The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
"Why do you need so many guitars?"

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-01-05 6:10 AM (#539678 - in reply to #538622)
Subject: Re: "Why do you need so many guitars?"

What you NEED is
a Nylonstring
a Steelstring
a 12string
what you need sometimes
an archtop
a Steelstring cutaway
a parlor
what you may need
a 12string 12 fret
a Steelstring shortscale
a Nylonstring w arched fretboard
a 7 string
a Bariton
what is sometimes good to have
a viola da terra (portuguese guitar)
a "Terz" guitar
an antique guitar
a lute
a Renaissance lute
a "Schrammel" guitar (guitar with additionel bass strings)
a Harp guitar
what is nice to have
any collector guitar
any handmade guitar
any very good guitar
any wonderful guitar
any very rare guitar
what MAY BE a little crazy
a second reserve for the Martin D 45
a complete collection of all Adamas slothead guitars ever made
a complete collection of all Custom Legend to compare the different sounds of the different years of production
what IS crazy
no idea

..and these are only acoustics.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nancy
Posted 2018-01-05 8:48 AM (#539680 - in reply to #538648)

elginacres - 2018-01-03 2:48 PM

Touche Mark. My daughter added to the analogy....her vice is shoes. We looked in my closet - there are 4 pair - dress, casual, athletic, and snow boots, okay - I do have a pair of Tevas and a pair of crocs too, but they are not shoes....most of the book points are valid with shoes. Nancy - not making this a male v. female thing....from the photos of the Nan-Cave - I would say there are gender trends - but not gender absolutes. I am wondering when someone will bring up motorcycles or cars....

I would not be a good person to use in an example of Gender Trends. I am like you Elginacres. I only own about 4 pair of shoes, I have ONE purse ($400 for a purse is ludicrous when you have pockets!) that I use when my Sisters and I go out to lunch, because it bugs the daylights out of them when I pull my money out of my pocket. And get this, I bought it used on ebay, (It's a VERY NICE name brand one, but I paid $25 for it).

I use my money for things that matter to me, and I am fortunate (or not) in that I don't have to answer to anyone for my bad habits ever again!

Standingovation
Posted 2018-01-05 10:31 AM (#539682 - in reply to #538622)

You, see ... THIS is why I play the ukulele. Over 30 of them in the house right now and you'd never know they existed other than a couple in the humidor. You can easily fit 12 under a double bed and 2 in every empty guitar case. I've even got a couple stashed inside my bass drum and one tucked inside the back of a Fender Twin.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2018-01-05 12:21 PM (#539684 - in reply to #538622)

I "compromised" with SWMBO by buying a smaller house and giving up my man cave in exchange for a remodeled bonus room above the garage. She didn't like me filling "her" store room in the other house with guitar cases, so I built a room in the attic above the garage for those. I don't think she's ever been up there, which is probably a good thing. All the guitars are out on the wall in the bonus room and only 3 are on stands. She always tells people I have 16 or 17 guitars, but she must not have counted recently. I usually keep a couple up at the cabin, but bring them down in the winter, and kept one at the office for years, but took that home when I moved my office and stopped taking lessons downtown. She vacuumed yesterday and didn't complain, so things are good.

Edited by Mark in Boise 2018-01-05 12:23 PM
Standingovation
Posted 2018-01-05 2:20 PM (#539685 - in reply to #538622)

Wow, 20+ guitars and a wife who vacuums. Life sounds good.
elginacres
Posted 2018-01-05 3:46 PM (#539687 - in reply to #538622)

StandingO, +1, I have seen Mark's Bonus room - a great guitar hangout. Someone needs to figure out how to get Professor's Basement and Mark's Bonus room (in the south we used to call it a FROG) under one roof.
elginacres
Posted 2018-01-05 3:49 PM (#539688 - in reply to #538622)

Detlefmichel - great list - but what about 2 inch necks, 1 7/8 necks, 1 3/4 necks, 1 11/16 necks?
nerdydave
Posted 2018-01-05 10:03 PM (#539692 - in reply to #538622)

I got very few guitars and I vacuum the house too. A life of quiet desperation??
nerdydave
Posted 2018-01-05 10:04 PM (#539693 - in reply to #538622)

But I luvs my vacuum with a passion!!!! But not as much as my Ovations!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2018-01-05 11:53 PM (#539695 - in reply to #539685)

Standingovation - 2018-01-05 1:20 PM

Wow, 20+ guitars and a wife who vacuums. Life sounds good.

Only 19 actually. 20 sounds like a better number.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2018-01-06 7:59 AM (#539696 - in reply to #538622)

One challenge of keeping 50+ guitars on the walls is what to do with the cases. And since I’m not a fan of hard cases for hauling guitars to gigs, I have a dozen soft cases to fit everything for transport. I tried Miles’ solution with guitar boxes, but that took up more room than I had. I built special rolling racks but found it frustrating when I did need to find an OHC for a specific guitar. I finally figured it out. I bought a large shop south of town and am now storing them on a covered rack up and out of the way. And speaking of off site storage space, it has become a sensational investment so I’m buying a second unit. With grow houses taking over all available warehouse space here in Denver, there is very little left for hobbiests, car collectors and those who need more garage. As a result, warehouse prices have skyrocketed and getting into new construction at preconstruction prices has become a very sound investment. Plus, SWMBO has little interest in it, so what goes on at the shop stays at the shop. Sorry, Mark, back to the subject of many guitars.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2018-01-06 2:30 PM (#539702 - in reply to #538622)

A friend who also is into guitars and cars bought several "garage condos" years ago before the real estate market picked up. He uses one and rents the others. In addition to a large garage with a lift, he has a loft with a kitchenette, couch, big screen and basically all the necessities except a bathroom. One is available in a nearby building. I don't think he keeps guitars there year round because of temperature issues, but he could easily store cases and his amps. We've had parties there with live music and it is big enough to have a good sized group inside.
I preferred to have everything on site and thought about hiring a cleaning lady to eliminate one of SWMBO's complaints about having too much house, but I knew I would never win that battle.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2018-01-07 3:13 PM (#539714 - in reply to #538622)

Yep, Mark, the units are called Garage Condos. Essentially, a condominium complex of large custom garages.
elginacres
Posted 2018-01-09 5:16 PM (#539734 - in reply to #538622)

The concept of off-site storage is not new to me - however, beyond less axes in the home (especially cases) - it does not help my friendly argument with the Mrs.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)