The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation sighting--Bohemian Rhapsody

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mark in Boise
Posted 2019-01-06 12:23 PM (#546429)
Subject: Ovation sighting--Bohemian Rhapsody

We saw the movie last night and I of course spotted the Ovation that was used for a short part of the film. It was the only acoustic guitar in the movie that I noticed, but my focus is pretty narrow.
I wasn't a fan of Queen, probably because I was just too busy during the band's heyday, but liked the movie. I came home and checked our music library to find that we didn't have a single Queen recording. Need to remedy that.

It's just another example of how Ovation dominated the scene for quite some time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dba
Posted 2019-01-06 12:40 PM (#546430 - in reply to #546429)
Subject: RE: Ovation sighting--Bohemian Rhapsody

I've seen the movie twice because it's so darn entertaining. I'm 63 years old so I knew of them and their big anthem type songs; We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions, etc; but I was into other music at the time of their heyday.

I'd never heard Love of My Life until I saw the movie and they only played a little bit of it. But it's just a beautiful song. Brian May is a virtuoso on the guitar.

Oddball
Posted 2019-01-06 5:58 PM (#546431 - in reply to #546429)
Subject: Re: Ovation sighting--Bohemian Rhapsody

Was somewhat gobsmacked to learn that guitar virtuoso also has a PhD in Astrophysics, and helped analyze the data from New Horizon's flyby's of both Pluto and Ultima Thule. And of course he made the Red Special himself and played it with a coin for a pick.

I have a 'real' guitar - several in fact - and my choice of pics and I can't hold a candle to the guy.

Also grew up in that era, liked Queen and thought 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was well done.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2019-01-07 8:57 PM (#546447 - in reply to #546429)

In the 70's I was listening to Croce, James Taylor, Paul Simon... and Queen. Odd I know. Freddie had one of the most incredible voices I've ever heard. The movie stayed with me for days. Rami is Oscar worthy. RIP Freddie.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2019-01-08 9:43 AM (#546453 - in reply to #546447)

Jonmark Stone - 2019-01-07 7:57 PM

In the 70's I was listening to Croce, James Taylor, Paul Simon... and Queen. Odd I know. Freddie had one of the most incredible voices I've ever heard. The movie stayed with me for days. Rami is Oscar worthy. RIP Freddie.

Pretty much the same for me, except replace Queen with Bachman Turner Overdrive. Freddie did have an incredible voice, but they were probably a little too metal for me. I hardly slept after the movie. Too many earworms. I got up about 2 and looked through our music collection, but no Queen. Probably too much controversy for Rami to get an Oscar, but that's also true of Green Book, which I also really liked. Too many critics on the internet (including me.)
dba
Posted 2019-01-08 12:47 PM (#546456 - in reply to #546453)

Probably too much controversy for Rami to get an Oscar

Well, he did win the Golden Globe. I guess we'll find out when the Oscar Nominations are announced on Jan 22.

Some friends asked my wife and I to accompany them to see the movie last night. Even after seeing it for the third time, there was no place during the show I was bored and actually saw/heard some things I'd missed the previous two times.
dba
Posted 2019-02-19 2:05 PM (#547086 - in reply to #546429)

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was wondering about Ovation 12s. In all of the times I've seen Brian May play, "Love of My Life" he's using a slotted peg head, 12 fret, 12 string. In the movie, during the Live Aid performance, there is a solid peg head 14 fret, 12 string sitting off the the side on a stand.

Is this an oversight by the set decorators or did Ovation make 12s like that in 1985? I've tried searching the web for an answer but this time the internet is not my friend. Can't even find the info on the Ovation Tribute Page.
Standingovation
Posted 2019-02-19 2:35 PM (#547087 - in reply to #546429)

The Ovation non-slothead, 14 fret 12-strings were introduced in 1984 ... Custom Balladeer 12, Legend 12 and Custom Legend 12.

I think the Elite 12-string also came out around that same time model 1538 (12-string version of the original Elite 1537). Of course the Adamas 14 fret 12-strings had already been around for some 6-7 years.

ironically, these days Brian plays a MINH Guild F412 maple 12-string.

BCam
Posted 2019-02-19 2:48 PM (#547088 - in reply to #546431)

Oddball - 2019-01-06 3:58 PM

Was somewhat gobsmacked to learn that guitar virtuoso also has a PhD in Astrophysics, and helped analyze the data from New Horizon's flyby's of both Pluto and Ultima Thule. And of course he made the Red Special himself and played it with a coin for a pick.

I have a 'real' guitar - several in fact - and my choice of pics and I can't hold a candle to the guy.

Also grew up in that era, liked Queen and thought 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was well done.

May's academic and scientific credentials and accomplishments are indeed impressive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_May#Scientific_career
dba
Posted 2019-02-19 5:45 PM (#547089 - in reply to #547087)

Standingovation - 2019-02-19 12:35 PM

The Ovation non-slothead, 14 fret 12-strings were introduced in 1984 ... Custom Balladeer 12, Legend 12 and Custom Legend 12.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)