The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Starting with a Preacher neck... nothing else, lol.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Fisch
Posted 2018-03-22 9:10 PM (#541807)
Subject: Starting with a Preacher neck... nothing else, lol.

Hi folks. Scott Fischer here. And I am a bit of a bizarre guitar addict. Which would naturally lead me to Ovation solid body electrics.

I bought a NOS what I am guessing is a Preacher (Breadwinner?) 24.75" scale neck a number of years ago. Right around the time they closed the CT factory if I have my dates correct. It was unfinished, and even the frets were not finished (Still arent, lol.) Had a bit of binding damage along the bottom which is why I am guessing they didn't use it? Because it is a fabulous neck. (Which is why I want to build one.)

I am an artists who loves to customize things, and I built a self amplified 'robot' guitar with this neck using a VOX portable amplifier and a butcher block. (I had a thing for self amplified guitars.) But now-a-days I am less concerned with portability, and long story short, would like to return it to a normal (preferably Ovation) solid body. (I will build a new cab for the amp, lol.)

Because I am a customizer at heart I have no problem getting creative. But how great would it be to at least find a stock body and 'gasp' bridge to start with! What is nuts is that I've noticed the 'grey-burst' finish on Preachers and Vipers and UKii's looks close to my robot custom. If I found one of those bodies I may not even need to repaint the neck! And since I am basically starting form scratch, I don't think the Ovation gods would frown on me for not staying stock. I have a couple Duncan hotrails collecting dust right now.

I've been hunting on ebay. But the only Preacher body on there seems a little steep at north of $200 with no bridge, when it seems the going rate for a body alone is under $100. At least the last few I could find records of selling. (That bridge is another $tory.) I do like that the ebay preacher is the extended pickguard one and not the isolated 4-pot stereo body.

I can't believe I missed this Preacher body on Reverb. Had the electronics and bridge for $165!
https://reverb.com/item/10865834-ovation-preacher-guitar-body-1970s

I dig the heck out of the Viper body, but my understanding is that is a 25.5" scale guitar. So either the bridge or neck pocket would need to move?

Would also love a UKII body, but I am wondering why Ovation decided (At least from my reading.) to glue the neck into the UKII body, and have the bolts in addition? Also with a plastic and aluminum construction, modding the bod if needed would be tough.

Anyway, just wanted to do a little intro. See if anyone has something in their stash. I will attach some pics of my collection- some of my customs and the neck in question.

Therapy Nook

THe ovation neck I have.

Some customs! Mostly a vintage Japanese guitar guy. Serious Teisco addict.

One I am working on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-03-22 11:05 PM (#541808 - in reply to #541807)
Subject: Re: Starting with a Preacher neck... nothing else, lol.

Hi Fisch,

Are you sure that your Ovation Neck is not from a UKII;

As to "why glue and bolts?"
Why not. Pants and Suspenders.
The sustain of a Set Neck with the ability to remove and reattach the neck.
I have heard/read of many people who put a piece of paper with glue in the neck pocket of a bolt-on neck.
The glue adds sustain, and the piece of paper allows you to separate the parts.
As to "modding" the body, the Ultra Kaman 2 was designed as the Ultimate guitar.
No modifications needed.

Only a limited number of people are able to respond in the "Welcome Center"...
Would you like access to post in the rest of site?

BTW-- I've got one of those little Pignose Guitars.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2018-03-22 11:11 PM

(PICT0427a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PICT0427a.jpg (80KB - 0 downloads)
Fisch
Posted 2018-03-22 11:49 PM (#541809 - in reply to #541807)

I would love access to the rest of the site! Thanks. It could be a UKii neck I imagine. Not sure how to tell the difference? I love my little Pignose. I think I will sell my fernandes Nomads and keep the pignose. I put one of the pignose onboard amps into the Teisco project I am working on and it fed back like crazy with that microphonic goldfoil pickup!

I almost bought a UKII body for this neck on ebay, but wasn't sure if it 'had' to be glued in or not or if there was a specific reason?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-03-23 12:19 AM (#541810 - in reply to #541807)

Congratulations. You are now a Member of the Ovation FanClub.

As to whether a UKII neck "has" to be glued-in, I have no idea.
There are people here who know much more about such things.
You can do a "Forum Search" (upper left-hand header) for such things.

You can re-post this into the "General Posting" section...
Or in the "For Sale" section as a WTB (want to buy).
Either way, you will get more responses.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2018-03-23 3:07 AM (#541812 - in reply to #541807)

Hi there,
UKII neck doesn't' "have" to be glued... Ovation used to put a little glue on a piece of newsprint before bolting on the necks. It gave them I nice fit, but easily came off if needed with just a pop. As far as scale goes... the bridges have enough intonation to be either scale (and I guess everything in between if they must). That robot guitar is very cool
Fisch
Posted 2018-03-23 6:35 AM (#541813 - in reply to #541812)

Wow that is great to hear, as I am a fan of the Viper body for sure. And thanks for the clarification on the glue in the neck pocket!

So it looks like I can hunt for a Viper, Preacher, Ukii, Breadwinner/Preacher and still use this neck. (So long as I find the bridge!)
alpep
Posted 2018-03-23 1:17 PM (#541821 - in reply to #541807)

wow.....
very cool stuff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)