As it was, I settled on a nice used Fender. I enjoyed the Fender, but the memory of that Ovation would continue to resonate within my belly.

Decades pass, I am still a loner, but alone no more - its me and my girl (yeah, yeah ... kids and grandkids too). She still has her old 12 string and sings even more beautifully but her guitar is not in a good way and its very hard to get and keep in tune. My belly speaks, its time to find her an Ovation. First came the Celebrity, but then it was hard for me to reach for the Takamine anymore so we NEEDED another Ovation. Welcome the 1868TX, cannot believe how deep and rich such a narrow body can sound - both unplugged and plugged. Now we're adding a mid-depth 1778TX. Bride of my youth sighs! Wellll, she's had 42 years to think about that!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2019-11-25 5:10 PM (#550551 - in reply to #550545)
Subject: Re: G'day mates!

Hello Grampie Bear.
Only a few people can respond in the Welcome Center.
Think of it as a clearing-house for bots and spammers.
If you would like... I can "upgrade" your membership so that you can post everywhere.
Just respond and let us know.

Everybody has a story from the "old daze".
I remember in the 70's when everybody played Ovations.
Time passes. In 2006 I was in a music store and saw an Ovation.
I was immediately reminded of Traveling Musicians who carried Ovations because they were Sturdy and Loud.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)