The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Kerrville Emerging Songwriters Competition

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-19 6:14 PM (#541717 - in reply to #541433)
Subject: Re: Kerrville Emerging Songwriters Competition

Okay... now that the preliminaries are accomplished, if I could figure out how to post the mp3's of the raw recordings you could hear the melodies and suffer through my voice. Ample warning, a Darkbar I'm not when it comes to a singing voice. Another ample warning, they're raw recordings of just me and the guitar and I had raging bronchitis when I did them as well. My friend with the recording studio just cleaned up on a sale of stock and is investing the money into his recording studio which is currently torn apart. He promised me I am first up when the new equipment is in place.

As for Texas college athletics... I'll pass on any comments. A few years back my oldest son was attending Texas Tech while his little brother was at U of Texas at Austin. They were both home when their schools were playing each other in a football game. They're both fanatical sports fans. I was afraid I was gonna have to call the Sheriff on them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Darkbar
Posted 2018-03-19 7:23 PM (#541718 - in reply to #541716)

Mark in Boise - 2018-03-19 6:52 PM

I'll join the fan club for Dave's lyrics. Having tried once to write a song, I know how hard it was for me. It's good to see some that make sense. It's a shame that there are so many good songwriters out there who aren't appreciated, while there are rappers and hip hop artists making big bucks. Most of their lyrics are crap and they don't even have to worry about the melody.

Songwriting is indeed quite difficult. I've only written a few that I would ever even consider letting others read or hear, and even then I would be ready and prepared to be laughed at. That said, I CARE too much about what my lyrics are saying. I'm not so sure all hip hop/ rap artists are as concerned about the artistic quality of their work, as much as the emotion they are trying to express.....anger, rage, violence, sex, etc. It's just different, but it certainly appeals to their audience...
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-19 10:36 PM (#541724 - in reply to #541433)

Sheet music for today's rap and hip hop must really be something to see. That is assuming it even exists in that form. Probably more like crayon scribbled on a Taco Bell bag.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-20 8:53 AM (#541727 - in reply to #541718)
Subject: deleted double posting

Edited by DaveKell 2018-03-20 8:58 AM
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-20 8:55 AM (#541728 - in reply to #541718)

Darkbar - 2018-03-19 7:23 PM
Songwriting is indeed quite difficult. I've only written a few that I would ever even consider letting others read or hear, and even then I would be ready and prepared to be laughed at. That said, I CARE too much about what my lyrics are saying.

For me, songwriting is very easy. I guess part of that is because I majored in comparative literature at Indiana University. For instance, the Buddy She's Yours Now song came about like this. I was driving across Georgia several months ago vaguely listening to an interview on the radio with a guy in a troubled marriage. When asked if the marriage will survive, his reply was "if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise". I turned off the radio since my wife was asleep. I began to wonder about that old expression and what might happen in the marriage if the Lord wasn't willin'? I made up that song in my head while driving down the road, in probably about the time it took to go 40 miles before I pulled into a rest stop and wrote it down from memory.

The song AnnaLou literally came to me during the twenty minute drive home from my Friday night jam session. I was thinking about the elegant looking lady in her 80's who always attends the jam with her glorious sounding ancient J45 Gibson. When I got home, I got my guitar back out and within minutes the song was finished in the way it's currently written out. I wrote a second version of it to play for AnnaLou at the next jam, minus the bridge with lines like "we won't have her much longer". I'm sure the reason why is incredibly apparent! Anyway, she loved it and requests it at every jam anymore. The last time I forgot and sang this version and when I got to the bridge I had to pretend I forgot some of the new lines I wrote.

