The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar Project.....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

bburg
Posted 2018-12-06 12:29 PM (#546037)
Subject: Guitar Project.....

Hi Everybody,

as I promised in the thread I was serching for parts, I started this project yesterday. On Tuesday the wood arrived and I started to glue the body (Swamp.Ash) and the top (Curly-Maple) together. (Not the body with the top, the body and the top came in two bookmatched parts).Today I started to cut out the body with the top, fixed the soundhole and cut out for the rosette.

You can find pictures in my Album.

Bernie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bburg
Posted 2018-12-06 12:48 PM (#546039 - in reply to #546037)
Subject: Re: Guitar Project.....

One thing more...

The guitar needs a name or number or something else and a label inside. The neck I use is from a 1991 Anniversary (25 Years). Well, I'm older tha 25 years, I'm longer than 35 years an Ovation-Fan.... , so anybody has a good idea? Or will design the label? Can't wait to read and see your replies....

Bernie
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-12-06 9:48 PM (#546044 - in reply to #546037)

Depending on if it gives you troubles along the way maybe you could name it "Bernie's Beast". Is the bridge in the photo the one you are going to use? Is this going to be strictly acoustic with no electronics?
bburg
Posted 2018-12-07 1:30 AM (#546045 - in reply to #546037)

The Brigde is the one I use, but with a thinline pickup. Otherwise the guitar will not be usefull. I also found a preamp which is not very thick, so that I can build it in in the slim body.
For the label I was thinking about the early 90th custom shop or collecters labels (kind of) with something funny on it... (maybe).

Bernie
bburg
Posted 2018-12-08 8:38 AM (#546059 - in reply to #546037)

Update from the project... some new pics in the album as well.

The shape of the body is finished together with the top. The rosette and purfling is fitted, the connection for the neck is prepared and the messurement for the bridge is also done.

The next steps will be to chamber out the body, make the cut outs for the electronics, to glue the bridge to the top and then to glue the top on the body --Paintjob, assembling, string up, tune and play......

For the assembling I need to make a new heelcap and a plate for the jack.

Bernie
bburg
Posted 2018-12-10 1:27 PM (#546069 - in reply to #546037)

The body is chambered, bridge glued to the top, cutouts made for the electronics and currently the glue between top and body is drying. I made the heelcap and the jack-plate while drying the glue of the bridge. Tomorrow the guitar will be ready for painting. So next question: Clearcoat or only oil or wax?
Find new pics in my album.

Bernie
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-12-10 10:04 PM (#546076 - in reply to #546037)

Gee, Bernie, do you ever sleep? Your progress on this is moving so quickly. Looking very cool indeed! Definitely a unique piece. Just my personal preference would be the clear coat. And speaking of which, have you ever used the Eastwood 2K two-part rattle can clear? Dan sure did get a great result from it on his last build (as seen here - http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=48...) and all the reviews I've read on it have very high ratings.
bburg
Posted 2018-12-10 11:22 PM (#546077 - in reply to #546037)

Well, I'm retired now and it is raining all day long for days, so I can't do anything outside.
That clearcoat looks great, but I can't get it here in Germany. What I found is car or boat paint. I think I'll go for Wax. When I see the rain and temperature between 3 and 5 degrees Celsius and humitity higher than 85%, a nice painting would be difficult....

Bernie
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2018-12-11 8:01 AM (#546079 - in reply to #546037)

Beautiful job.
bburg
Posted 2018-12-12 8:28 AM (#546091 - in reply to #546037)

Hi, I just come from the first playing it!! In my nicest dreams I don't thought that it would sound so good. It has sustain without an end and incredible respons. See the final pics in my album.

..... and thanks Jonmark!!!!

Bernie
Mark in Boise
Posted 2018-12-12 10:23 AM (#546093 - in reply to #546037)

Very nice. The only problem I see is that you work too fast. Now you just need another retirement project. I suppose you could play all those guitars you have. Beautiful work, Bernie.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-12-12 10:26 AM (#546094 - in reply to #546037)

Congratulations on your talented project! That is an over-the-top beauty! And quite unique with the center sound hole design. It sounds good just looking at it. Rainy days outside or not, I am still blown away that you went from a stack of stock wood to the finished product so quickly. How does the sound compare plugged and unplugged?

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-12-12 10:28 AM
bburg
Posted 2018-12-12 2:00 PM (#546096 - in reply to #546037)

Thanks Buddies,
to compare it with something..... mmhh... is not easy. The only guitar I can compare it with is the "Book"-Viper I own. But this is to compare with the finest thing you can find on the planet. So the differeces are: The book has not so much sustain, but is more balanced in tone. Mine is a little bit more in the low end. The book has more sparkle and brightness, but it is not that mine sounds dump. It is at all a little bit. For a guitar made of of the junk laying arround it sounds really great.
Unplugged you can hear what you are doing, the same with the book-viper, but plugged in, it sounds huge.
I'll try to get a sound- clip, but my old PC with the Steinberg Program is run dead...

Bernie
bburg
Posted 2018-12-12 2:30 PM (#546097 - in reply to #546037)

I'm trying to make a label for it. The neck is Ovation original from a 25 years anniversary model from 1991. I will call it AE-Viper as well, but the "68" is an Elite-style Viper. So I make a AE66-X Viper for a Legend-Viper... (with the centerhole). The 1991 model has the herringbone rossete, too, that was what inspired me to this..... Other idea's?

Bernie
arumako
Posted 2018-12-26 6:37 PM (#546279 - in reply to #546037)
Subject: RE: Guitar Project.....

