The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Bidding on Ovation 1112

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

standing
Posted 2018-12-17 4:38 PM (#546144 - in reply to #546139)
Subject: Re: Bidding on Ovation 1112

Lefty665 - 2018-12-17 2:00 AM

Does it have a wide Ovation pickup/saddle or a more common undersaddle piezo with a standard bridge?

If it’s a 1112, it would not originally have had a pickup.
The same guitar with a factory pickup would have been designated as a 1612.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nerdydave
Posted 2018-12-17 10:18 PM (#546146 - in reply to #546024)

Gosh you guys know a lot!!
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-12-18 4:06 AM (#546149 - in reply to #546024)

@Standing - >>>The same guitar with a factory pickup would have been designated as a 1612.<<<

Yes, if it were originally produced that way. But.. you could send an acoustic-only guitar back to the Mothership and they would install "official" Ovation electrics in it. I inquired about that sometime around the mid 80's for an 1127, and all that was available for that retrofit at that time was passive (no preamp).. and it was expensive (so I didn't do it). And what I mean about 'official' is that the electronics did not carry the same lifetime warranty that the rest of the guitar originally had. At least that's what I remember from the conversation. When I saw Dave's description here I thought it may have been one that went back for that.. but for every one of those there were probably 20+ more that were done on the owners' own workbench or local shop.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-12-18 2:57 PM (#546156 - in reply to #546024)

I'm just waiting to see the guitar.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-26 12:06 PM (#546271 - in reply to #546156)

Old Man Arthur - 2018-12-18 2:57 PM

I'm just waiting to see the guitar.

These are only two pics that were below size limit to load. I wish the top pic showing the mojo would load. The inside pic of pickup wouldn’t load either. It’s a mounted to top microphone that is every bit as good on sound quality as the Baggs system in my new Gibson Custom shop advanced jumbo.

Edited by DaveKell 2018-12-26 12:27 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 83653A02-0D9E-4AB7-930D-59C702470B12.jpeg (675KB - 18 downloads)
Attachments 8F729E79-90F6-4BA4-8BA0-CAE1D436872B.jpeg (1455KB - 16 downloads)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-12-26 7:03 PM (#546287 - in reply to #546024)

Nice guitar. Looks worth a hunnert bucks.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-28 10:47 AM (#546302 - in reply to #546287)

Old Man Arthur - 2018-12-26 7:03 PM

Nice guitar. Looks worth a hunnert bucks.

I consider this to be the best deal of the 5 or 6 Ovations I've owned. Soon as I'm recovered enough to get back to my weekly jam session this is the guitar I'll be taking. I've had a new set of medium gauge on it for nearly a week now. The action is better than on my Gibson custom shop advanced jumbo.

Since it's been some time since I've posted a DaveKell Health Horror Update I figured now would be a good time to describe the past few weeks. On the 17th I reported to the hospital at 5 am for a 9 hour surgery for lumbar fusion, necessitated by the car wreck in June. I was desperate to end the pain to the extent that I was willing to undergo the scariest surgery of my vaunted career as a patient in numerous area OR's with a 9 hour long procedure.

The pain post surgery was the absolute worst I've ever endured. My protests that the pain management was completely inadequate fell on deaf ears the entire 6 days I remained hospitalized. My timing for the surgery sucked since the guvamint had recently tied doctor's hands with opioid prescribing as a front line defense against the opioid epidemic. Since they couldn't make headway against cartels the various guvamental agencies involved looked to a soft target, that being the doctors prescribing narcotic drugs. Irrespective of the fact that 90% of overdose deaths were linked to illicit drugs, new guidelines for dosages doctors could prescribe have led to a new epidemic, that being the suicides of legitimate pain patients who were seriously underprescribed pain meds. I have no hesitation in saying I wouldn't be here today if I'd had access to one of my guns following my operation. The slightest moves I made sent torrents of pain throughout my body the 10mg Vicodin pills never touched. IV pain meds? Ha, forget it, ain't happening anymore.