When I was a child, probably around 8 years old, I laid down on the top bunk in my bedroom with a notebook and wrote two songs. I didn't play any instruments then of course, I just heard a melody in my head. I left the pages laying out on my bunk. My dad came home from work and had a few friends with him. They'd stopped for a few beers before arriving. For some reason, my dad went into my bedroom and found the songs on my bed. I was in the living room with his friends who were drinking more beers. My dad came out of the bedroon, literally belly laughing at the top of his lungs, and said "hey guys, listen to this. It looks my son is writing songs!". He laughed his way through reading what I had written while I sat mortified as the other two joined in the loud laughter. The only line I remember him repeating over and over was "I don't care if it's Zsa Zsa Gabor, you were supposed to love me more". Thinking about that line now, it seems out of place, unless I was approaching it from the standpoint of talking to a bisexual lover who was cheating on me with a woman. Clearly, I had a long way to go with songwriting. However, the emotional deep scarring left on me that day by that incredible parenting fail meant I never considered songwriting to be anything more than a way to be ridiculed from that point on. Well, my dad offed himself two months before Elvis died at the same age my dad was. Songwriting slowly came back into the picture eventually.

The 83 year old Texas music legend who runs our Friday jam session began suggesting several months ago that someone introduce some new songs into our usual repertoire of ancient country (I'm usually the youngest guy there at age 65). I thought he meant more recent songs by different artists so I sang some Eagles and Ray Wiley Hubbard. It fell very flat with all the old cowboys there. I later learned he meant why didn't someone try writing new songs for us all to learn. I jumped right in and have been bringing a new one every week since. A couple of them have become favorites we have to do at every jam. The old Tele picker who leads the jam and does all the solo improvising is now excited about the idea of us forming a band out of the better pickers at the jam and putting on a show at a local Opry sanctioned venue, performing all this original new material. I find it equally sad and amusing that a guy very near death's door is so enthusiastic about a comeback gig at his age, but he's become a friend I love to death and am supporting him.

Wow, I must be boring you all to death with this diatribe so I'll end it now. I'd only add that I have no ego attachment to my compositions and am entirely open to suggestions for wording changes.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-20 2:33 PM (#541731 - in reply to #541433)

Just some amateur writing thoughts over a cup of rainy day coffee---

First for the easy stuff-- I can write slapstick lyrics and attach them to simple-chord tunes and beat at an instant's whim. All day long, not difficult at all. Fifteen minutes later there it is complete. I've been doing that since my teens, but it's not like anyone really wants to hear a silly song about a sandwich on a truck stop menu, or a hot air balloon stuck in sewage pond, or a ballet dancer with a booger on her nose. At least not more than once for a moment's chuckle. Only guys like Jerry Reed and Ray Stevens could ever have gotten away on that kind of musical humor with longevity. Still lots of fun though.

On the heavy, emotional side-- one example is that lately I've been working on a piece about 35 college kids who died in the bombing of Pan Am 103. A topic that I have been very deeply delved into for 30 years, I can name them all, but when I try to work on something like that I always find myself asking inwardly, "How dare I?". It wasn't MY event. I wasn't there. So much suffering and it's not really any of MY business to be writing about it. Anything non-fiction or historical that I wasn't a part of seems to end up that way.. so it gets parked aside because of that sentiment, or maybe until I can find a proper proxy that would apply to myself. Those are the toughest for me.

Then, of course, there are love songs. I recently learned that Lionel Richie wrote the entire second verse of "Lady" while he was sitting on the crapper and Kenny Rogers was waiting in the next room. I mean, how simple are those lyrics.. but wow.. what an impact they made. Again, it's only the established and famous with endless industrial resources who seem to get away with that stuff. The rest of us have to actually mold it into something unique.. and we have to openly expose our emotions about a personal love in front of others whom we most likely know personally-- most, if not all, who wouldn't know the difference between an A-minor tone and a tire screech, but somehow *think* they are industry critics (Dave and his dad's drinking buddies are a prime example of that). I've written a handful of love songs for my wife and our lives together.. but usually only for her and maybe her parents. It's no one else's business beyond that. However, there is also an alternate and stealth approach to it. Do y'all here know the song, "Always With Me, Always With You", by Joe Satriani?* To me that is positively the most romantic song ever written.. and not a single lyric in it. That is definitely the most pleasurable way for me to write a love song-- mixing masculine and feminine tones. Man, if my guitars only knew the images they are playing to! Joe's sure did.