WOW bburg, you finished the project before I even realized it. Just noticed the new pics in your album. I hope you don't mind my posting them here in the thread...I mean, this deserves to be seen! May I introduce bburg's AE66-X Legend Viper!

AE66X

Here's a close up...you know, eye candy! Wonder if this will make it into the 2020 OFC Calendar! Certainly has to be a candidate?

AE66X 2

Finally, here's a link to bburg's album. If you arrange the album by clicking the "Show Oldest Photos First" link at the bottom of the page, this project starts on page 10. View all the pics through page 12. Really impressive!

http://ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=48&Page=10&sortdir=asc

Great work bburg! Thanks for sharing! Man, oh man, "I want one of those!" Sure would love to see a video of this beauty! Btw, would you mind sharing your opinion comparing the 1678av50 and the 1680 Adamas? I think I saw them both in your album...

Edited by arumako 2018-12-26 6:41 PM
bburg
Posted 2018-12-27 9:05 AM (#546293 - in reply to #546037)

Thanks Arumako for posting the pics up here in the thread and your kind words about my project-guitar. In my signature you can find the link to my photo's as well.
For a comparison 1678/50 vs. 1680 please sent me your email-adress, I'll sent it to you. It's not part of this thread here. Otherwise if there is any interest here, I'll start a new thread about that.

Bernie
arumako
Posted 2018-12-27 1:08 PM (#546296 - in reply to #546037)

YVW bburg. You've got such an interesting and beautiful collection. Thanks for sharing! PM sent.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-30 6:13 PM (#546320 - in reply to #546037)

A long time ago, after I closed up my custom sign shop I owned and retired, I posted an offer to design logos for free. On this forum and AGF. I ended up designing a few headstock logos and paper labels. I did it to be able to continue the most stimulating aspect of my 35 year career. I’d be thrilled to jump into this project at no cost. I might even be able to locate examples of work for luthiers by going through my stack of hard drives I accumulated through upgrades to my design computer. All I’d need is a thorough briefing on what you’re after to get started. It would be therapeutic while I’m miserably recovering from a big back surgery.
bburg
Posted 2018-12-31 10:31 AM (#546326 - in reply to #546037)

Thanks Dave for your kind offer and all the best for your recovering. Hopefully the new year will bring you better circumstances.
For a briefing the almost story is shown in the pictures which you can find in my album. I had the neck of an Ovation 25years anniversary lying around for years, I had the tuning machines, the preamp with the jack, bridge all here. To build a special Viper was the idea. So I ordered the wood for the body and the top. The guitar should have some things from the 25 anniversary, so it got the herrinbone rosette and purfling, I ordered as well and found a thinline pickup right now on ebay. The neck has the typical "Legend-Pattern" with the fretmarkers, so it must be a "Legend-Viper EA-66-X" or something like that....
If you need more information, let me know.....

Thanks again,

Bernie
d'ovation
Posted 2018-12-31 10:57 AM (#546327 - in reply to #546037)

Sie sieht wirklich toll aus!
bburg
Posted 2018-12-31 11:02 AM (#546328 - in reply to #546037)

Dankeschön!!

Where do you live in Canada? In August this year we visited some relations from my wife in the Montreal area....

Bernie
d'ovation
Posted 2018-12-31 12:57 PM (#546330 - in reply to #546328)

bburg - 2018-12-31 11:02 AM Dankeschön!! Where do you live in Canada? In August this year we visited some relations from my wife in the Montreal area.... Bernie

I live in Regina in the middle of the flat prairies. Montreal is very nice in the summer.

bburg
Posted 2018-12-31 1:15 PM (#546331 - in reply to #546037)

Yes, it is. We had a nice trip to Nova Scotia and PEI.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-31 5:36 PM (#546344 - in reply to #546326)

bburg - 2018-12-31 10:31 AM

Thanks Dave for your kind offer and all the best for your recovering. Hopefully the new year will bring you better circumstances.
For a briefing the almost story is shown in the pictures which you can find in my album. I had the neck of an Ovation 25years anniversary lying around for years, I had the tuning machines, the preamp with the jack, bridge all here. To build a special Viper was the idea. So I ordered the wood for the body and the top. The guitar should have some things from the 25 anniversary, so it got the herrinbone rosette and purfling, I ordered as well and found a thinline pickup right now on ebay. The neck has the typical "Legend-Pattern" with the fretmarkers, so it must be a "Legend-Viper EA-66-X" or something like that....
If you need more information, let me know.....

Thanks again,

Bernie

From the pics it looks like you have the headstock inlay covered. There is a retired college professor in Denver I designed a headstock logo for his luthier built guitars. I created a file and hooked him up with a specialty printer who printed the logo on clear vinyl and cut it to the contour of the lettering. He applies the decal and then puts the clear coat finish over it. I also did this for a luthier in California. From what I see you need a label for inside the guitar. I can design that and hook you up with the same printer I did the luthier in Denver. He could even print it for you on adhesive metallic stock if you wish. It's been several years since I created the print file for the guy in Denver but as I recall he ordered his logos 25 to a sheet for around $30.00. I have no idea what the larger soundhole labels would go for but you always have the option of ordering them in small quantities shipped to you in a reinforced manilla envelope.

All I need to get started is the copy is you want on the label. If you intend to use your name as a logo I can give you several ideas to choose from for the design. Just PM me the info you want and include an email address for me to submit your designs to. Thanks for the opportunity to have some fun contributing to this!
bburg
Posted 2019-01-01 3:47 AM (#546352 - in reply to #546037)

Hi Dave,

PM sent.

Bernie
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)