The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Space Truckin'...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2019-07-21 4:30 PM (#549455)
Subject: Space Truckin'...

With the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 I was poking around online stories and came across an interesting fact that there is a guitar permanently assigned to the International Space Station that gets used often (along with a couple other permanent instruments from what I gather). Here is a link which spells it out with a very cool explanation from a very cool person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRunqi1mDM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mike S.
Posted 2019-07-21 6:15 PM (#549456 - in reply to #549455)
Subject: Re: Space Truckin'...

Hello, Everyine,
I was 14 years old when Apollo 11 went to the moon. Since then, we Canadians have given the U.S. space program various scientists, R&D personel, i.e. from the Avro Arrow Project, the CANADARM, Chris Hatfield, and the Larrivee Guitar on the ISS! Beauty, eh?
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Love O Fair
Posted 2019-07-21 6:50 PM (#549457 - in reply to #549455)

Mike.. I was right behind you... just short of 14 for Apollo 11. My dad died that day. He passed away in that little window of time after the lunar module had landed, though before Armstrong had climbed out to make the famous step. It's always been a bittersweet thing for our family, but I have kept up on it and all the huge space advancements since. I knew that Chris Hadfield was into music from space, but it wasn't until just now that I learned there is a permanent guitar flying around up there (I always thought they took their own), and I think it is very cool that both the instrument and its star player are Canadians! Hadfield is almost as old as us.. looking at 60.. so it's nice to know that our generation was the first to record and produce from space. His album "Songs From A Tin Can" was recorded on the ISS.

However.. PS: The very first instruments ever actually played in space were a harmonica and bell. Wally Schirra and Tom Stafford played "Jingle Bells" aboard Gemini 6 in December 1965.

Edited by Love O Fair 2019-07-21 7:06 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2019-07-22 1:09 PM (#549460 - in reply to #549455)

Hey, Love O Fair,
Thanks for the kind reply and the new information. If Chris Hatfield can record on the ISS, I guess I can record in my tiny little office, I think. I believe our beloved Ovation guitars were /are considered a, "space age", project at the time also, as one interview with Charlie Kaman states that the bowls were made from, "leftover helicopter blades, and nose cone stew." Forward thinking, or what?
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2019-07-22 1:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)