The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello, just bought a Breadwinner and wanted to get it restrung and there's an amp problem

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Bagwell
Posted 2018-08-09 6:46 PM (#544845)
Subject: Hello, just bought a Breadwinner and wanted to get it restrung and there's an amp problem

Hi, great page full of information.
I just bought a Breadwinner and it seems like its a 72 or 73 from what I have researched. It is white in great shape with nylon saddles, 1/4" jack on the end of guitar and seems to have the first series pickups on it. I checked the two 9v batteries under back plate and tried it with a small amp I have. It plays and all the switches seem to work although the 3 way switch feels a little loose in the toggle. the neck pickup seems to be set lower into the body at this time and I guess I should go thru the manual I downloaded and check to see how everything should be set up originally.
This is my problem, I plug into the amp and it plays for a little while and then just quits amplifying. I unplug from the guitar and plug back in and it works again and does the same thing after a few minutes or 5. Any help with where I should start would be great. Im sure the preamp could have loose electronics and solder joints or anything else from a 40 plus year old guitar.

Thanks and look forward to enjoying the forum,
Vaughn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2018-08-09 8:59 PM (#544848 - in reply to #544845)
Subject: Re: Hello, just bought a Breadwinner and wanted to get it restrung and there's an amp problem

<p>Sounds like a capacitor problem, but might not be a bad part. Ensure the jack on the guitar is clean (the inside). The preamp "turns on" when you plug the guitar in, and cleaning might do the trick, but... it sounds more like a filter cap is failing. Electrolytic caps have a lifespan. There are a few on the circuit. Easy enough to replace. If you know an electronics guy, even if they don't know much about the guitar, you should be able to ask them to replace the caps and they could get you back in business.  The fact that the pre-amp works, even for a little while, is a very good sign.</p>
Bagwell
Posted 2018-08-09 9:54 PM (#544849 - in reply to #544845)
Subject: Re: Hello, just bought a Breadwinner and wanted to get it restrung and there's an amp problem

Thanks for the reply. I will start with a cleaning and go from there
Thanks, Vaughn
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)