The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
FD14 on Reveb **beware**

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

danomyte
Posted 2017-12-22 6:29 AM (#538480)
Subject: FD14 on Reveb **beware**

Heads up to anyone drooling over that FD14 for sale on reverb. Since I’m so close I drove up to the music store where it is for sale. Guitar sounded great, however not as “mint” as the seller is claiming. The gold tuners are pitted badly and there are white stains on the bowl, the nail in the coffin for me was being able to visually see the bridge separating from the soundboard. I could see small cracks in the clear coat and separation from the top. The small hairline crack was across the entire rear of the bridge. Just a matter of time before it eventually lets go. I pointed this out to the shop owner and he brushed it off telling me it’s fine, the bridge is still tight. Then he said yeah well you know how ovations are. Risky $1000 purchase. I said none of the bridges on my Ovations don’t look like this. I walked out he door, I won’t visit that shop ever again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-12-22 6:52 AM (#538481 - in reply to #538480)
Subject: Re: FD14 on Reveb **beware**

FD14?
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-12-22 10:13 AM (#538482 - in reply to #538480)

Most of the time when I have gone to someone's house to look at something "mint", and it ends up being pure junk, the inside of the house is one of those places where you don't even want to set your sunglasses down on anything for fear of catching an eye infection when you put them back on... and you come away wondering what their version of "fair" must look like.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-12-22 4:26 PM (#538484 - in reply to #538480)

That is sad to know.
Thanks for the warning.

For anyone wondering... It is HERE
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-12-23 5:38 PM (#538491 - in reply to #538480)

I don't usually comment on this stuff, but to be fair, unless the ad was updated, it is not presented as mint. He refers to the lifting bridge as a finish issue, and to the non-Ovation person... that's what it looks like. We know better. He mentions that it barely looks played and that seems accurate. Just because a guitar doesn't meet OUR expectations, doesn't mean someone is trying to pull a scam. Even the OP said it sounded great.

So bottom line... maybe offer $900, but even at just shy of $1000, spend another $100 or less on a competent bridge repair, and you have heck-of-a nice guitar for a reasonable price.
alpep
Posted 2017-12-24 4:57 PM (#538494 - in reply to #538480)

agreed not a terrible deal for a really nice guitar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)