The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
FS NY area 1979 Ovation 1117 $300

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

d'ovation
Posted 2018-02-20 12:55 PM (#541316)
Subject: FS NY area 1979 Ovation 1117 $300

This is not mine but as this seems like neat opportunity I thought I bring to the attention of the OFC. It's actually posted on the Guild Forum:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?195548-FS-Locally-1979-Ovation-1117-300

Edited by d'ovation 2018-02-20 12:57 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dba
Posted 2018-02-20 8:04 PM (#541320 - in reply to #541316)
Subject: Re: FS NY area 1979 Ovation 1117 $300

Unfortunately, unless you're registered on the Guild Forum, (I'm not), you can't view the listing or any accompanying photo.

Edited by dba 2018-02-20 8:05 PM
d'ovation
Posted 2018-02-22 3:59 PM (#541336 - in reply to #541320)

dba - 2018-02-20 8:04 PM Unfortunately, unless you're registered on the Guild Forum, (I'm not), you can't view the listing or any accompanying photo.

Right, and the LTG member can't get in here only to the Welcome section ... lol.

mavuser
Posted 2018-02-22 8:50 PM (#541347 - in reply to #541316)

Hello, and thanks very much d'ovation for helping me out.

I am selling this guitar. At this time due to all that is involved with shipping and packaging I am really hoping to sell it locally. I wanted to sell this week in Long Island, Brooklyn, or New York- but now that I have found the OFC I am willing to make arrangements to meet someone just about anywhere between Nassau County, Long Island, and Burlington Vermont, during the month of March (or sooner). Shipping can be arranged but depending on where you are located and some other logistics, there is a chance this guitar simply is not worth shipping.

1979 Ovation 1117. I am told this is the Legend model, without electronics.

$300 takes it. donation to be made to OFC if sold here.

when I got the guitar, the top was sunk, and there was belly behind the bridge. I humidified it for 3 months. within about half that time, the top leveled out some, but is not perfectly flat. sorry I have no real way to measure the dip or belly, and take a good picture. it is definetly better than it was, and not too bad. the top is not creased or cracked. my luthier looked at it, nothing to repair or re-glue...this guitar does not have any cross braces in the first place (thus, no loose braces, ha)

the neck, the back of the body, and headstock look brand new. there is just minimal signs of life on the first few frets/fretboard. no real tarnish on the gold tuners. upon very close inspection in the right light i can maybe see some very light pick marks on the top.

the action is low and the saddle high, she plays, feels, and sounds unbelievable. i thought about keeping it for these reasons, but i need to unload it.

original case. its not perfect but its all there for a 40 y/o Ovation case.

no returns accepted.

this guitar SINGS. even with the ancient strings on it (which I am not changing, but will toss in a set of brand new, factory sealed, D'addario acoustic 11s...11 is max gauge for this guitar when tuned to full pitch...if it lingers long enough I will change the strings myself, ha)

I will regret selling this guitar, or not selling this guitar. in this particular scenario, i choose to regret selling. the neck is perfect for me, and she sounds beautiful. however, I do not typically play round back guitars (they move around too much- I only play standing up), so i would really be ok parting with basically any Ovation.

here is my photo album-

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?a...

did that work??

did i leave anything out? thanks for looking. -Eric

Edited by mavuser 2018-02-22 8:54 PM
mavuser
Posted 2018-02-22 9:13 PM (#541348 - in reply to #541316)

when i try to link the photos here directly, it tells me the photos are too big. please confirm that my above link to the photo album will suffice for this FS, thanks very much all, cheers.
DanSavage
Posted 2018-02-23 4:48 PM (#541368 - in reply to #541316)
Subject: RE: FS NY area 1979 Ovation 1117 $300

Let's test one image.

This looks like it worked okay.

The photo album link should suffice for interested buyers. (nice Legend, BTW)

Edited by DanSavage 2018-02-23 4:49 PM
mavuser
Posted 2018-02-24 7:46 AM (#541374 - in reply to #541316)

thanks Dan for the assist. and to the rest of the group as well.

i am 99 percent not shipping this one. but could hand deliver anywheree within 5 hours of NYC with minimal arrangements.

