The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Electronics question Deacon 12-String

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Melonos
Posted 2017-03-12 11:33 AM (#533174)
Subject: Electronics question Deacon 12-String

Hi, I have just bought a Deacon 12string and have some I think very special questions about the electronics of this guitar.
As you can see in the picture attached it has two output jacks.
The lower one is the regulary jack, the other one is a mono jack. I dont know if this is added by ovation or later by someone else.
While changing strings I took a closer look to the electronics. The second jack has two cables the first one is white and is soldered the ground, the other one is green and is soldered to - nothing.
Well, it has been soldered to any point in the past, but one of the pre-owners has neatly clean removed it from the circuit board and isolated it with some heat-shrink tubing.

So here are my questions:
Does anybody know if this second jack is original (the Deacon has a four digit serial so it must be one of the first 12strings made January or February 1975)
Does anybody know where the green cable has to be connected to the circuit board?

Sorry, I didnt make pictures of the electronics inside the guitar
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-12 11:37 AM (#533175 - in reply to #533174)
Subject: RE: Electronics question Deacon 12-String

Adding a Picture to the post before didnt work, so this is the second try for adding it

Melonos
Posted 2017-03-12 11:49 AM (#533176 - in reply to #533174)

Adding attachment isnt working and editing the posts isnt possible too, so I try it this way

IMG_20170312_170304

https://ibb.co/npN00a

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-03-12 3:09 PM (#533177 - in reply to #533174)
Subject: Re: Electronics question Deacon 12-String

No, that second jack is Not original.
HERE is a very little manual.
And here is one that SOLD on Reverb.

Here is a random advertisement...

I know nothing about wiring so I cannot comment on that subject.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-03-12 4:01 PM (#533178 - in reply to #533174)

As it has been modified, all bets are off on wire colors.. Upon your response I'll move this to the general forum where more people can respond. You are a full member now and can post there as well.
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-13 3:21 AM (#533196 - in reply to #533174)

@Old Man Arthur: yes I know that manual, but here: http://www.doremi.co.uk/breadwinner/circuits.html is a circuit diagram which shows two output jacks.

@Mr. Ovation: the wires attached to the jack are white (soldered to ground) and green (not connected)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-03-13 3:39 AM (#533198 - in reply to #533174)

Hi,
The diagram in the link you supplied is for a UKII (per the note on the diagram with two jacks), not a Deacon. It's also for passive circuit. Does your Deacon still have the pre-amp in it? My comments about the wires are that once there is a modification, the color of the wire has no meaning unless you know the modification was done by someone that really knew what they were doing. We'd have to see the circuit or have someone actually take a close look at it. I can say simply that stock, there are no loose wires not connected.
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-13 4:19 AM (#533199 - in reply to #533174)

Just have seen an ad for the stereo UKII and thought the same about the circuit - well that happens if you dont use your reading glasses ;-)

the pre-amp is still in and working fine, but sadly I didnt make pictures of it as I changed strings two days ago. I will make picture once I will make the next string change, but that could last a little bit. I dont want to detach the strings as in most cases you want get some of them back working.
So this thread may rest a little while, exept someone else knows why it would make sense to add a second output jack

EDIT: after thinking about it some while: could it be that someone tried to take the signal from one of the pickups before it goes through the preamp? But I do not know if it is possible to use this pickups just as passive PUs

Edited by Melonos 2017-03-13 4:35 AM
BCam
Posted 2017-03-13 10:43 AM (#533201 - in reply to #533174)

There's no reason that one couldn't bypass the internal circuitry and output the signal from one or both pickups to an external pre-amp. If the internal pre-amp is working properly, someone might do this because they liked the characteristics of the external pre-amp better.

I'm a ham radio operator and I've had to correct prior mods several times on previously owned radios. In terms of where that unconnected wire was previously connected, take a magnifier and, with a bright light, carefully inspect the solder pads and terminals on the printed circuit board. Unmodified solder points should be nice and smooth, while a modified one would probably have remnants of extra solder, look rough or globby. Also look for evidence of excess flux or overheating around a solder point. If it was original and disconnected, the solder point would look OK but there may be a remnant of the wire where it was connected to the board.

