The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Here We Go Again...My Custom "Book" Elite, For Sale or Trade

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Patch
Posted 2018-07-19 12:30 PM (#544533)
Subject: Here We Go Again...My Custom "Book" Elite, For Sale or Trade

A while back, I posted this thread, however my wife talked me into keeping it and trying to repair it. (Admittedly, t took her all of 30 seconds to convince me...) But sadly, things have turned for the worse here in the Hudson Valley, so I am going to be moving some things, and this one is the obvious first choice since it was for sale once already.

To be perfectly clear, I don't want to do this, but I simply cannot afford to deal with it, and it deserves better. Many of you will remember that this was one of my first custom re-builds and involved a "Book" Elite that was damaged in shipping. In 2009, the guitar needed a new top/bowl assembly and I had the factory customize it with a carved Ebony bridge and a glossed neck which makes all of that abalone trim on the headstock just jump out at you! (This is my very favorite Ovation headstock!) And the sound was wonderful. I later learned that the original bridges were pinned to the top, but not so this one with its new bridge. I don't know if that was the difference or not, but it sounded stellar.

So why sell/trade it? That's the bad news. I came into my office a year ago (Which is climate controlled and humidified.) and found a big ol' crack from the bridge to the pin. It looks to all the world like it dried out, although I didn't know how. Eventually, I discovered that my humidifier was reading in the 40’s, but the actual humidity was hovering around 30’ish. Mystery solved, but a little too late. (And just like that, a new humidifier and an independent humidistat materialzed in my office!)

To be painfully honest, I simply cannot afford the repair, and it's too nice a guitar to put in a case forever, so let's try this. I had hoped to get it to Dan Savage or the factory eventually, but life has suddenly dictated otherwise. If this was still in perfect shape (Which it was the day before I found the crack.), I would ask at least $2200 for it. So I will ask a low enough price for someone to get it fixed up and still come out ahead.

But first, take a look. These are older pictures, except for the last one of course, but it looks exactly the same except I pillaged its pre-amp for use in my parlor project. It has minimal fret wear and no other issues I know of. The last picture is the crack, and it speaks for itself, obviously going through the top. It could be cleated or replaced, whichever suits the new owner best. Terms, such as they are, will follow.

So here's what I'm thinking. If you want to buy it, I'll take $850 shipped in the US. That means you can have the factory put a new top/bowl assembly on it and still come in well under $2K, which is an absolute STEAL for this instrument. (If you just have them glue the crack, it would be even less.) I can ship it either to you or directly to New Hartford, whichever you prefer. If you replace the top and bowl there, they can also upgrade you to a newer pre-amp as well. (Heck, catch me on a good day, and I'll even drive it to the factory personally. I can use the break.) You could also work out something with Dan Savage if he is interested. I can personally vouch for the quality of his work. (As can several other OFC members.)

Alternatively, I am willing to trade. There are certain models on my wish list, and I am open to ideas. (Admittedly, I like models that are a little harder to find, but you never know.) The only caveat being that I don't want to trade damaged guitars (I can't afford repairs, remember.); minor blemishes are OK, but nothing too obvious. Also, as I am hurting for cash at the moment, it is possible that what you trade me might go up for sale pretty quickly, just so you know. Some possibilities in no particular order:

• An EA-68 Viper (not black)
  • A 1997 Collector
  • A 2002 Collector
  • An 87 Collector
  • A 1537
  • A 96 Collector
  • Other ideas?

If we are trading, we each pay our respective shipping. I am also willing to meet somewhere within a reasonable distance.

As one last positive note about the quality of this guitar, I once had two 1987 Collectors, one black and one natural. I let them both go because if you backed me into a corner a forced me to admit it, I liked this one better in both looks AND sound. (And there was some GAS involved too at the time, so I actually was backed into a corner. )

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2018-07-28 10:34 AM (#544654 - in reply to #544533)
Subject: RE: Here We Go Again...My Custom "Book" Elite, For Sale or Trade

Wow! Nothin'!

Sold off forum....

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-07-28 11:10 AM (#544655 - in reply to #544654)
Subject: RE: Here We Go Again...My Custom "Book" Elite, For Sale or Trade

Patch - 2018-07-28 8:34 AM

Wow! Nothin'!

Sold off forum....

Many members of the OFC (old fart's club) are poor.
Waiting for the SS Check.

Glad that you were able to sell it somehow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)