The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
How To: Replace OCP-1K Bridge Saddle...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

DanSavage
Posted 2017-08-11 8:10 PM (#537044)
Subject: How To: Replace OCP-1K Bridge Saddle...

Here's a common problem we all have with the Ovation A/E pick-ups: String dents.

I've found that this is really easy to fix so the saddle portion of the pick-up is like brand-new again.

First, you'll need to contact John Budny at the MS to ask him to send you some of these. This is the plastic saddle portion of the saddle/pick-up.

In this thread I'll show how I replace the old saddle with these new ones. It's really easy.

Step 1: Use an Xacto blade to gently pry the old saddle out of the pick-up.

You want to start at one end and insert the edge of the blade into the space between the end of the saddle and the black plastic filler piece, then pry it out peeling the saddle away from the inside of the pick-up.

The saddle is glued to the pick-up with what looks like white silicone caulking which has just enough grip on the plastic saddle to keep it in place, but not so much that it takes a Herculean effort to separate the two.

In fact, the fit is so good that you could pry the old one out, pop a new one into place, then string it up and play it.

Once the saddle is out of the pick-up, this is what you'll see. The gold-ish pieces are the actual piezo crystals.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE ANY OF THE WHITE SILICONE.

The wires connecting the crystals are very delicate and you are almost guaranteed to pop a crystal off its mount as you peel the silicone off it. It's not necessary to remove any silicone as you'll soon see.

Spread some white silicone across the top of the old silicone. Make sure to get an even layer across the whole pick-up.

Push the new saddle down into the pick-up. Wipe up any excess that squeezes out, then lightly clamp the pick-up at both ends. All you're doing with the clamps is to keep the saddle firmly squeezed against the tops of the crystals, so you don't want to apply too much pressure. Now just leave it to sit overnight.

In order to make sure the bottom of the pick-up makes even contact with the floor of the slot in the bridge, I use some naptha to remove the mfr label.

The pick-up is ready to be put back into service. I put rebuilt pick-ups on Daren's 1528 and Ken's 1612. By all accounts they're working just dandy.

Did I mention that the saddles come in white, and black?

Edited by DanSavage 2017-08-11 8:30 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-08-11 8:29 PM (#537045 - in reply to #537044)
Subject: Re: How To: Rebuild OCP-1K Bridge Saddle...

Kewel
arumako
Posted 2017-08-11 8:42 PM (#537046 - in reply to #537045)

Old Man Arthur - 2017-08-11 10:29 AM

Kewel

+1! You did that for my 1612 too, didn't you? I must say, it is very effective indeed, and an excellent way to salvage a perfectly good OCP-1K! These little tidbits are just so helpful! Thanks Dan!
DanSavage
Posted 2017-08-11 8:44 PM (#537047 - in reply to #537046)

arumako - 2017-08-11 6:42 PM

Old Man Arthur - 2017-08-11 10:29 AM

Kewel

+1! You did that for my 1612 too, didn't you? I must say, it is very effective indeed, and an excellent way to salvage a perfectly good OCP-1K! These little tidbits are just so helpful! Thanks Dan!

Yes. In fact, that's your pick-up in the photos.

Well, except for the one with the broken piezo. I'm going to fix that and get it back into service. Someday.

You're welcome!

Edited by DanSavage 2017-08-11 8:47 PM
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-08-12 12:59 PM (#537049 - in reply to #537044)
Subject: Re: How To: Replace OCP-1K Bridge Saddle...

I find the silicon step to be unnecessary. My preowned Ovation Legend came with a rather loose saddle anyway which I could slide off to either side of the pickup unit. I'm not sure that's the way the come these days. The black pins on either side I could also easily lift up. The saddle will be firmly in place whether or not you use silicon as in-between sandwich filler.
DanSavage
Posted 2017-08-13 7:41 PM (#537060 - in reply to #537049)
Subject: Re: How To: Replace OCP-1K Bridge Saddle...

The saddles are usually glued into place, not loose like yours. In addition to attaching the saddle to the pick-up, I think the silicone also protects the wires connecting the crystals.

Yep, you could omit the silicone when replacing the saddle. Once the strings are brought up to tension, the saddle isn't going anywhere. I'll probably keep using it, just because that's how the MS does it.

Edited by DanSavage 2017-08-13 7:42 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)