The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
BC-2-6 Bass Guitar

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Sphinxie
Posted 2018-09-04 2:03 PM (#545135)
Subject: BC-2-6 Bass Guitar

Hello, folks. Just came home from the 'gently used' music store with a new-to-me bass. It felt nice, it played well, and it was reasonably priced, so I bought it. I've owned guitars for years but only in the last few months have I made any real effort to learn to play and now I can't leave them alone. Most strings, really. There are guitars and ukuleles all over the house and now there's a second bass.

It's my first Ovation but I'm familiar with the company so I guess I just assumed that there would be information about a cream-colored, PJ-pupped, Celebrity BC-2-6. After all, everyone knows who Ovation is. Well, that may be true, but no one seems to be sharing much information on their solid-bodied, Korean-made (it's marked as such), bass guitars. Then I found this forum and if anyone would know, a fan club would, right? So, I'm curious.
Are they that uncommon or just simply so disliked that no one talks about them?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sphinxie
Posted 2018-09-04 3:34 PM (#545139 - in reply to #545135)
Subject: RE: BC-2-6 Bass Guitar Photo Added

Photo Added.
Sphinxie
Posted 2018-09-04 3:35 PM (#545140 - in reply to #545139)
Subject: RE: BC-2-6 Bass Guitar Photo Added

a
Sphinxie
Posted 2018-09-04 3:35 PM (#545141 - in reply to #545135)
Subject: Re: BC-2-6 Bass Guitar

Hmmmmmm. Trying to add a photo and I seem to have blundered twice. My apologies.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-09-04 4:53 PM (#545142 - in reply to #545135)

Like this?

I know nothing about bass guitars.
But I do know how to search for images.
Sphinxie
Posted 2018-09-04 6:45 PM (#545145 - in reply to #545135)

Arthur! That's it exactly. I was trying to add a picture of my own and the process seems to have escaped me. Which I'm a little embarrassed by, being pretty computer savvy. But that shows it pretty accurately. Different guitar, same set up.

I e-mailed Ovation about them and their reply, which was remarkably quick, was that even though they were available between '87 and '89, the only production was done in '87. Which to me says, "One brief run and done." He said they have almost no information on them and he couldn't even find them in the old catalogs. I've found a little here and there in the meantime this afternoon. No one seems to know how many models there were, BC-2 BC-3 etc. how many pick-up configurations, at least three, possibly more, maybe less, how many colors, or even how many were made. Only that they don't show up often. I typed "BC-2-6" into the Googler and got 0 hits. BC-2 only brought up a few. They came out, people didn't take to them, presumably because Ovation's not known for their solid-body basses and this model isn't tremendously ground-breaking in its design and application. After they didn't sell, they dropped the line. On one site there was an opinion that there were fewer than 20 in existence, which I find impossible to believe.

It definitely qualifies as a piece of bass esoterica if nothing else. When I was looking at it, I asked the man at the counter, "What can you tell me about the Ovation?"and pointed at the bass. He started to walk toward the acoustics. I said, "No. This one. The bass." "Oh," he said, "yeah. That's not an Ovation." "Sure it is." "No. It's a Celebrity. Not an Ovation." "Yeah. A Celebrity model that was made by Ovation," and I showed him the neck plate which clearly says, "Ovation". "Hmmm," he said, "didn't know that. Well, what can I tell you? It plays, it has new strings. It's $150" "Do you take credit cards?" As I left, he was looking them up on the net. It was a pretty good natured exchange, even though my description doesn't sound like it. They're always very nice to me there.

Back to the original question though, does anyone know anything substantial about them or have I brought home a mystery that I already enjoy playing? Either way, it's a keeper. A rarity, and a keeper.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2018-09-04 7:12 PM (#545147 - in reply to #545135)

They did make a bunch of them, for a couple of years. They aren't special in a collectible way, but they were fine basses for what they were. If the neck has stayed straight, play it. If it hasn't pulled by now (just in general, on any guitar that old), then it likely is fine for the foreseeable future.
Sphinxie
Posted 2018-09-04 7:25 PM (#545148 - in reply to #545135)

Thanks for the reply. As for the neck, straight as an arrow. It was the first thing I checked. If it hasn't had a setup done recently, then it wasn't played much. Everything is spot on. And I paid less for it than any other like it that I find a price listed for. So I'm happy. Plus it means I have something to wander around the house with. I have a sofa acoustic guitar, a sofa ukulele. Now I have a sofa bass.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)