And then, finally, musical composition talent. On a 1-10, mine is about a 4. Always stuck on the same old beats and melody structures. Yuck. Just yuck. I guess the good part is that I have recently semi-retired, and even though I began playing music around age 8, it wasn't up until these days that I actually began picking up a guitar or portable keyboard on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis. The finger callouses are starting to harden nicely now, as are the chord grips and transitions, so that helps a great deal. And I also converted a room in the house into a recording studio so that I can check my work aside from real time. With both open space and an enclosed dead booth, it's pretty rustic. I named it "Millend Studios" because it is mostly acoustically dampened with mill ends of thick upholstery fabric that a decorator friend donated for the cause. Very flowery in there.. lol.. but it works quite nicely. So on I go with my new aspirations of songwriting and instrumental talent honing. What a hoot!

Bottom line-- it ain't easy. At all.
(but you already knew that)

Oh, and PS: Dave, I knew that if I called you out enough that you would eventually cough up.. and again I applaud you for it. More guts than I. Great job!

* Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpMCGXWzCS0

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-03-20 2:52 PM
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-20 6:48 PM (#541734 - in reply to #541731)

Love O Fair - 2018-03-20 2:33 PM
And then, finally, musical composition talent. On a 1-10, mine is about a 4. Always stuck on the same old beats and melody structures. Yuck. Just yuck. I guess the good part is that I have recently semi-retired, and even though I began playing music around age 8, it wasn't up until these days that I actually began picking up a guitar or portable keyboard on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis. The finger callouses are starting to harden nicely now, as are the chord grips and transitions, so that helps a great deal. And I also converted a room in the house into a recording studio so that I can check my work aside from real time. With both open space and an enclosed dead booth, it's pretty rustic. I named it "Millend Studios" because it is mostly acoustically dampened with mill ends of thick upholstery fabric that a decorator friend donated for the cause. Very flowery in there.. lol.. but it works quite nicely. So on I go with my new aspirations of songwriting and instrumental talent honing. What a hoot!

Bottom line-- it ain't easy. At all.
(but you already knew that)

Oh, and PS: Dave, I knew that if I called you out enough that you would eventually cough up.. and again I applaud you for it. More guts than I. Great job!

I began guitar around age 9 after my dad saw the Beatles (with me) on their first American tv appearance. Maybe it gave him second thoughts about where ya could go with songwriting. I have kicked myself for not applying myself more to playing guitar. I've had 50 years to get better at it but remain a hack. I have an innate ability to play rhythms flawlessly with tons of strumming techniques, but my goal of solo improvising has escaped me all my life. One of the books I read about pitching your songs said if you form your own publishing company (to keep the other 50% of your song earning split) to give it a noticeable name. That way, when a secretary is digging through stacks of publisher submissions, if your name catches her eye you stand a better chance of your demo cd being heard. I'm considering MoleAssez Music Publishing. We''ll see.

In the meantime, I guess I'll try to post a few of the raw recordings. Remember, a Darkbar I ain't with singing, and I had bad bronchitis while doing these!

https://soundcloud.com/user-566557345/anna-lou-with-solos

https://soundcloud.com/user-566557345/patches-on-the-heart

https://soundcloud.com/user-566557345/how-did-we-get-here

Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-20 7:19 PM (#541735 - in reply to #541433)

Dave.. why, oh why, didn't you post this work on here months ago? Then we wouldn't have been batting you around so much and you could have made us all look bad a long time back! If the rest of your jam group sounds like this, then I can clearly see why they weren't all that interested in the "new stuff" you laid on them. Damn Texans.. I know how you are. What I am hearing here is flavored so incredibly traditional, especially with such wide room on the environment values. Your voice isn't bad.. it's just distinct to the style. Nothing wrong with that, bronchitis and all. Thanks for the posts. See you at the Grammys.
stonebobbo
Posted 2018-03-20 10:12 PM (#541739 - in reply to #541433)

This has been a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Complete with a surprise ending.
Carry on.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-21 8:56 AM (#541749 - in reply to #541718)

Darkbar - 2018-03-19 7:23 PM
Songwriting is indeed quite difficult. I've only written a few that I would ever even consider letting others read or hear, and even then I would be ready and prepared to be laughed at. That said, I CARE too much about what my lyrics are saying.

