The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Applause AA-31 Top Crack

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

BluesMetal
Posted 2017-08-11 11:20 AM (#537042)
Subject: Applause AA-31 Top Crack

Hello,

I have what I believe to be a mid 80s Applause AA-31. This particular model is non-electric and has a panted black soundboard with a black pick guard.

The issue with it is that it has a long crack on the soundboard which appears to have been caused by someone dropping the guitar. I do not have a picture of it at the moment but the best way to describe it is imagine the guitar is in a stand. The crack starts on the face of the guitar where the binding meets the soundboard on the bottom left and then makes its way up at a bit of a 90 degree angle, almost perpendicular to the wood grain. After about 5 inches it straightens out to run with the wood grain and ends next to the sound hole.

The way the crack is positioned leads me to believe it is just in the clear coat and paint as I inspected the underside of the board through the sound hole and do not see any evidence of a crack in there. The guitar plays fine and I don't feel as though it is affecting the integrity of it but the OCD in me is driven crazy by the sight of it.

My question is, what are my options for repair? If it is just the clear and paint, is removing both of those and re-finishing or re-painting a reasonable option?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)