Wanted to sell this week but may hold out one more week now that I have found OFC.

mavuser
Posted 2018-02-25 6:07 PM (#541382 - in reply to #541316)

funny story about this guitar, for anyone that is following this saga.

i had de-tuned it 2 full steps and boxed it up to ship, then the buyer and I decided, after some nonsense at the post office, lets not bother, and try to sell it locally like I first wanted to, partially because this one is just really, really clean.

so, in my car it sat. for 5 days and 5 nights. double boxed and de-tuned 2 full steps.

it hasn't really been cold (40s), but very humid and rainy. well today I needed this thing out of my car and decided to bite the bullet and slice this tornado-proof box I constructed open, and put things back where they need to be for the time being. i open the case and take the guitar out- and the top has definitely flattened out more. it is not perfectly flat yet, but it definitely had a second wave of improvement after 5 days of de-tuned and in the humid environment. it has been raining all week, or at least humid enough to that extent.

i would say it is flat enough right now that it passes for standard slight belly behind the bridge and slight dip in front of the bridge/soundhole area, and that is it. somehting ive seen on many vintage guitars. in fact at this point, i have certainly seen worse than this.

Also the tone is right up there with Guilds, id call the tone "about $1,000" in the blindfold test (this is with strings from 25+ years ago), the neck is perfect for me, and unlike arch back Guilds, the full dome on the back of this Legend seems to somhow have a level area that sits in a perfect position and does not move on my stomach (it might also be that the resin/back has some friction to it, and is not slippery like nitro). The action is perfect and the saddle is as tall as a mountain. its in very excellent condition and now im considering keeping it.

if someone here wants it for $300 cash local I will still do that...hurry before I change the strings...and my mind...cheers
moody, p.i.
Posted 2018-02-25 6:46 PM (#541383 - in reply to #541316)

For $300, keep it....
mavuser
Posted 2018-02-25 7:27 PM (#541384 - in reply to #541316)

thanks moody, that is certainly the direction it is going in. If someone on the Ovation forum, or Guild forum, is serious enough to connect with me before this upcoming weekend, I will honor my offer of $300 cash local. If I still have it on Friday, it's off the market for a while.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2018-02-25 8:27 PM (#541385 - in reply to #541316)

I've got a 30th Anniversary Custom Legend. It's been up for sale several times and never sold. Now when I play it, I wonder why I was trying to sell it.
mavuser
Posted 2018-02-25 10:29 PM (#541387 - in reply to #541316)

those look real nice. I wonder why you would try to sell it as well? although it obviously a lot more of a payday than my 1117 Legend.

I also just traded a bunch of electric guitar pedals for a 1978 Ovation 1112 Balladeer. the back is a little different than the 1117. other than that they look very similar. it has a little more signs of life than my Legend- a couple scratches on the back and needs a top crack repaired. other than that she is all there though. i think. these are sleeper guitars if you ask me. Both of these fell into my lap and I would have zero interest in them if they did not feel and sound so good. I never knew anything about Ovation before. I went to buy a Guild in November and when I got there, there was 2 guitars instead of one.

then I was shopping the first one around to try and sell, and one guitar shop in particular did not want it for free. "look we already have an Ovation nobody wants." I said "well I have a bunch of pedals I want even less than the rest of your customers what that Ovation" and the next day I had 2 Ovations and the store had zero. the pedals i traded were all garbage!!

anyway yeah these are both sleepers for sure. the shop owner said "they are not nearly as popular as they were in the 80s." which i would agree with, but everything good comes back around at some point...and they will ride again!

one thing that has been interesting is everyone seems surprised that niether one or the other/both do not have factory electronics (no electronics at all). Apparently this the big thing Ovation is known for, and most of their instruments are electrified. But mine sound fantastic just the way they are, absolutley. They are gig worthy for sure. I would not hesitate to have a soundhole pickup wired in permanently to either one, or both, if that ever became necessary.
DanSavage
Posted 2018-02-26 12:38 PM (#541392 - in reply to #541387)

Ovation guitars of that era were available with and without electronics. The model numbers usually indicate whether it's electrified or not.

11xx = Acoustic only.
16xx = Acoustic/Electric
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-02-26 10:32 PM (#541411 - in reply to #541316)

My $.02 worth--- I have a '81 1112-1 Custom Balladeer that is definitely the prince of my fleet. Of course my fleet isn't exactly a trip through the Glen Campbell guitar vault.. but the 1112 has always been the most consistent of all in terms of pick-it-up-and-play-it projection and sound right off the stand. When I want to plug it in I have a Dean Markley slide-on pickup that easily mounts and un-mounts across the sound hole with a wonderful acoustic response that matches up perfectly with that particular guitar. I've also found that rotating the pickup at about a 30 degree angle to the strings (treble side toward the bridge) makes a big difference in quality of balanced response. After trial and error of many, many types and brands of strings, my personal preference finds the D'Addario EXP 16 to be the overall best for the 11xx steel Ovations.

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-02-26 10:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)