I wonder why LOF, surely having read this comment, hasn't begun calling you out to post them yet? I guess I'll have to take up his torch and do it myself! I'm quite certain a guy like you who has such a way with words, many of them inspired by me, could have written a few noteworthy (such an applicable word here, right?) songs we'd like to see. I'll make you a deal, if you post two songs you've written, you can give me one of the titles of my alleged songs you mentioned in that list that began with Duane's Eyes, Tour Bus Tango, etc., and I'll write and post within 24 hours lyrics for the title you came up with. Seems like a very fair offer to me. As I myself have just learned, the profound lesson in this thread is that there is nothing to fear from people at the OFC (in fact, I'm ashamed of myself for suggesting that haters would savage my lyrics) and posting your lyrics is a great avenue to come out of your protective shell by.
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-21 9:22 AM (#541750 - in reply to #541735)

Love O Fair - 2018-03-20 7:19 PM

Dave.. why, oh why, didn't you post this work on here months ago? Then we wouldn't have been batting you around so much and you could have made us all look bad a long time back! If the rest of your jam group sounds like this, then I can clearly see why they weren't all that interested in the "new stuff" you laid on them. Damn Texans.. I know how you are. What I am hearing here is flavored so incredibly traditional, especially with such wide room on the environment values. Your voice isn't bad.. it's just distinct to the style. Nothing wrong with that, bronchitis and all. Thanks for the posts. See you at the Grammys.

Because months ago this work didn't exist. It's only been in the last 7 weeks or so that the old guy who runs the Friday jam began suggesting we come up with original material to replace the repertoire of ancient country gold we played endlessly, over and over.

Also, it's only been recently that I watched an old video of Paul McCartney describe his songwriting process and decided to give it a try. In it he said something to the effect of words and phrases swirl around us in the ether we exist in on a constant basis. All you have to do is open your mind to be able to grasp enough of them to write a song (at that point in the video he was actually raising an arm and appearing to grasp something above his head out of the air). My experience with that process has been that while I am indeed composing things that seem to come from outside the core of who I am, there is a lengthy editing process involved once the task of setting the words to music takes place. And sometimes I just chuck the whole first write and replace it with my own version.

As for being "flavored so incredibly traditional", that's by direct intent. I always say I'm trying to come up with songs someone forgot to write 50 years ago. You also aren't the first person to comment that my voice isn't that bad and seems suited to the material I'm doing. While I wholeheartedly disagree with all of you on that, I'm stuck with my voice. Fortunately, because of the music community I've discovered lately near me, I now know the right people to take into the recording studio to sing on my demos as soon as my friend has his new equipment set up in place. I have a mic and amp out in my signpainting studio and have found a great setting on the amp and a level of a certain effects processor that renders my voice into something beyond what it actually is. I could record my own demos like that I guess, but the thing there is I have no desire to be a singer/songwriter, even though that is about the only way left to actually earn a decent living from music. Now, if I COULD sing like Darkbar, I'd have a different perspective on that.

As for the Grammys, I have absolute zero aspirations for that level of recognition, actually for any recognition. The occasional "hey, you're a great lyricist" doesn't sit well with me either. I find constructive criticism about as applicable to what I do as critical criticism. I ignore both of them. It's a lesson I learned when my dad brutally mocked me as a child with his parenting fail which, by the way, I steadfastly learned from and never once directed at any of my three offspring who are all married adults in successful careers with spouses who also have successful careers. While their dad is a broken down signpainter whose trade was replaced by computer technology in 1982 and now whiles away his supposed golden years lamenting that he never learned to play guitar better.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-21 3:19 PM (#541766 - in reply to #541433)

@DaveKell - "I wonder why LOF, surely having read this comment, hasn't begun calling you out to post them yet?"

I can answer that myself. It's because Darkbar has a huge pile of well-thought-out material online that.. what?.. a few million people have hit on. His genre of skill is obvious.. whereas yours, at the point of that comment, were only explanatories of typed verbiage. Darkbar has never said that his lyrical composition work was anything spectacular.. or.. "as good as it gets". To the contrary, actually. So that's why I never "called him out".

