The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas W681T 2004 HELP!!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

mitchwaks
Posted 2017-01-24 2:32 PM (#532253)
Subject: Adamas W681T 2004 HELP!!

Help,
I just bought my first Ovation. I don't really know what I have? I can not find anything on line about this model. It's a 2004 Adamas W681T. It has electronics and two inputs - one a regular jack for my amp and another one that I don't even know what it does but its a more complicated looking input jack. Also, it came with a wrench. what in the heck do i do with that? Also, it appears to have never been played, yet it has some serious fret buzzing. I know, I know, I bought it sight unseen on line.

Any help for this babe in the woods (or should I say graphite) will be greatly appreciated. It's pretty. Red woven graphite with 22 holes. non cutaway. no markings at all on the fret board? a little neck binding separation that hopefully i can just glue back on.

Mitch

also, do you guys recommend any upgrades? the nut or bridge? the tuners? oh, and how do i put in a battery? oh, and what happens if i unscrew the round opening in the bowl?

oh my, so much to learn. sorry to be this lame.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-01-24 3:22 PM (#532256 - in reply to #532253)
Subject: Re: Adamas W681T 2004 HELP!!

Hi Mitch, THIS ONE?

Does the weird jack have three prongs in it? If so it is an XLR jack.
It is used to plug a microphone cable into to connect with the house PA system.
Supposedly an XLR offers a better transmission than a regular 1/4" Jack.

If the wrench is a little "Allen" Hex Wrench it is to adjust the neck relief from the inside of the bowl.
This would remove the buzzing.
BUT, if you don't know what you are doing you may want to leave this to a professional.
First, I would change the strings. The strings may be too light.
I would try .012-.053, or heavier if "Mediums" are your preference.

No... I would not change the saddle. This is the saddle that was made for this guitar.
You would only change the nut if that was needed for string height, if the guitar hasn't been played that should not be a problem.

To change the battery, you push the big button on the preamp.
Once out, you slide the back cover off of the preamp unit.
Be careful when putting the unit back into the guitar.
HERE is a video about battery installation for an iDea preamp...
This is the same for other OP preamps.

I hope this helps with your new toy. (I am jealous)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-01-24 3:26 PM (#532257 - in reply to #532253)

Oh... Opening the round hole is how you get into the back to adjust the truss rod.
Also to do any repairs if something should need repairing.
Here is a crappy tutorial... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvPB6vih3pw
mitchwaks
Posted 2017-01-24 4:20 PM (#532258 - in reply to #532253)
Subject: RE: Adamas W681T 2004 HELP!!

Yes, that is the exact one i just bought. First, thank you for the tips. I have read some people went to a bone nut and saddle to improve the sound but you don't agree?
The only authorized dealer in st Louis is Guitar Center, would you recommend that I take the guitar there for the adjustment to the truss rod to eliminate the buzzing?

Any other improvements you would recommend? also, it came with new strings and a few extra new sets all Adamas 12-53 lights. Do you have a better recommendation for strings on this graphite top, plastic bowl set up?

It does have two guitar strap buttons installed.

So the xlr jack looks just like a microphone jack. I can't plug that into my fender twin reverb obviously, but you're saying that I can plug it into a PA system or a newer amp that takes an xlr. What does the community say about amps - is there a universal favorite or at least one that is mentioned a lot that makes captures the sound really well?

I have to admit, this guitar is not only gorgeous, I love the red black woven graphite looks, and the crop circle looking holes, but already without anything being done sounds so great, unlike any of the 30 or so guitars i already own. It is unique and I am already proud to own a piece of american guitar history.

Thanks again,
Mitch in St. Louis
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-01-24 4:31 PM (#532260 - in reply to #532253)

FWIW, it's a Carbon Fiber top and the back is either Lyrachord or Fiberglass. OMA will probably have more info on a popular amp. I would use a FRFR monitor or an Acoustic Guitar amp.
mitchwaks
Posted 2017-01-24 4:38 PM (#532261 - in reply to #532253)

Also Arthur, I love your signature quote. I too have many more guitars than my talent dictates. one day when I retire is the refrain i keep repeating to me and my wife who looks at me like Ive lost my mind whenever a new guitar sneaks itself into my house.
mitchwaks
Posted 2017-01-24 4:41 PM (#532263 - in reply to #532260)

oops. thanks you for the correction. the seller told me graphite. But carbon fiber is even cooler.
Mitch
TAFKAR
Posted 2017-01-24 7:11 PM (#532266 - in reply to #532253)

Technically, the top is a very, very thin piece of wood (birch or spruce I think?) sandwiched between two incredibly thin pieces of carbon fibre. The whole deal is way thinner than a traditional wood top. The back is lyrachord, which is Ovation's brand name for the material they use to make molded bowls.

If you're at all unsure about truss rod adjustment, take it to a luthier, but it's not that hard to do, once you know what you're doing. A luthier will be able to make sure there isn't some other problem with the setup first though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)