The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Release for original song?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

fillhixx
Posted 2017-04-24 12:49 PM (#533881)
Subject: Release for original song?

Hi gang, not posting much these days being busy with other stuff. But I check in once in a while.

thought this would be a place to ask about finding a legal form for permission to record an original song. I have a couple of excellent songs written by friends and acquaintances over the years that I'd like to record. Do one of our resident genius legal beagles know where I'd find a release form for that?

thank you very kindly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2017-04-25 9:55 AM (#533902 - in reply to #533881)
Subject: Re: Release for original song?

you can do it on line with the copyright office
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-04-25 10:06 AM (#533903 - in reply to #533881)

Canadian laws most likely mirror those in the USA (per the Berne Convention) where you can "record" your own rendering of anything you'd like at any time, and play it back in your own, private space all you want to with no stringent legal binding. It's what you do with it OUTSIDE of that space that gets into expanded legal territory, especially if you plan to sell (or otherwise distribute) copies of the recordings or to place any of it into public performance. What do you plan on doing with your recordings??

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-04-25 10:30 AM
Darkbar
Posted 2017-04-27 10:04 AM (#533924 - in reply to #533881)

How much copywrite protection do I have if I record one of MY original songs and post it on Youtube, if I haven't actually done any actual legal paperwork to protect it? Trust me...I don't think I've written anything special that anyone would want to steal, but just curious? If I claim it's original, post it on January 1st 2018, if later someone was to copy it or "borrow" from it, would I have ANY protection?
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-04-27 4:18 PM (#533935 - in reply to #533881)

Darkbar.. Copyright law is a lot more complex than most people would imagine it to be since it spans out into so many different areas of form and statutory timeline. I have been copyrighting items for about 25 years, and various laws have changed and adjusted many times over that period. There are also international protection laws that evolve as well.

Anyway, to basically answer your question--- the moment you create something (writings, music, artwork, etc.) and place it into a tangible form, it's legally yours. Protecting the rights to it, however, is another thing. What you are saying about posting it on YouTube for dating reference is called a "poor man's copyright", and isn't worth anything at all should it ever come to a legal push-and-shove. Neither is a postmarked envelope mailed to yourself, or anything else along those lines. The only thing that makes your claim to ownership certain is to officially register a copy of it with your country's copyright office. In the USA that is the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress. I believe the US cost for essential application is currently $35 (which also covers the application on many/most international fronts). You can also register up to 20 songs per application as long as you register it as a collective piece. They also require a tangible copy to be sent. For music it can be either a recording or printed sheet music. Again, what I am posting here is a very, very basic answer. There can be a lot of variables depending on what type of work is being copyrighted and how/where/when it could possibly be used by others.. but if you feel the need for protection, the best thing to do is register it.

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-04-27 4:49 PM
Darkbar
Posted 2017-04-28 6:51 PM (#533948 - in reply to #533881)

Thanks, LOF. I like the 20 songs idea. I might as well do all my stuff at one time for "one low price..."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)