Now, if you would like to call ME out for calling YOU out.. that's another thing. Bring it. I will take your challenge if Darkbar doesn't want it.

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-03-21 3:22 PM
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-21 4:00 PM (#541768 - in reply to #541766)

Love O Fair - 2018-03-21 3:19 PM

@DaveKell - "I wonder why LOF, surely having read this comment, hasn't begun calling you out to post them yet?"

I can answer that myself. It's because Darkbar has a huge pile of well-thought-out material online that.. what?.. a few million people have hit on. His genre of skill is obvious.. whereas yours, at the point of that comment, were only explanatories of typed verbiage. Darkbar has never said that his lyrical composition work was anything spectacular.. or.. "as good as it gets". To the contrary, actually. So that's why I never "called him out".

Now, if you would like to call ME out for calling YOU out.. that's another thing. Bring it. I will take your challenge if Darkbar doesn't want it.

All this is true, but I don't think I saw any original material on his site. If I'm mistaken, please set me straight right away. Actually, all he said about original material was "Songwriting is indeed quite difficult. I've only written a few that I would ever even consider letting others read or hear, and even then I would be ready and prepared to be laughed at. That said, I CARE too much about what my lyrics are saying." Kinda sounds to me like he hasn't posted any original material, no? You constantly want to overlook the fact that it was not I who said my lyrics were "as good as it gets", that came from a guy who has been performing since I was 7 or 8 years old. My repeating it in no way set in stone any agreement with his assessment. I repeated it to set in stone my astonishment at his assessment. Believe it or not, I'd never say anything like that about myself, let alone allow myself to believe it. As for calling you out, go for it if you wish. My offer was to Darkbar to write lyrics to the title of his choosing from the list he already ascribed to me. It was a tongue in cheek offer, as most of his and my interactions are. At least, that's how I view them. Actually, I'd like to see lyrics/recordings from as many people here as are willing. However, I'm not willing to begin writing from song titles given to me as a quid pro quo from others who want to participate. Only from Darkbar's list, ya know, that tongue in cheek thing (what exactly does that expression really mean?). Also, there is that fact that you never ascribed any fictitious titles to me, so it's too late for the offer to transfer to you. Hope you understand.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-21 5:22 PM (#541769 - in reply to #541433)

Well, hell, Dave. I kinda thought we were done splitting hairs and jousting blows on here and ready to move on to some actual songwriting grind. Maybe not. By all means, continue. And yes, I understand that you and Darkbar's sparing far precedes anything I dove into with you here. Understood. I've read it. And no, I don't know if he has any original work on his site.. so that's why I used the term "genre" in my comment since he is on there to teach, not compose, and he does a great job at it. Fair enough? Personally, I'm done with the sophomoric he-said-he-said stuff. This ain't Twitter. Fun for a while.. but sometimes the greatest of spirits rise from the ashes of initial conflict and I am hoping for that. Peace out. If y'all are up for that, then let's get on down to the art of the matter. Let me know. Until then I shall stand aside as an observer (maybe).
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-21 5:35 PM (#541770 - in reply to #541769)

Love O Fair - 2018-03-21 5:22 PM

Well, hell, Dave. I kinda thought we were done splitting hairs and jousting blows on here and ready to move on to some actual songwriting grind. Maybe not. By all means, continue. And yes, I understand that you and Darkbar's sparing far precedes anything I dove into with you here. Understood. I've read it. And no, I don't know if he has any original work on his site.. so that's why I used the term "genre" in my comment since he is on there to teach, not compose, and he does a great job at it. Fair enough? Personally, I'm done with the sophomoric he-said-he-said stuff. This ain't Twitter. Fun for a while.. but sometimes the greatest of spirits rise from the ashes of initial conflict and I am hoping for that. Peace out. If y'all are up for that, then let's get on down to the art of the matter. Let me know. Until then I shall stand aside as an observer (maybe).

