The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Stolen Ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

beatlejuice53
Posted 2017-10-06 1:31 AM (#537630)
Subject: Stolen Ovations

Be aware that 2 stolen ovations were sold by Music go Round (Indianapolis) around the the first part of August . One is an Anniversary (1982, I believe), the other is a "Book Elite". These were stolen from me in July. They were then sold to Music go Round. The "Book" was sold around Aug. 9. Not sure of the Anniversary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
standing
Posted 2017-10-06 10:17 AM (#537632 - in reply to #537630)
Subject: Re: Stolen Ovations

Sorry to hear that. We'll keep an eye out for them, but there must be more to this story? Doesn't Music-go-round keep records of who they buy guitars from and who they sell them to? Does Indiana have any kind of "police hold" or serial number registery requirements for shops buying/selling used instruments? Did you do the detective work yourself or did you contact the police? (How do you know they were bought/sold by MGR?) Do you have the serial numbers to identify them if they are found?

If you search the archives here, you'll find at least a couple of stolen guitar stories where the victim got their guitars back (eventually.) In your case, it maybe tough if there's no record of who bought them. The buyer(s) probably have no idea they bought hot guitars. If you reported the stolen guitars to the police when they were stolen, I would think you would have some leverage to try to get MGR, at minimum, to reimburse you?

Sorry you have to deal with this. You never know, someone here might run across one of them (it wouldn't be the first time.) Goid luck.
jay
Posted 2017-10-06 4:29 PM (#537633 - in reply to #537630)

Didnt someone just score a book recently...and there was one on ebay with a crack...I think...
Seems odd that 2 books would hit the secondary market so close.

beatlejuice53
Posted 2017-10-06 5:47 PM (#537635 - in reply to #537630)
Subject: RE: Stolen Ovations

I reported the theft to police. They did next to nothing. Did a simple search, myself. Took all of 5 minutes. There was a 1768-7ltd that showed up on Reverb. Went to Indy. Found out that MgR had bought 5 guitars from same person. All 5 were mine. 3 had already been sold. I recovered 2 (an Adamas and a 1985 Collectors Series. The 2 thieves have since been arrested. 5 more guitars have not been recovered. Yes, I did all of the police work. The serial numbers are listed in the registry. I remember seeing the one with the crack. Mine was in perfect shape.
alpep
Posted 2017-10-06 8:30 PM (#537637 - in reply to #537630)

ouch

that is a screwed up situation

I feel for you
kentrookie
Posted 2017-10-08 10:54 PM (#537652 - in reply to #537630)

follow up question.

What registry is being referred to?
beatlejuice53
Posted 2017-10-08 11:26 PM (#537653 - in reply to #537630)
Subject: RE: Stolen Ovations

The serial number registry
beatlejuice53
Posted 2017-10-08 11:32 PM (#537654 - in reply to #537637)

It's real screwed up. Of the 10 guitars that were stolen 6 were American Ovations. I have only recovered 2
sligoman
Posted 2017-10-16 5:31 PM (#537779 - in reply to #537630)

My story is not too far back, December 9, 2016. Buttheads stole 3 of mine. They were not caught but I did get one back, the least valuable, '01 redwood. Lost an N769 and an '87C. There was (is?) a detective working the case. Traced the black Nakao to an ebay buyer in China. That was after pulling teeth with ebay for 5 months. The '87C has gone to ground. I'm the one who found the '01 on Craigslist. Dummy took a pic of the serial number for the ad. Eventually gave up on those others and made an insurance claim. That was a whole other maze of doodoo. Not a pleasant memory but at least I have the redwood to dink around with.

Good luck with your search.
BCam
Posted 2017-10-17 7:04 PM (#537793 - in reply to #537630)

Can you elaborate on your "maze of doodoo" with the insurance company? Was the payment reasonable? Is there anything we guitar owners can do to make the claim process less daunting before they are stolen or otherwise lost or damaged (fire/flood/etc.)?

