The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Top Repair Story, more detail

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Jon Clinch
Posted 2017-04-13 8:26 AM (#533659)
Subject: Top Repair Story, more detail

I mentioned this in my first post over at the Welcome Center, but I wanted to revisit it in more detail and include a photo if I can. In other words, stop me if you've heard this one.

Since 1976, the only guitar I've ever really wanted has been my beloved Ovation Folklore 1114-4—so you can imagine my dismay when a few months ago, right during the Grammy Awards, the bridge separated from the top with a memorable explosion. (I blame Beyoncé, but that's another story.)

I thought it was beyond hope. Various luthiers advised me to have a new top fitted, but I wasn't convinced that that was the way to go. I ended up contacting Ovation in New Hartford, and was utterly astonished when John Budny reported that they'd found my warranty card and should be able to do the repair for little or nothing. Yesterday morning I picked up my magnificently restored old friend. The Ovation craftsmen did absolutely amazing work, as you can see from the before-and-after photo I'll (try to) attach.

In addition to bringing the original top back to life by sanding it level, they glued a crack in the lower bout and worked on the neck and the fretboard. As a result, the guitar plays and sounds better than ever. I'm overwhelmed.

Many, many thanks to the dedicated folks at Ovation Guitars.

(Enlight4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Enlight4.jpg (67KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2017-04-13 9:15 AM (#533660 - in reply to #533659)
Subject: Re: Top Repair Story, more detail

Congratulations on a wise decision and a great restored instrument. The same thing happened to my fist Ovation and it was a very stressful moment when I discovered the damage. Unfortunately I was not the original owner and I live in Canada, so I just had it repaired by the local luthier who did a tremendous job that held up for the what it would have cost me just to ship to NH. Though he re-attached the bridge he could not fix the broken finish, so it was very obvious what had happened. In hindsight I should have paid the extra few $100 to have it done right.

Edited by d'ovation 2017-04-13 9:17 AM
BCam
Posted 2017-04-13 10:20 AM (#533662 - in reply to #533659)

What great customer support, all the more impressive given the company's ups and downs, ownership changes, etc. Although my needs were relatively minor, John Budny was outstanding in helping me out.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-04-13 11:42 AM (#533664 - in reply to #533659)

Fantastic work. And I'm impressed you could do such a good job posting the before and after pictures. I like them side by side.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-04-13 12:26 PM (#533667 - in reply to #533659)

One of the very cool things about a repair like this is that the factory takes all of the finish off of the top and then refinishes it. It comes back lighter and with a thinner finish. Beautiful......
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-04-13 1:37 PM (#533669 - in reply to #533659)

Old Folklores are the best.
Glad that the folks at the MotherShip could save yours.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-04-13 7:11 PM (#533679 - in reply to #533659)

Congrats on getting your baby back!!!
The Mothership is the best hands down who else would warranty a 40 year old guitar.

bvince
Posted 2017-04-14 2:51 AM (#533688 - in reply to #533659)

Hands down, the best guys in the repair busness. I wish there was some kind of way to give them special recognition. But it sounds like they do it for the satisfaction of just being the best at it. SPECIAL THANKS and blessings to those of you who have been involved over the many years. I especiallyy love what you did to my 1537. It came back looking immaculate and even sounding better as noted with the newer and thinner finish. GREAT WORK!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)