The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Looking for upgrades and ideas

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

jburcham777
Posted 2010-11-12 3:37 PM (#2607)
Subject: Looking for upgrades and ideas

My searches for Ovation always seemed to lead me to this forum so I figured it was time I registered. I own two Ovataions - an Elite Standard 6778 and a Legend 1777LX. Yes, I get tired of the comments about the "plastic" body of the Ovation! It's a great sounding and great playing guitar!
The immediate thing that has brought me here is my desire to upgrade the preamp in the 6778 from the OP-24Plus to the OP-24Plus C preamp. I really love having the built-in tuner on my other guitar. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone that sells them.
I'm hoping this forum will help me to locate one, help with how to replace it and give me other ideas from time to time on how to get the most out of my Ovations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2010-11-12 4:47 PM (#2608 - in reply to #2607)
Subject: Re: Looking for upgrades and ideas

Welcome, nice guitars. The OP-24 series are among the best preamps Ovation made, but I doubt you'll find any off the shelf. They were late 80's to mid-90s models and are a few generations old now. You can try Ovation customer service (email/phone on the Ovation website), but unless they have one gathering dust under a pile of other old forgotten stuff they may not be able to help.

Options: get a newer generation preamp (~$100). This would require you to rout out (with a Dremel) the square hole and shape it into the kidney shape for the current generation preamp housings.

Much easier would be to get a clip-on tuner ($10-$20), along these lines . They're small, work well, and have the advantage of being able to be used on more than one guitar.
jburcham777
Posted 2010-11-12 4:58 PM (#2609 - in reply to #2607)

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been staying away from routing out for a newer preamp because I've seen so many people that had problems doing it. I've considered the clip-on tuner but it's just one more thing to set up (though not difficult). Right now I use a Boss tuner pedal and will continue with that unless I find someone that has the OP-24 sitting around gathering dust. :-)

Thanks again!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2010-11-12 6:23 PM (#2610 - in reply to #2607)

See if you can find an OP24+C and see if you like it. The early ones with tuners were really tiny and hard for me to use. I had one in an Optima, which was more modern than the OP24s and it was easier for me to use a separate tuner. My eyes are old and I have to use reading glasses over my contacts or my bifocals if I'm not wearing the contacts. You might not have that problem, but it would be a good idea to find out before you buy the +C.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)