The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Cost of having the mother ship refurbish?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

obses4sail
Posted 2017-04-17 10:06 PM (#533734)
Subject: Cost of having the mother ship refurbish?

I just picked up a 1972 Legend and it needs a little TLC. For those of you that have sent your guitar back to the factory, what has cost you?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2017-04-17 11:09 PM (#533735 - in reply to #533734)
Subject: Re: Cost of having the mother ship refurbish?

Congrats on your new old guitar. What do you need done?
bvince
Posted 2017-04-18 3:15 AM (#533742 - in reply to #533734)

It will depend on what exactly you'll want done. They like to actually see the guitar before they can really give you a good solid quote. The cool thing is that there are so many things you can do at that time to customize or personalize the instrument. They do a FANTASTIC job on the refinishing, set it up, fill and level frets. If there are any "issues" with the neck, they have the ability to address those things, even if something needs to be replaced to fix it. My guitars have always come back looking and sounding even more phenomenal that I thought possible, and it was definitely worth every dollar I invested. Of course, the few remaining instruments I have mean that much to me, and I have no other expensive hobbies or vices
'Hope that helps.

Edited by bvince 2017-04-18 3:17 AM
obses4sail
Posted 2017-04-18 6:04 AM (#533743 - in reply to #533734)

The bridge and saddle need to be replaced and the top needs to be refinished. But after seeing the rebirth was curious if you are spending $200-300 or $800? Will the cost of repairs excide the value?
Weaser P
Posted 2017-04-18 7:49 AM (#533745 - in reply to #533734)

"Will the cost of repairs excide the value?" The value to you? Only you know that.

Email John Budney at the 'Ship and see what he can tell you on rough costs for work (but, as Vince said, they do like to see it to give it a solid quote), then make your decision but, again like Vince said, they do outSTANDing work. "Worth every dollar" is an understatement. And John is an amazingly honest guy. He'll be the first to tell you if you're only paying to put lipstick on a pig.
jay
Posted 2017-04-18 9:18 AM (#533747 - in reply to #533745)

I bought an abused 40th Balladeer for bottom dollar...but the bowl was in terrible shape. It actually looked like they had taken a blow torch to part of it and an SOS pad to another part. The buckle that caused a mid bowl rash must have been from the barbed wire rodeo. The soundboard had a couple of dents and a bad case of pick rash.

I sent it to the MS with the full expectation of it needing a new bowl. Kim basically told me to hang tight and they would see what could be done. A couple of weeks later, he called up and said that I owed them a couple of hundred...the shipping to and from was almost as much as the bill. I was shocked when he told me they were able to fix the bowl. That was an understatement. 

I got back a brand new guitar. I was astounded. You could have taken a magnifying glass and not found one imperfection on the bowl or the top. They even set it up. 

The craftsmen at Ovation take unbelievable pride in their profession...not only on the new guitars, but with the battered children that come back to them.   The cost...to me it seems extremely reasonable, bordering on cheap, for the guitar that you get back. 

As with anything else...it is how you value the guitar.  

adamkrz
Posted 2017-04-18 9:43 AM (#533749 - in reply to #533734)

I was lucky that I live not far from the Mothership and was able too pick up and deliver myself.

The guitar that I had them repair was just a lower end Balladeer special that needed a neck reset and bridge work that my local luthier said wouldn't be worth it but now this guitar has become my favorite - it really is a custom made instrument to me worth more than even my higher end guitars..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)