The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Whatever happened to Ovation?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Billy Boils
Posted 2018-02-16 5:14 AM (#541232)
Subject: Whatever happened to Ovation?

Hi everybody,

I only registered at this site just a few minutes ago and I have not searched or read any posts (so far). What I want to know is: What happened to Ovation's reputation? I have only recently decided to get an Ovation, and I have never had one before. I remember when gigging in the early 90s that Ovations were highly revered by most, but since I recently started looking for one to buy, I noticed their scarcity in the music stores that I expected would stock them.

So, I would like to hear from experienced users if entry level Ovations are reliable instruments. I am going to get one regardless, and I would like to know about my chances of successfully upgrading the nut and tuners/machine heads.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2018-02-16 11:49 AM (#541245 - in reply to #541232)
Subject: Re: Whatever happened to Ovation?

wow...that's a loaded question

in a nutshell Ovation now has limited production in the USA after they were sold to dw drums a couple of years ago.

yes the ovations you see are imports in the stores.

if you are looking for a USA model I still have some that are slightly used and even NEW on my website.

are they reliable ? most certainly the build quality of the latest overseas made stuff is very good
Billy Boils
Posted 2018-02-16 6:44 PM (#541251 - in reply to #541245)

Thanks for your reply Alpep. I had a look at your site, just out of curiosity, as I live 10,288.3 miles away from your store in a remote part of Australia. I will be buying an entry level Ovation (sight unseen), from some store over here. Great to hear you say that the build quality of non US Ovations is good.

The reason I became interested in Ovation guitars is because I bought a dirt cheap Ovation copy (Harley Benton HBO-850), a few years ago, and I only recently started playing it. I fell in love with the feel of the neck, and how effortless it is to play any style of music up and down the neck. I assumed that since it is a cheap copy of an Ovation, that a proper Ovation (albeit a Korean version), would be of a better quality.

I am looking for a reliable workhorse acoustic for live work only. Not concerned about the acoustic sound quality as it will be going through preamp to PA. Would an Ovation Celebrity be sufficient for my needs? Does the Celebrity have stable tuning? Does anybody have any Celebrity info to share with me?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-02-16 9:09 PM (#541254 - in reply to #541232)

I have not played the "new" Celebrity guitars.
I currently own a Korean-made CSE44 that I bought for nostalgic reasons, and it was cheap.
I have owned many different Celebrity guitars and I have generally been pleased.
If you compare a Celebrity to a USA Ovation you will notice the difference.
That does Not mean that Celebrity's are "bad" guitars.

If you are buying Used, there are different preamps.

If you are buying New, most Celebrity's have the OP4BT.
It has a 3-band EQ and a Tuna. It puts-out a strong signal.
If you are running thru a sound board, you can tailor the sound any way that you like.

Most of the Celebrity guitars that I have encountered were pretty nice.
If you are buying "sight unseen" be sure that you get a good Return Policy.

I hope that this helps.
Billy Boils
Posted 2018-02-16 10:13 PM (#541255 - in reply to #541254)

Thanks Arthur, I am not buying second hand. I have to buy sight unseen because I live hundreds of miles from retailers. I just have to trust that my choice is the right one before I order. That is why I am here to get info about Ovation guitars.

I am aware that the US models will be of a better quality. I recently watched some videos about the history of the Ovation factory and the workers there. I currently use a Lag Tramontane T100ACE as my live acoustic, but if Ovation necks are as smooth as the el cheapo Ovation copy that I have, then I must get one.

I am not too worried about the preamp system in the guitar because I do as you said, I use my own external preamps to create the sound I desire. I am looking at the Ovation Celebrity CC29S and the Ovation Celebrity Standard CS24. I just want to know a} that the necks are smooth to play on b} the tuners are stable and true, and c} I could replace the nut with a roller nut without too much difficulty.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-02-17 12:14 AM (#541256 - in reply to #541232)

I used to own a CC29S. I believe that it has a Cedar Top.
It has a Contour bowl which is deeper than the Mid Depth on the CS24.
The Contour bowl is designed not to "roll-up" when you are standing.
And not to slide off of you leg when sitting.
Both have the OP4BT preamp.
Both necks will feel quite similar.

I have no idea why you would need a roller nut...
Both of these Celebrity's have 42.8625mm nut (call it 43mm).
And the nut can be removed like most other guitars.
Billy Boils
Posted 2018-02-17 2:19 AM (#541257 - in reply to #541256)

OMA: Why do I want a roller nut? Firstly, I am almost OCD when it comes to guitars being in tune. My biggest fear is to play a song in front of a large audience, only to find out after I finished that I was playing horribly out of tune. I want to get some locking tuners or roller nuts on all of my guitars, well not all, that would send me broke (a subtle reference to your tagline). Plus, since I started playing on my Ovation copy I have started playing a different style, including a lot of bending.

The CC29S that I have been looking at has a traditional soundhole and a cedar top. I know that it is a deep bodied guitar and that concerns me a bit, considering I am not totally comfortable playing my Epiphone Jumbo E200SCE, mostly because my main acoustics are slimlines. Do you remember if your CC29S was as big as an Epi Jumbo? I have had no luck finding any info online in regard to the CC29S.

You say that both necks will feel similar, can you please tell me a bit more about the feel of Ovation necks? When I just recently started playing around with my Ovation copy I was playing things that I never even knew I could play. The distinctively different neck style offers so much more liberty to my fingers. Is that what an Ovation neck feels like?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-02-17 4:58 AM (#541258 - in reply to #541232)

Contour bowls are pretty big, wide, across the top.
This is to keep the front of the guitar, the top, perpendicular with the ground.

On this video at around 0:17 he will show you the contour back, if you go to about 2:02 on to about 2:08 he will show you have Wide (deep) the bowl is on the top where the preamp is located. It is slimmer on the bottom side (treble side) of the bowl, with a flat area where is sits on your leg. 

The Contour bowl has a pretty large body, but the whole design is the allow for the fullest bowl volume that is easier to hold while standing or sitting.  But if you like "Thinline" bodies, you could also look for "Super Shallow Bowl" Celebrities.  With a Center-hole that would be a CC28 nowadays.  HERE is one.

To put it simply.  Contour bowls are good for Sitting.  Super Shallow Bowls were designed for standing.

As to the Neck, I have no idea what your "Ovation-copy" neck feels like.  Ovation necks mostly just feel like Ovation necks.  Many people like them.  I cannot really describe it.  I have literally dozens of guitars by 5 or 7 different manufacturers.  Some are wide some are slim like electric guitars.  Ovations were described as "acoustic guitars for electric guitar players".  That is why they have the 1-11/16 in (43mm) nut widths. 

I don't know if any of this is helpful.    I cannot really describe a Contour bowl if you have never even played a Deep Bowl. The Contour Bowl was supposed to be an improvement over the Deep Bowl.  Go to the "Forum Search" at the top of the page.  Search for "Contour".  You will find that some folks like them, some do not.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2018-02-17 5:13 AM
alpep
Posted 2018-02-17 6:52 PM (#541267 - in reply to #541232)

What is your budget?
alpep
Posted 2018-02-17 6:52 PM (#541268 - in reply to #541232)

What is your budget?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)