The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Stop! Okay?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

DanSavage
Posted 2019-02-24 11:55 AM (#547140 - in reply to #547100)
Subject: Re: Stop! Okay?

nerdydave - 2019-02-20 9:36 PM

And while you are at it cherish the old Ovations which many of us have. We need nothing more!!! Who cares what is coming out now? We already have the best!!

You think you do. But that is not the case.

One development embraced by almost every other manufacturer that has been ignored by Ovation is using torrefied spruce for the tops and braces. I've re-topped Ovation guitars using every popular brace pattern Ovation made and the resulting sound makes the non-torrefied Ovation sound dull. The non-torrefied still sound good, but not nearly as good as the torrefied version.

The latest change I made to my guitars is the addition of a fully-compensated OCP-1K saddle. Combine this with a torrefied top and you get an Ovation guitar that's on a whole different level.

These two simple updates require almost no extra cost to their traditional counterparts, but thoroughly transform the sound of the guitar.

It would only require Ovation embrace the spirit of innovation and reclaiming their place as an innovator in guitar construction.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2019-02-24 1:32 PM (#547141 - in reply to #547129)

ovie26 - 2019-02-23 9:55 PM

I get your point Flysig, but I don't agree. That's why I included "4 guitar-playing sons" in my post to DW. They range in age from 18 to 31 and they love the distinctive design of the Ovation headstock.

I've got musician kids in the same age range, too. My now 26 yr old daughter sold more Ovations to other high school and college age kids than the sales staff at the local Guitar Center. She and her bandmate had a pretty popular duo going here, both playing Ovations. My daughter now has a significant collection of O's and A's ranging from the early 1970's through the 2000's.

But not all young buyers are retro or knowledgeable about Ovations. Her first O was a red flame 1778T, which she picked out simply because of the red flame before she even played it.

I'm not against keeping the traditional headstocks (I'm getting yet another one delivered soon). But there are different aesthetics which the brand can expand into which will attract new young buyers to the brand. New models with new headstocks don't threaten the brand, they expand it. More choices, more sales.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2019-02-24 3:04 PM (#547145 - in reply to #547140)

I love the classic headstock so much, it's the reason I chose an Adamas II way back when. Broccoli was just a bridge too far for me at the time. Through the years it seems the Ovation community has accepted it... some revere it. Certainly far from the standard; as are the current Adamas deviations.

I still prefer the original. And the fat skunk stripe. That's just me.

Having said that, I really like what DW has done with the Applause headstock. I've always been of the opinion that the entry level models shouldn't share all the attributes of the premium models.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)