The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Tonewood Amp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

BCam
Posted 2017-03-30 7:59 PM (#533463)
Subject: Tonewood Amp

I heard one of these on a Taylor the other day and it was pretty impressive. I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not it would work on an Ovation. I'm not sure it would make proper contact with the rounded back. It mounts magnetically to an X-shaped brace inside the guitar.

https://www.tonewoodamp.com/

Top of the page Bottom of the page
BCam
Posted 2017-03-30 8:03 PM (#533464 - in reply to #533463)
Subject: Re: Tonewood Amp

Never mind, I found info on their site indicating that most Ovations and the Baby Taylor are known to be incompatible. Oh well, I own both.
FlySig
Posted 2017-03-31 9:22 AM (#533474 - in reply to #533463)

Might it attach to the top of the guitar? Unsightly, yes. And the opportunity to scratch the top, too, most likely.
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-03-31 9:08 PM (#533484 - in reply to #533463)

@BCam - "most Ovations and the Baby Taylor are known to be incompatible."

And interesting gadget for sure.. but yep, when it said it works on only flat and "slightly" arched backs, I knew the typical Ovation was a no-go. As well, it doesn't work on "any" acoustic guitar like they say. What they mean is that it works on a purely acoustic guitar... if... you buy a compatible clip-in pickup for it first. But it still sounds like a nifty piece of equipment per your experience of hearing it. Did it add much for volume, or is it mostly just for tone enhancement and adding effects?
BCam
Posted 2017-04-01 12:45 PM (#533497 - in reply to #533463)

Based on what I heard, I'd say that there is a volume increase but I found this comment on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

"Interesting. I emailed the folks at Tonewood about this exact question regarding volume prior to ordering mine and they said there's no actual, measurable increase in volume and it's not an amplifier in the strictest sense. I hope you're correct and it's not just a perceived increase due to sustain and overtones from the effects, though even that would be nice."

My impression is that the perceived difference is comparable to a 12 string vs a 6 string.

Here's an interesting video on the Tonewood Amp and virtual instrument applications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDjsejydJo

Edited by BCam 2017-04-01 12:46 PM
Gemm
Posted 2017-08-29 2:12 PM (#537239 - in reply to #533463)
Subject: RE: Tonewood Amp

I was quite interested in this, so I've asked them. They are in the process of making it possible for Ovations. But they said the contour-back has got enough flat surface, so some players already have made it work.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2017-08-29 5:02 PM (#537240 - in reply to #533463)

Neat little gizmo for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)