The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Breadwinner GAS coming on.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

FlySig
Posted 2007-10-25 6:26 PM (#77215)
Subject: Breadwinner GAS coming on.

Lately I've been in an electric kind of mood, and of course the Breadwinner/Deacon GAS has started.

What should I know about these things? The idea of having a nice condition all-original tugs at me, but how do the active pickups sound? I could be happy with a reworked guitar with new humbuckers, unless that would be a stain on my reputation. That is, more of a stain than my playing abilities.

Can a decent guitar be built from parts off of eBay, or are the manufacturing tolerances too loose to just bolt any old neck onto any old body? Would I just be better off to buy a complete guitar?

In a recent thread, someone mentioned that parting out guitars is more lucrative than selling whole guitars. My limited life experience with older things, like old airplanes and old guns, is that once this starts happening it is a signpost of the impending end of availability of good complete examples. It also becomes difficult to identify real originals from recent reconstructions and outright fakery.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2007-10-25 6:52 PM (#77216 - in reply to #77215)
Subject: Re: Breadwinner GAS coming on.

If it hasn't got the original pre-amp, it's not a Breadwinner.
If you can get hold of the '06 tour DVD you'll see Master Templeman put one though it's paces and demo the functions of the pre-amp.

Not to say that folks like Woody don't do great things with em. They do. It's just not the same animal.
dvd
Posted 2007-10-25 6:53 PM (#77217 - in reply to #77215)

Check out my and MWoody's galleries for some ideas on how some build-your-own models can come out. I went that route for two reasons: 1) to end up with a truly unique instrument, and 2) to spread out the cost a bit. Hardest parts to come up with if doing it piecemeal are the electronics and the cover plates on back. Mine has viper pups (no active electronics) and it sounds great! I think Miles has most of the necessary parts in his eBay store. There are still plenty of complete guitars being sold, too, so keep your eye out.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-10-25 10:12 PM (#77218 - in reply to #77215)

When I was shopping for a Viper, Stephen steered me away from one with replaced pickups. He said to get one with original pickups, so you know how it's supposed to sound. Then change them out if you want to.

I thought that was sound advice. If you're getting a Breadwinner, don't you want active electronics? I think Brad's right. Without active, it's not really a Breadwinner. It's a project guitar.

That said, even with a different sound, the body style gives it most of its WOW factor. Do whatever you want, and we'll back you up. But you should be able to find a good one affordably in white or black.

I can't argue with anyone wanting a Breadwinner. I just love the looks.
MWoody
Posted 2007-10-26 2:31 AM (#77219 - in reply to #77215)

"I could be happy with a reworked guitar with new humbuckers, unless that would be a stain on my reputation"

Some days it just sucks being me, what can I say!

I enjoy putting things back together and I don't take the good ones apart. I chose this over other things for my mid-life crisis (MLC) and I have had a shot at playng some nice parts and pieces.

"Can a decent guitar be built from parts off of eBay, or are the manufacturing tolerances too loose to just bolt any old neck onto any old body? Would I just be better off to buy a complete guitar?"

You have to figure out what is the important part! The "Parts" fit together just fine in most cases and since they are 30 years old some are made from woods with qualities you either can't get or don't want to pay for today. If you want a collectable - pay the price and take good care of it.

If you like the esthetics and need a tool then step this way...

Tonight at practice I was playing a Viper with a one piece Mahogany body and a set of Artec mini's that take up the space of a Viper pickup (can be changed out). The sound was very viperish since these pups have 10,000 wraps on Alnico 5 magnets and read 11.5 bridge and 8.5 neck.

Wood ages and electronics deteriorate - fact!

I personnaly prefer the Viper pups over the Breadwinner active with HBs. The original Toroidals (sp) may be something different.

There are several brands of Offshore pre-amps and active sets that are very stable. I think with so many options in pedals and processers that the Deacon active sets are an uneeded luxury.

I will soon be offering something Viper/Limited/Who-knows for sale soon. :rolleyes:

You need to play a few and figure out what will work for you.

As for me, all I want is... one more.

I would like to thank the small but loyal cadre of Bottom-feed'in-mutt-lovers that support me! Without your support I might be... normal.

And one of my favorite shots...
LBJ
Posted 2007-10-26 7:46 AM (#77220 - in reply to #77215)

that 2 bears in Santa's hats look nice indeed.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-10-26 7:52 AM (#77221 - in reply to #77215)

I've got no problem wit dat! My son and I also prefer playing the Viper to the Deke. He's pretty much stolen it from me. If I want to play it, I take it from his room and put it back on the stand next to my bed. A day later, it's gone again.

Remember the pic Sam has of all his (used to have) Deacons and Breadwinners? There was one with a maple fretboard. I've always thought that when I get time/cash to get a project going, I'd like one too, since I'm partial to the looks of a maple board. If I went that route, I'd probably want single coils in it.

Heck, my Deacon is a project guitar itself. It's all original parts, but put together in a unique configuration. It's NOS, and probably has a Preacher deluxe neck. But down to the screws for the pickguard it's original vintage Ovation parts. I'm not so concerned that it be a true vintage guitar.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)