The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bittersweet new Ovation day.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Bazz Jass
Posted 2019-07-16 8:17 PM (#549424)
Subject: Bittersweet new Ovation day.

I first posted about 6 week back about finally ordering a 1987 Collector's model. The one I'd wanted since I was 17....

Well, there have been dramas. Firstly it arrived in New Zealand, was held for two week then returned to USA, with no given reason.

On the second attempt it finally arrived yesterday, over a month since ordering it.

Sadly, in all the travel, and the extremes that go with it, it has the dreaded finish crack that it didn't have when I ordered it. I realise it's only cosmetic, but I'm so bummed. It catches my eye every time I look at the guitar and I don't think I'll be able to live with it. So I'm thinking to just cut my losses and sell it on (here in New Zealand), or getting the top refinished. Such an anti climax

(20190717_121226.jpg)

(20190717_121247.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20190717_121226.jpg (83KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments 20190717_121247.jpg (62KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2019-07-16 8:57 PM (#549425 - in reply to #549424)
Subject: Re: Bittersweet new Ovation day.

I grieve with you!! We all do. Such a special guitar and SUCH an unnecessary shame. They didn't even tell you if the delay/return was a customs issue or a shipping company issue? Maybe the seller shipped it incorrectly per international rules? What company carried it? Definitely one for the OFC "Tracking Rant" thread.

Edited by Love O Fair 2019-07-16 9:02 PM
Bazz Jass
Posted 2019-07-16 9:01 PM (#549426 - in reply to #549425)

Love O Fair - 2019-07-17 1:57 PM

I grieve with you!! We all do. Such a special guitar and SUCH and unnecessary shame. They didn't even tell you if the delay/return was a customs issue or a shipping company issue? Maybe the seller shipped it incorrectly per international rules? What company carried it? Definitely one for the "Tracking Rant" forum thread.

It first was sent by USPS, but not accepted into the New Zealand post system. Neither USPS or NZ Post could explain (or wouldn't), both blaming each other.

UPS was much more straight-forward, but I fear the (finish) damage was done by then.

I suspect there was some issue with the initial shipment from a cartage point of view that meant it wasn't accepted at the entry port here.

Edited by Bazz Jass 2019-07-16 9:04 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2019-07-16 9:04 PM (#549427 - in reply to #549424)

That is terrible so sorry your dream guitar arrived damaged.
Did they insure it??
Maybe you can find someone to refinish the top those are rare and special guitars.

Bazz Jass
Posted 2019-07-16 9:08 PM (#549428 - in reply to #549424)

I'm getting a local quote to refinish the top.

I'm sure it was insured, but getting it back to the seller, more cost and hassle. The seller already had to forfeit his original shipping cost because neither USPS or NZ Post would accept responsibility. If I can get it nicely refinished locally I will. For all this complaining, I only paid $900 for it which is half the price of tidier examples. So if a top refinish is possible it will still be a good deal.
Love O Fair
Posted 2019-07-16 9:11 PM (#549429 - in reply to #549424)

A lesson to us all at your expense. Never.. ever.. trust a government platform for international shipping. At least private companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) have competitors to stack their quality against. Governments.. hmmmm.. no. Often their employee thoughts and focus on sandwiches waiting in the break room refrigerator take a much higher priority than the freight.

PS: (posts crossed in real time) Wishing you well on the refinish! Maybe contact DanSavage or Arumako (members here) for tips on possibly fixing it yourself.

Edited by Love O Fair 2019-07-16 9:15 PM
d'ovation
Posted 2019-07-16 9:41 PM (#549430 - in reply to #549424)

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. But this is just a cosmetic finish crack that will have no further effect. With all it and you have been through maybe it's just a battle scar. If it plays great and sounds great it should not matter much and serve as a reminder about what it took to get it home. I bought two rare high end guitars new and both arrived with finish checking in the deep of winter. And I decided to keep them because I knew I would not get opportunity for anything like them again.
Bazz Jass
Posted 2019-07-16 9:52 PM (#549431 - in reply to #549424)

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm getting the guitar to a local luthier who has had experience refinishing Ovation tops to look it over. He thinks he may be able to fix the finish crack though - make it nearly invisible. I'd be impressed if that were the case. I'll wait for his hands-on appraisal.

I appreciate your comments d'ovation. I know that's how I should be behaving. I have finish checking on some of my guitars that I deal with. But this one long whisker line on this particular top is more annoying for some reason...
nerdydave
Posted 2019-07-17 12:07 AM (#549434 - in reply to #549424)

If the local luthier can fix it for a reasonable price then fine. Otherwise keep it for a while and play it and grow to love it and perhaps in the end the crack will not matter so much and may even become a defining trait of the guitar that you will grow to love!! We all love those around us blemished though they may be!!
FlySig
Posted 2019-07-17 10:08 AM (#549437 - in reply to #549424)

I would not refinish it. Sanding off the poly finish is a lot of hard work fraught with risk of damage. You may lose the golden aged color.

The finish crack can be hidden quite successfully. Folks do it all the time on older Ovations. Post in the BFLG forum below, or do some forum searches. Though I have not fixed a crack on the top before, I have filled small finish cracks on a neck. Using the thinnest cyano-acrylate glue (CY or superglue), carefully wick it into the crack. Do not use glue from the grocery store or home repair DIY store. Get it from a good luthier or hobby supply store. "Water Thin" is what you're looking for.

Acetone dissolves CY glue but won't damage the finish on the guitar, so after the glue is fully cured you can wipe away any excess.

StewMac.com sells the glue and excellent whip-tips (very small plastic applicators) to apply it. Check out their videos on their website or on YouTube. Chances are a good luthier has filled cracks or other damage using CY glue this way.
MWoody
Posted 2019-07-17 11:19 AM (#549438 - in reply to #549424)

Yes, what Flysig says!
Cyano fill is the right way to go. It works best when the crack is new and hasn't had a chance to gather any debris.
nerdydave
Posted 2019-07-17 8:54 PM (#549440 - in reply to #549424)

Sounds like the problem is no longer a problem!
Bazz Jass
Posted 2019-07-17 9:03 PM (#549441 - in reply to #549440)

nerdydave - 2019-07-18 1:54 PM

Sounds like the problem is no longer a problem!

It's looking hopeful! My luthier received the guitar this morning and wrote:

"I think it would be worth trying the quick repair to the crack. I won't know how invisible it will be until I try it but I'm pretty confident it will be somewhere between very discreet and invisible."

Works for me!
alpep
Posted 2019-07-18 1:29 PM (#549443 - in reply to #549424)

shipping via usps is not possible because of the size restrictions

all the other carriers are very expensive
nerdydave
Posted 2019-07-18 10:24 PM (#549446 - in reply to #549424)

Let us know how it comes out!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)