The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
String deterioration

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

nerdydave
Posted 2017-07-05 10:44 PM (#535701)
Subject: String deterioration

A question for those who know more than I and there are many such folks on here. We all know that new strings have better resonance, tone, etc. than old strings. But what causes this loss of quality? Is it the playing time the strings accumulate? Or is it simply being stretched and on the guitar for a certain period of time? If I put new strings on a guitar and don't play it for a year will they still sound like new strings after that time?? Or will they have deteriorated? Hoping for some expert opinions!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-07-06 12:48 AM (#535703 - in reply to #535701)
Subject: Re: String deterioration

No idea what happens if you leave new (uncoated) strings on your guitar for a year... The main culprit wearing down uncoated strings is in my view simply human DNA (sweat, dirt, etc). Especially the wound bass strings seem to be affected and corrode relatively quickly; the treble strings have a longer life time but can become noticably dull sounding over time.
DaveKell
Posted 2017-07-06 8:11 AM (#535704 - in reply to #535701)

Try some John Pearse nickel acoustic strings. I finally took a set off after 6 months because, well, it was TIME. The thing is the 80/20s I replaced them with didn't have as smooth a sound as the nickels. Recently discovered D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings. Fabulous long lasting tone that takes a few days to settle in but doesn't change after a long time.
Beal
Posted 2017-07-06 8:18 AM (#535705 - in reply to #535701)

what kills strings
1. sweat, dirt, gets between the wraps and muffles the sound
2. over time the stretch causes the core and winds to become just a bit looser and the string works against itself. more so if you are constantly going between std tuning and open tunings
3. If you play a lot the strings get bent from the frets, especially the unwound. This causes them to vibrate differently and not in a good way
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-07-06 8:27 AM (#535706 - in reply to #535701)

I'm with Leonard and Beal on the DNA thing. If even with freshly washed hands just one light touch on a surface is enough to leave a fingerprint that can be lifted with dust and tape, all the touching of guitar strings is bound to accumulate skin oils quite rapidly and dull the sound.. especially the wound strings. We've probably all be amazed how much gunk is seen on a white cloth after wiping down strings that aren't really very old. I remember how impressed I was the first time I used coated strings (D'ad EXP16s) and saw how much better they clean up and how much more they bounce back in sound after a clean wiping than non-coated do. Oxidation is bound to play a role, too, as I have found that placing new strings on a guitar that have sat in their package for an extended period before use always seem to go dull much faster than newly bought ones, so I am guessing (just guessing) that your question about having non-played strings on a guitar for a long time would probably be answered with no, they will not sound like new strings because of oxidation. Of course, this is all just pure speculation since I have not majored in science since the 7th grade (and I slept through most of that).

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-07-06 8:32 AM
Darkbar
Posted 2017-07-06 2:10 PM (#535710 - in reply to #535705)

Beal - 2017-07-06 9:18 AM

what kills strings
1. sweat, dirt, gets between the wraps and muffles the sound

I notice that the same thing happens to my bed sheets if I don't change them every 6 months or so.

Curiously, I get dents ONLY in my 3rd string (the lightest wound string, of course), and only at the first 5 frets. I know it's due to that string being the most "delicate" and I bend a lot of notes, but the interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to effect the sustain of that string versus any of the other strings that don't show any damage. Rings true and long. Seems odd...
nerdydave
Posted 2017-07-09 11:03 PM (#535731 - in reply to #535701)

Thanking you all for your contributions to this thread. I found it interesting and informative!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)