The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Fun Project - Made a Custom Truss Rod Cover For My Dan Savage Parlor

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Patch
Posted 2018-09-13 1:54 PM (#545226)
Subject: Fun Project - Made a Custom Truss Rod Cover For My Dan Savage Parlor

Many of you remember the custom parlor project Dan put together for me earlier this year.

The only thing I really wanted to change was to get rid of the plastic TRC, so I asked Dan to put a carved one I sent on there. But strangely enough, I didn't quite like how it looked. The Walnut was just too stark a contrast to the redwood top and rosewood binding, so I started thinking....I know, I know...."a dangerous pastime."

As often happens when one overthinks a hobby, a simple idea develops a life of its own. So here's what happened:

I wanted something to pick up the rosewood binding, so I ordered a "not-too-expensive" (aka...cheap) headplate veneer from eBay.

I then drew up a basic template in Microsoft Publisher in a church window motif; nothing too ornate, but I liked it in the end.

I then printed it out and taped it to the veneer. After failing to find anyone locally willing to cut them out for me, I got the bright idea to take it with my on our annual trip to the Kutztown Folk Festival in PA. There are always lots of "woodsy" type craft stalls there, and sure enough, I found someone willing to help me out...

I had him cut out two windows and two blanks. (BOY did that turn out to be prescient!!!!)

The idea was to place each window on a blank before finishing and trimming. We traveled from PA to visit my father in VA, and I took advantage of his basement workspace to finish trimming out the pieces and sand them to size.

It was during the final filing of one edge that I managed to snap one of the windows. Thank goodness for the second one!!!

I managed not to snap that one, although I misplaced one of the screw holes. However, a little filler and color makes you have to look for it. And after sanding and finishing it with a nice gloss, I knew I had the right idea. I am probably going to do this for some of my other guitars as well, matching woods and aesthetics as I go. (And probably just using a single screw at the top instead of three. Without a drill press, it's kind of hard to perfectly place the holes, so better safe than sorry...know what I mean? )

After all of that, I can only say: "This looks really cool!!!!"

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-09-13 4:45 PM (#545227 - in reply to #545226)
Subject: Re: Fun Project - Made a Custom Truss Rod Cover For My Dan Savage Parlor

Very cool idea, Patch. It looks terrific!
DanSavage
Posted 2018-09-13 4:50 PM (#545228 - in reply to #545226)
Subject: Re: Fun Project - Made a Custom Truss Rod Cover For My Dan Savage Parlor

Nice job, Patch.

Since you're planning to do this again, let me pass along this little tip.

Instead of taping the templates to the wood, get a can of spray glue and put a light coat of glue on the back of the template, then stick it down to the wood.

It will keep the template in place while you cut the holes. When you're all done cutting, just use some naphtha (lighter fluid/Coleman camp fuel) to soften the glue and the template will peel right off the wood.

Then, use a little more naphtha to clean any remaining glue residue from the wood, if needed.
Patch
Posted 2018-09-13 5:10 PM (#545229 - in reply to #545226)
Subject: RE: Fun Project - Made a Custom Truss Rod Cover For My Dan Savage Parlor

Yep, I was definitely at the bottom of the learning curve Dan. Although in my defense, I originally figured this attempt would rurn into a bit of an object lesson, so I could do it right next time.But it turned out nice enough ro go ahead and mount it. Of course, now I'm thinking about doing others, along with all the other ideas such thoughts happen to dig up.

Nancy
Posted 2018-09-14 9:19 AM (#545232 - in reply to #545229)
Subject: RE: Fun Project - Made a Custom Truss Rod Cover For My Dan Savage Parlor

THAT is COOL!!!!
LOVE that Design, Cathedral Windows, and it looks Gorgeous on the Headstock!
GREAT Job Patch!!!
cholloway
Posted 2018-09-14 9:44 AM (#545233 - in reply to #545226)

Very classic looking. Good job!
arumako
Posted 2018-09-14 5:58 PM (#545235 - in reply to #545226)

Beautiful work Patch! Really creative too. Thanks for sharing!
ovie26
Posted 2018-09-14 6:40 PM (#545236 - in reply to #545226)

Very cool, Patch! I love your redwood guitars!
hwebster
Posted 2018-09-14 7:46 PM (#545237 - in reply to #545226)

Nice! Good job,
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-09-14 11:06 PM (#545239 - in reply to #545226)

That does look Good.

And it is always good to get "spares" just in case something untoward happens.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-09-18 12:33 PM (#545265 - in reply to #545226)

Great idea! I love special trussrod covers!! Yours is trussrod cover art at it´s best. What a fine work on an extraordinary guitar. You should do more, next time with colored glass windows?

I added a metal inlay in the trussrod cover of my Adamas 2008:

or this special trc on the old custom legend 12string:

Edited by DetlefMichel 2018-09-18 12:44 PM
DaveKell
Posted 2018-09-20 9:59 AM (#545287 - in reply to #545226)

Wow do I EVER have some ideas after this thread! Time to get out my Dremel and StewMac router attachment, my pearl blanks and get after a few of these myself. Thanks!
alpep
Posted 2018-09-20 12:26 PM (#545288 - in reply to #545226)

nice
ProfessorBB
Posted 2018-09-21 8:12 AM (#545300 - in reply to #545226)

Really beautiful. Nice project.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)