Works well enough for me. "he is on there to teach" and does an excellent job of it as well. Maybe I could get him to expand into singing lessons? Kum ba ya. I'm in.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-03-21 5:52 PM (#541771 - in reply to #541433)

@DaveKell - "I'm in"

In how? Tell ya what.. if you would like to make a fresh new thread on the General Posting category titled "Songwriting", and post your lyrics or links on there (same ones as before if you want), then I'll see you over there and will gladly participate. I bet Darkbar will even be nice (maybe). Good?

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-03-21 5:57 PM
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-21 6:14 PM (#541772 - in reply to #541771)

Love O Fair - 2018-03-21 5:52 PM

@DaveKell - "I'm in"

In how? Tell ya what.. if you would like to make a fresh new thread on the General Posting category titled "Songwriting", and post your lyrics or links on there (same ones as before if you want), then I'll see you over there and will gladly participate. I bet Darkbar will even be nice (maybe). Good?

Sounds great to me. I'll get on it tomorrow sometime. First I have to do a ton of practice on two new songs I wrote for this Fridays jam session. I'll make time to post some other lyrics with the caveat that I'm open to suggestions on wording changes, sort of a digital age cowriting gig. Sounds like a rewarding pursuit that could generate a lot of interest.

At my jam, usually attended by 15-20 people, only one other guy opted to take on the challenge of introducing original material. So far, he has cowritten one song with me I'll post first as soon as I can. We're finding a great deal of reluctance to get anyone else to participate. Hopefully that won't be the case on here. Can't wait to see.
Darkbar
Posted 2018-03-21 7:21 PM (#541776 - in reply to #541433)

Ok... a sorta dumb song I wrote for my 20th high school reunion about a bar me and my friends used to hang out in

Charlie Went And Sold The A-Frame

I took off for a drive last week to see my old home town
Crossed the bridge to A1A and took a drive around
The place still looked the same
Not a hell of a lot has changed
But they closed my favorite bar
the old A-Frame, and that’s a shame.

The A Frame Inn was a roadside bar along the beach
A run down wooden juke-joint, nothing much to see
A horseshoe bar with cold bud draft
Quarter pool in the room out back
A smoky honky-tonk, and that’s a fact

Fifty cents for a cold beer and 2 bucks for a shot
A quarter for the jukebox, and the rockin’ never stopped
A wet beef sandwich, a side of fries
Shoot some pool with the local guys
Man, I sure do miss those days

The waves still rise and fall upon the shore
And A1A flies by just like before
Life moves on but it just don’t seem the same
Since Charlie went and sold the A-Frame

I still remember the songs the jukebox used to play
“Radar Love”, “China Grove”, and “Rocky Mountain Way”
Maybe Willie’s sad refrain
“Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain”
Man those songs can take me back again

I guess what made the A-Frame special doesn’t sound like much
Just another small town bar, but maybe that’s enough
A place where you could always go
To hang out with the friends you know
Just kick back and take it slow

It may sound crazy, but I miss that place
All the good time memories and every long lost face
Life moves on but it just don’t seem the same
Since Charlie went and sold the A-Frame

I don’t know why I took the news so hard
When I heard that someone bought the A-Frame Bar
Now it’s been replaced, they turned it into a seafood place
For a different crowd, with different tastes

Sometimes I find myself just wishing for those days
But “you can’t go home again”, I know that’s what they say
The good times come and go
Small towns change and friends grow old
and life moves on, but it’s still a shame
That Charlie went and sold the A Frame
Charlie went and sold the A Frame

Words & Music: R. Glisson

Edited by Darkbar 2018-03-21 7:23 PM
DaveKell
Posted 2018-03-21 7:30 PM (#541777 - in reply to #541433)

Impressive to say the least. Makes mew long for the place as well. Tomorrow I'll post one I wrote about the beer joint the old Tele picker who runs the jam used to own on Fort Worth's infamous Jacksboro Highway, yeah, that one that John Mayhall wrote a song about. It's a Texas two step beat I might get brave enough to post the raw recording of as well. I like this DB.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2018-03-21 8:02 PM (#541778 - in reply to #541771)

