The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Laquer cracking

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format
Posted 2017-12-28 5:48 PM (#538545)
Subject: Laquer cracking
December 2017

Picked up a 1980's(?) model CC67 Celebrity a couple years ago. Got it for about $50 because the owner was very concerned about the cosmetics and was sure the wood was cracked even though I pointed out it was only finish deep from what I could see (I knew the guy after all). It's been a nice guitar for me and still sounds pretty good so I should probably leave well enough alone.

Been reading up on all the problems folks run into replacing a top on Ovations, but I haven't found anyone talking about simply sanding the surface down to the wood (leaving the bridge in place) and painting or otherwise resurfacing. I would think making the top thinner this way might even improve the sound quality (saw a stunning white acoustic on the Sweetwater web sight and was thinking that would be nice...)

Anyone ever hear anything like this?

Cheers all.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)