The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
RIP Bill Collings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Artist
Posted 2017-07-15 5:50 PM (#536779)
Subject: RIP Bill Collings

very sad...

http://www.collingsguitars.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page
DaveKell
Posted 2017-07-16 8:42 AM (#536780 - in reply to #536779)
Subject: Re: RIP Bill Collings

I'll never forget a road trip through the Texas hill country awhile back. While driving around the small town of Wimberley, TX I passed a small old looking house with a do it yourself hand scrawled sign out front that said Guitar Store. I notice things like that after a more than 40 year career owning a sign company and being a master sign painter most of my life. I also tend to notice guitar shops. I had to turn around and go back. I wasn't prepared for what I entered however. A three room house with guitars in two rows around every wall. I thought I was in my own personal Twilight Zone episode. This can't be. EVERY top name acoustic I ever knew about was filling this house. From $50,000 new Martins to a $1,400 used Guild dred. I got to experience Froggys for the first time as well as a number of prominent Austin luthier built guitars. Then I got to the Collings rows. I thought the Santa Cruzs were fabulous but the Collings were downright phenomenal. I spent two hours playing a plethora of guitars as the only customer in the store. The lone attendant sat in another room reading something, oblivious to my presence. The perfect guitar store experience. I walked up to him and asked him why no Ovations. His reply was "they don't make them anymore". I guess at that time it was true about US production anyway. There are still a few more O's on my bucket list to own but a Collings is right there with them. Anyway, I've since heard the little Wimberley shop has closed and moved to Austin as Hill Country Guitars. Now if I could just stumble onto a little house full of O's my Twilight Zone career would be complete.
Beal
Posted 2017-07-16 9:11 AM (#536781 - in reply to #536779)
Subject: Re: RIP Bill Collings

They left Austin over a year ago and are out in Dripping Springs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)