You might also be able to tell if it was original by comparing the mounting holes for the two jacks. If they are uniformly identical, I'd guess original. An add-on might have a slightly different size or irregularities from using a hand-held drill or there may be evidence of deburring that's different from the standard jack. The quality of the solder joints on the jack or where the ground wire is soldered to the board would also be a clue.
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-13 1:42 PM (#533203 - in reply to #533174)

Thanks a lot. I will check this while changing the strings next time
numbfingers
Posted 2017-03-13 5:41 PM (#533213 - in reply to #533174)

I've seen pictures of lots of Breadwinners and Deacons, but never one with an extra jack and the original electronics intact. Does the added jack have any output?

Some discussion about the preamps and links to schematics can be found in this old thread: http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=32...

The Breadwinner page has incorrectly shown that UKII schematic for years.

Next time you take the the strings off, you might want to take the pickguard off so we can see a picture. I wouldn't be in any hurry to restring a 12-string if the original electronics and jack are working OK.

-Steve W.

Melonos
Posted 2017-03-14 10:44 AM (#533223 - in reply to #533174)

No, as I wrote before the second jack isnt working because the green wire is disconnected from the circuit board and isolated

Edited by Melonos 2017-03-14 10:46 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-03-15 2:25 AM (#533229 - in reply to #533174)

Melonos, I'm curios... I'd love to see a picture of the inside of the cavity. I'm having a hard time visualizing enough room between the pickguard and the circuit board where that jack is, to put one in.

FWIW... an easy way to "unstring" the guitar without actually taking the strings off, is to loosen the strings a bit, and put a Capo as far up on the neck as possible. Than you can just remove the bridge angle adjustment screw (back of bridge) and carefully lift the bridge off, with the strings still on it.
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-15 9:50 AM (#533232 - in reply to #533174)

I'll see what I can do in the next week...

and a little bit offtopic: does someone know if the guy which is operating this site with serial number registration still maintaining this? http://www.ovationgallery.com/collectors/collector-solid.htm
I sent in my serial but nothing happened...

Edited by Melonos 2017-03-15 9:56 AM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-03-15 10:44 AM (#533233 - in reply to #533174)

I don't think Dave maintains the serial number lists and hasn't for several years.
BCam
Posted 2017-03-15 4:18 PM (#533236 - in reply to #533174)

If you figure out where the disconnected wire was previously connected, make sure you check the schematic and the integrity of the jack before connecting it. It may have been disconnected because it wasn't working properly and causing problems even if it was original.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-03-15 5:25 PM (#533237 - in reply to #533174)

So a little photoshop fun... I guess with some modification to the cavity and maybe a little off the edge of the circuit board... but that jack is a tight fit. I'd get a new pickguard and just restore it to original.

(bw-preampoverlay.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bw-preampoverlay.jpg (38KB - 1 downloads)
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-27 12:29 PM (#533428 - in reply to #533174)

Sorry guys, it lasted a while but finally I managed to take photos of the electronics.

First the secret why the second jack fits in:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKplxBtUUyuQnJZTnJEOW1VYm8/view?us...

and finally the electronics. I marked the spot where the wires are soldered to:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKplxBtUUyuV09qOWk1SEhXZk0/view?us...

The pre-owner told me, that another owner before did this modification because he wanted to connect the guitar to an amp and a mixer at the same time.

Maybe this was just a parallel output jack
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-03-27 3:26 PM (#533431 - in reply to #533174)

That really is just a parallel jack.. Seems kinda silly to tear up the guitar when they could have used a Y-Cable/Adapter just as easily. If you follow the trace where the white wire attaches... it goes directly to the output jack.
BCam
Posted 2017-03-27 10:50 PM (#533432 - in reply to #533174)

I'm with Mr. Ovation, get another pickguard and restore it to its original state.
Melonos
Posted 2017-03-28 2:47 AM (#533434 - in reply to #533174)

Yes, and its silly to do such bad woodworking - for nothing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)