Edited by BCam 2017-10-17 7:05 PM
sligoman
Posted 2017-10-17 7:27 PM (#537795 - in reply to #537630)

The insurance industry likes to apply what they call depreciation to everything they compensate under property damage. In the real world things don't always depreciate, though they often do. I deal with insurance adjusters all the time in injury cases, sometimes they have a sense of humor. I asked her if she thought Stradivarius got more than the $3 million Joshua Bell paid and if not, why? She wrote me a check for fair value less deductible. I'd recommend that you get an appraisal by someone like Al, who is an expert on Ovations. The average insurance adjuster has no clue. Ask your agent if you have to list the guitars in the policy as a scheduled piece. I did not. So, I was probably lucky. She was sick of dealing with me.
FlySig
Posted 2017-10-17 10:32 PM (#537796 - in reply to #537630)

I recommend getting a specific rider or 3rd party instrument policy for musical instruments. If you only own 1 or 2 instruments it may not be worth it for the minimum premium.

I have about a dozen guitars, a couple of amps, and various accessories like original factory cases and some pedals. Most of my guitars are typical USA Ovations, nothing like an original slothead or other extraordinary piece. The 40th Anniversary Adamas is the one really expensive guitar. You don't need to have a huge collection to make a separate rider or policy reasonable. Most homeowner's policies have a fairly low limit on losses to instruments if, for example, your house burns down or your guitars get stolen. The separate instrument policy covers all losses including theft from outside the home or damage which reduces the instrument's value.

I think I pay about $150 per year to cover all my musical instruments and accessories. This is at full appraised value, not a depreciated value. A local music store appraised all my guitars using various online merchants (eBay, Reverb, etc) to establish a full value to replace each item with one of similar excellent condition, not some minimal value taking the cheapest price a beat up guitar sold for online somewhere.
BCam
Posted 2017-10-18 10:31 AM (#537799 - in reply to #537630)

I would add: Good, detailed photos showing condition, label, model and serial number. These should be backed up or stored somewhere they won't get lost along with the guitars in case of fire, flood, etc.

While I'm at it (I hope this isn't a no-no), I'd like to put in a plug for USAA insurance. You have to be current or former military (or, in some cases a former military dependent) to qualify. At one time you had to be, or have been, an officer but they've long since lifted that restriction. I've been insured by them forever (homeowners & auto). They're fantastic to work with and, every time I've shopped around, they're rates were the best.
Geostorm98
Posted 2017-10-18 4:22 PM (#537802 - in reply to #537630)

beatlejuice53 there is no better place to help in recovering a stolen O than the OFC. In 2011 I had 2 stolen and an alert OFC'er noticed that pics that were posted...were actually one of my stolen guitars! Ultimately got both back, long story. Good luck with getting yours back.
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-10-18 10:05 PM (#537806 - in reply to #537630)

I once bought a "full replacement value" policy on my home contents. After a few years we got broken into and ripped of pretty bad. When I went to file a claim, they only wanted to pay "current fair market". When I questioned it, they said that I had only been paying the premium for that, and not the full replacement coverage. I dug through my papers and found that the initial payment at the time of policy initiation had been for the full coverage. Turns out, they had reduced my coverage and billing amount at renewal without saying a word to me and no authorization to do so. When I showed them the original, hand written quote, and initial payment receipt for full replacement coverage, I will never forget the clerk at the agent's office saying, "Who keeps this stuff?" My reply was, "I do." All I had to do was pay the difference in the premiums (it was only about $100) and they were forced to honor it. In that claim was a $3,500 Les Paul that they were only going to pay $775 for otherwise. Even if it's just a file box with a bunch of random papers tossed into it.. KEEP THEM! This was with Farmer's Insurance. Years later, after switching to Allstate, they pulled the same crap.. but I caught it at renewal time. It must be an industry standard trick to pull. Always remember to check your new declaration every year at renewal to make sure they haven't done this to you!

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-10-18 10:26 PM
beatlejuice53
Posted 2018-06-08 8:26 PM (#544026 - in reply to #537630)

Update: the 2 thieves will be spending time in prison. Unfortunately, I only recovered 2 guitars. Lost are the Book Elite, an 82 Anniversary, 85 Collectors Series 12 string and an Elite Special(signed by Ann and Nancy Wilson) plus 4 non Ovations and 1 amp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)