The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
An Introduction

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

DennisMiller
Posted 2018-01-11 6:17 PM (#540756)
Subject: An Introduction

Hi Gang,

Just as my screen name suggests, my name really is Dennis Miller. For your information, I had the name first and that guy who used to be on Monday Night Football stole my identity.

I'm originally from Louisville, Kentucky and grew up with a lot of country music influences based on the radio stations my parents listened to. My father advertised his car lots on those stations, so he always listened for his ads. I went to college at U of Louisville and like my generation, was then heavily influenced by the British invasion and subsequent artists of that time.

I'm 68, a retired religious institution executive director and a guitar player since my freshman year of college when I discovered it was too hard to take a Hammond B3 organ to a hootenanny. Actually, the way I got started playing guitar was because a garage band I was in wanted to do a Beatles medley where we switched instruments around. The guitar player taught me C and Em, all I needed for most of Eleanor Rigby, but I got hooked.

I have an embarrassing number of guitars, but I'm 99% into acoustics. I have Martins, Taylors, A Guild 12 string, a Cordoba Flamenco and my little Ovation CP2003. As great as some of those expensive guitars are, I've played and recorded most with my Ovation. I recently had carpel tunnel surgery on my left hand and as I've only been able to play again in the last week, the Ovation neck feels better to me than some of the chunkier necks.

I guess I've always been sort of an Ovation fan ever since I saw Glen Campbell play one years ago. He was one of my first guitar heroes. I like a lot of styles and players, but in recent times, I'd be happy to listen to Vince Gill all day.

My biggest musical thrill of late was over Thanksgiving when my 12 year old grandson came to me to ask if I could teach him to play guitar. Since he lives in North Carolina and I live in Miami, Florida, the best I could do was give him one of my guitars, an Ovation Celebrity CC model, and arrange a year of lessons for him with a local teacher who came recommended. He gets me on Skype every few days to show me what he's learned. Unfortunately, some of what he's learning are guitarist jokes. How many to screw in a lightbulb and all that.

Other than that, I'm married to my college sweetheart for 45 years now, a beautiful girl from Jamaica, where I lived for 6 years in the 70s. I still occasionally play some reggae, mostly novelty songs by a friend, Pluto Shervington. Check him out of YouTube...

One of the other big loves of my life is a little fuzzy white dog who absolutely has me wrapped around his paw. Hogan, (named after the golfer), is a rescue who turned out to be a pure bred Bichon Frise. Since getting him and learning about Bichons, we've become totally infatuated with the breed. He's my constant companion and guitar playing audience. He never even says a word when I play badly. THAT'S a true friend.

I'm also an avid golfer for over 60 years and still love to play as much as possible.

Anyway, enough... If you are ever around the Miami area, let me know. We have a pretty good acoustic guitar bunch here from the Acoustic Guitar Forum. i could arrange a get together if you give me enough time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2018-01-12 5:06 AM (#540759 - in reply to #540756)
Subject: Re: An Introduction

Welcome Dennis. I upgraded you to full member so you can post in the General and other sections.
alpep
Posted 2018-01-12 9:55 AM (#540763 - in reply to #540756)

stick around
sounds like you have a ton in common with many folks on this forum!!!
DennisMiller
Posted 2018-01-14 7:39 PM (#540829 - in reply to #540756)

Hey Alpep - Why does your screen name ring a bell to me. Do you participate in other forums I might be familiar with? Fender, AGF, golf forums? What?
alpep
Posted 2018-01-15 9:43 AM (#540831 - in reply to #540756)

yup I'm like sh*t I'm all around
not golf though......
DennisMiller
Posted 2018-01-15 1:31 PM (#540833 - in reply to #540756)

I'm Stratokatsu in the AGF and the Fender Forum... Does that ring a bell?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)