The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Slots in the saddle - problem or improvement?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

DetlefMichel
Posted 2019-02-01 4:16 AM (#546867)
Subject: Slots in the saddle - problem or improvement?

Slots in the saddles may look not very nice.
Let´s talk about physics.
We all know that a guitar sounds better when the sring angle on the saddle is more steep. Why? the string has more pressure on the surface and can transport the energy better.
But: Does the string move only up-and downwards? No. When you use a pick it will even move more parallel to the top. And if you play a little harder the string will start to "dance" on the surface and thus will loose power.

Especially with the bass strings I made the experience that a string in a (precise!) slot appears to transfer the energy that is created by the vibration (which is 3-dimensional) much better to the guitar top as if it has only a small contact point when is touches just the surface of the saddle. You can hear it acoustically and amplified.
On all of my guitar the strings run in special made slots that cover about half the diameter of the string itself.

What do the BFLG guitar gods think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2019-02-02 9:25 AM (#546875 - in reply to #546867)
Subject: Re: Slots in the saddle - problem or improvement?

I have filed slots in my saddles to keep the strings in the correct location. The strings tend to make their own slots by deforming the plastic, so if the string was out of position then a slot develops in the wrong place. The deformed plastic seems to mute the tone a bit on some guitars/strings, so I remove the plastic burr with a small file.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)