Upon being released on Christmas Eve, some helpful neighbors got me through the past 4 days of recovery. I can finally sleep at night and spend my days tightly bound in an uncomfortable torso back brace apparatus. I still have unrelenting spasms around the posts implanted in my spine, but it gets slightly better every day. If I had it to do over again, no way I'd go through with the procedure. Now I'm hoping the outcome soon will be the elimination of the pain I received with the fusion in my neck earlier. This is too much for a guy my age to go through.

As soon as the surgeon releases me from care it will be time for my big law firm in Houston to obtain a settlement for me. I've got thousands in expenses on a health credit card to be paid off all at once. There should be sufficient amount left over to fully recover my financial security as well. Hopefully this will be the last in the DaveKell surgical saga for me to bore you with. I wouldn't wish this on anybody!
jay
Posted 2018-12-28 3:51 PM (#546303 - in reply to #546302)

So let me get this right...

You are going to get a settlement from the hospital that fixed your injuries from the accident that you got a settlement from?

This, in a thread where you "generated a dispute ticket" on a $100 guitar you were happy with.

Last year,  you sued the gym you worked out at hoping to get the building and equip.

Is opportunity always knocking or are you the unluckiest person on the board?

DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-28 8:13 PM (#546304 - in reply to #546303)

jay - 2018-12-28 3:51 PM

So let me get this right...

You are going to get a settlement from the hospital that fixed your injuries from the accident that you got a settlement from?

This, in a thread where you "generated a dispute ticket" on a $100 guitar you were happy with.

Last year,  you sued the gym you worked out at hoping to get the building and equip.

Is opportunity always knocking or are you the unluckiest person on the board?

There’s that insidious reading for comprehension debacle rearing its head again. Let me try to bring you up to speed. Yes, my initial injuries were at a workout facility. You could claim I was overzealously ticked off that lack of equipment inspections led to 3 back fractures. Mostly though I was ticked that a 2 year workout routine was abruptly ended. Skipping around here sort of like you did, “get a settlement from the hospital that fixed my injuries from an accident I got a settlement from”? Did you hear yourself when you typed that?(laughing with you, not at you). Let’s skip some more to the dispute ticket on a guitar purchase I was happy with. I don’t think anybody else had a problem understanding that a dispute ticket was the option necessary to inquire why a profound defect was not revealed in the ad copy. I wouldn’t take a double refund to return this guitar. I was only pointing out a flaw in their written description. Are we okay on that now? Skipping back... my attorney told me that if the gym had a lapsed liability policy, my only recourse might be to force them to auction off their subpar equipment. That’s still unresolved because the current owner is not cooperating with my attorney’s investigator. NOW, who will pay a settlement? Follow along closely. It’s simple but apparently very easy to miss. The gym incident necessitated an mri. Based on that, the neurosurgeon determined I needed a fusion in my neck. Here’s where you might get tripped up. The car wreck necessitated an mri as well. The neurosurgeon immediately determined from the results that substantially more damage was done to my lumbar spine. I now needed extensive fusion with rod implantation. I was now as an attorney on the forum described “an eggshell plaintiff”. Still following me? I’m trying to keep it succinct for you. The settlement will come from the at fault drivers insurance carrier. Should I repeat that? I’d agree with you I had a run of bad luck. But as Paul Simon sang “I’ve had a long streak of bad luck but I’m praying it’s gone at last.” Things are looking up. I have another Ovation with tons of honest mojo to make it look like I’ve been playing it for 39 years. Very soon my bank account will swell considerably. No amount of money can compensate for what I’m still experiencing but I’m determined to look at it in a positive light. Hope this might start clearing up lingering issues for you.
jay
Posted 2018-12-28 8:32 PM (#546305 - in reply to #546304)

Dave, it just seemed that you were almost informally or formally litigating something with each post. I would hate to be with you in a T-storm. Hopefully, '19 will be better for you.

DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-28 9:14 PM (#546306 - in reply to #546024)

Dang Jay...I’ll be days on end getting that HeeHaw bit out of my brain!
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-12-29 3:21 AM (#546307 - in reply to #546024)

@Dave - >>>I consider this to be the best deal of the 5 or 6 Ovations I've owned. I wouldn’t take a double refund to return this guitar.<<<

I swear, you aren't real. It's like your posts are actually an experiment from the psych department at some university to observe how we respond.

My quandary as a rat in that experiment being something that I and fellow rats don't seem to yet comprehend- - - if your purchase brought you such a glorious result, why then would you care about.. of all things.. the ad? Like buying a 100-pound box of raw diamonds for $5, then finger-wagging the seller for not mentioning that an occasional mining pebble might be mixed in. As a previous poster wrote, maybe you should instead be making a trinket holiday season charity donation to Goodwill in appreciation of the fruitful bounty they provided you with!

@Dave - >>>The pain post surgery was the absolute worst I've ever endured.<<<

Sorry to hear that. No, really, I am. I wish pain on no one. But.. heck.. sometimes what comes around goes around on its own accord.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-29 12:49 PM (#546311 - in reply to #546307)

Love O Fair - 2018-12-29 3:21 AM

@Dave - >>>I consider this to be the best deal of the 5 or 6 Ovations I've owned. I wouldn’t take a double refund to return this guitar.<<<

I swear, you aren't real. It's like your posts are actually an experiment from the psych department at some university to observe how we respond.

My quandary as a rat in that experiment being something that I and fellow rats don't seem to yet comprehend- - - if your purchase brought you such a glorious result, why then would you care about.. of all things.. the ad? Like buying a 100-pound box of raw diamonds for $5, then finger-wagging the seller for not mentioning that an occasional mining pebble might be mixed in. As a previous poster wrote, maybe you should instead be making a trinket holiday season charity donation to Goodwill in appreciation of the fruitful bounty they provided you with!

@Dave - >>>The pain post surgery was the absolute worst I've ever endured.<<<

Sorry to hear that. No, really, I am. I wish pain on no one. But.. heck.. sometimes what comes around goes around on its own accord.

I swear you crack me up with your logic. And here I THOUGHT we had made great strides in becoming more like minded on a forum where we openly acknowledge our mutual love of a once great, innovative guitar manufacturer. The box of diamonds analogy... how about I propose another scenario. Would I be within my rights to be ticked off if I ordered a custom private jet and it was built with the cockpit in the rear? Ya see this could go on ad infinitum... no, make that ad nauseum. I highly doubt anybody here wouldn’t have pointed out the lack of mention of a through the finish gouge in the top in the ad copy. As far as donations to Goodwill, I’ve driven two truckloads to them of deceased family members estate items. Didn’t even take the tax donation paperwork. These comments are quickly straying into the realm of fake news. I will concede to the added entertainment value as well. I just can’t wait to be recovered enough to take this guitar to my weekly jam and songwriter night. The idea of my pain being something deserved that’s come around... I don’t think that’s how karma functions. If anything my guitarma was likely earned when I obtained a vintage archtop for a small, frail older lady at my jam and gifted it to her. She now has a manageable size guitar she can play without tiring. Peace, love and out.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-12-29 6:39 PM (#546316 - in reply to #546024)

>>>I will concede to the added entertainment value as well.<<<

Well, hell, Dave, I THOUGHT we'd made that concession long before matching custom-order jets with thrift store guitars.
--Banter upon your topics is a worthy sport.
--Ovation is still a great company.
--Your pain is no more "deserved" than cream is to coffee. Some like it black.
--I agree.. peace, love and out. Go play your 1112.
--Happy new year.

DaveKell
Posted 2018-12-29 7:23 PM (#546317 - in reply to #546316)

Love O Fair - 2018-12-29 6:39 PM

>>>I will concede to the added entertainment value as well.<<<

--I agree.. peace, love and out. Go play your 1112.
--Happy new year.

And you as well. I’ll add that the attendant problem of playing a huge lute shape instrument is doubled while trussed up in a full torso back brace, but I’m managing.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)