The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
X Braced Balladeer Repair

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

ChuckSurette
Posted 2017-04-13 6:15 PM (#533677)
Subject: X Braced Balladeer Repair

1977 Balladeer

I picked up my first Ovation - this 1977 Balladeer recently, not sure of the model # as the sticker is gone.  I've discovered a few things about it, in the short time we've been together.

It looks to have had the top swapped - purfling by the waist is off & rosette doesn't look right.  Inside - it's X-braced with what looks like a rosewood bridge pad.  The bridge, as shown - has had the original pickup removed and a new insert installed with a piezo.  Saddle slot is straight across...oops!

I've taken the bridge off (it was loose) and added a humidifier inside before I tackle a top crack.  My plan is to let it acclimate for a bit, then I'll have another look at the neck angle.  I don't like what I see now, so a Bowl Bend may be in this Balladeers future.

Without the model # - can you tell what model it might be by the inlays?

More pictures & carnage to follow.

Chuck

Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2017-04-13 7:28 PM (#533681 - in reply to #533677)
Subject: RE: X Braced Balladeer Repair

Yes, this guitar has been re-topped. That rosette is definitely non-standard. The early Balladeers were X-braced, but the x-braces were quite a bit simpler than what you'd find on a Martin or Taylor, though to my knowledge Ovation never put rosewood bridge plates. The LX braces used maple bridge plates, but not rosewood.

Here's what the latter X-braces looked like. This is from my 1974 1111-4.

This is what the typical Martin X-brace pattern looks like.

From the inlays, and the fact that it's a 1977 and AE, I'd hazard a guess and say it's a 1612 Custom Balladeer.

Here's a page that you use to determine what model it might be. (See: Ovation Decoder)

Dan

Edited by DanSavage 2017-04-13 7:31 PM
ChuckSurette
Posted 2017-04-13 9:18 PM (#533682 - in reply to #533677)
Subject: Re: X Braced Balladeer Repair

Thanks Dan - now I'm really scratching my head. The x brace looks like your 1111-4, it has a nice patch over the union of the X, but the tone bars positioned more like a Martin. I think the rear of the bridge pad is curved. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the model info. Does the rosette look at all like a Celebrity? It appears to be a foil stick on, under the finish. No trace of the original large rosette. Color matches the headstock. No locating pins on the bridge. Hole for the piezo is neat.

ChuckSurette
Posted 2017-04-14 6:08 AM (#533689 - in reply to #533677)
Subject: RE: X Braced Balladeer Repair

Balladeer X braced

Martinized scalloped bracing

Top and rosette

Better shot of 3 ring rosette.  Bridge came of clean. Tiny hole for transducer.

DanSavage
Posted 2017-04-14 8:34 AM (#533691 - in reply to #533689)

Yep. Those braces look like standard Martin X-brace pattern. It's nice that your bridge came off cleanly.

To glue the bridge down I use Hysol 0151. I used to use Hysol 9462, but I like the 0151 better because it's clear instead of white, like the 9462. It has about the same strength as 9462. It also has a lower Tg temp, which will make it easier to remove in the future, should the need arise.

I wouldn't use any sort of carpenter's glue as it doesn't have the right properties for a high-stress part like the bridge.

Edited by DanSavage 2017-04-14 8:36 AM
ChuckSurette
Posted 2017-04-14 1:42 PM (#533699 - in reply to #533677)

Thanks, I'll check out the Hysol.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)