Nice, DB.
nerdydave
Posted 2018-03-21 10:40 PM (#541782 - in reply to #541433)

Me all I ever wrote was "I'll Never Forget Old What's Her Name".
nerdydave
Posted 2018-03-21 10:41 PM (#541783 - in reply to #541433)

Well maybe that's not quite true. I also co-wrote "Why Did Ya Believe Me When I Told Ya That I Loved Ya When Ya Know I've Been A Liar All My Life?"
Darkbar
Posted 2018-03-22 5:52 AM (#541784 - in reply to #541778)

Jonmark Stone - 2018-03-21 9:02 PM

Nice, DB.

THAT actually means something, coming from you. Thanks.

Edited by Darkbar 2018-03-22 5:54 AM
Ellem Ennopee
Posted 2019-09-18 3:27 PM (#549853 - in reply to #541706)
Subject: RE: Kerrville Emerging Songwriters Competition

DaveKell - 2018-03-19 12:56 PM

This song was lovingly written about an 84 year old lady who attends my weekly Friday jam session. She owns an exquisite 1964 cherry burst Gibson J45.

ANNA LOU
She's a backporch picker I see every weekend
Here I am gettin' schooled in playin' guitar again
She knows every song written longer than I've been around
She picks a fine old Gibson with the best guitar sound

(CHORUS)
ANNA LOU WOULD YOU SING THE SONG I LOVE
WITH YOUR VOICE LIKE AN ANGEL IN THE CHOIR ABOVE
PICK YOUR OLD GUITAR IT SOUNDS THE BEST OF ANY HERE
IN ANY KEY YOU CHOOSE IT IS MUSIC TO MY EAR

(SOLO AND THEN TO BRIDGE) (2nd time go to verse 2)

(BRIDGE)
Her fingers fly like lightnin'
Glidin' on the strings
The applause rings like thunder
Everytime she sings
We won't have her much longer
Her light is fading fast
But the happy smile on her face is the
Memory that will last
(TO CHORUS)

When she was a young girl she could turn all the boys head
Now she shows class and beauty with her simple songs instead
I'm so glad I know her and can call her a friend
When she starts in singin' I don't want it to end
(CHORUS)

(TAG AFTER LAST CHORUS)
You're a treasure with the music we all love to hear
IN ANY KEY YOU CHOOSE YOU ARE MUSIC TO MY EAR

I finally made it to the songwriter circle DaveKell invited me to and heard him play this song. I also met the very genteel lady at the coffee house the song is about. Too bad Mr. Dave didn't post a link to a recording of this, it's a very exciting song to hear in person plus he played two blistering bluegrass like solos in it. I remember how he announced the song. It went "this song is a little out of my range. Truthfully, the only range I have is in my kitchen". I didn't participate in the songwriter part or the open mic, I just wanted to go and watch the first time.
DaveKell
Posted 2019-09-23 2:24 PM (#549900 - in reply to #549853)
Subject: RE: Kerrville Emerging Songwriters Competition

I finally made it to the songwriter circle DaveKell invited me to and heard him play this song. I also met the very genteel lady at the coffee house the song is about. Too bad Mr. Dave didn't post a link to a recording of this, it's a very exciting song to hear in person plus he played two blistering bluegrass like solos in it. I remember how he announced the song. It went "this song is a little out of my range. Truthfully, the only range I have is in my kitchen". I didn't participate in the songwriter part or the open mic, I just wanted to go and watch the first time.

I wish you hadn't resurrected this thread! Too many memories of frying my brain to accept the songwriting challenge put forth by Darkbar! I must have succeeded though because he said it was pretty good. A major breakthrough I should've noted on my calendar to celebrate every year. Next time you need to bring your guitar. Don't worry about your skill level you mentioned, it's a very forgiving group. Heck, they like what I do and I'm a hack. The solos you mentioned were borrowed from I'll Fly Away, which I slightly altered to fit the melody of AnnaLou. If I had to improvise them on the fly it would've been a disaster. Please let this thread evaporate beack to obscurity!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)