The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Visited new Hartford

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Todd G.
Posted 2017-01-10 5:47 PM (#531879 - in reply to #531838)
Subject: Re: Visited new Hartford

alpep - 2017-01-09 8:56 PM nancy sorry..... WHAT did you see? they are in the process of a rehab of a famous doubleneck for a famous player. can't say more than that

This sounds pretty cool...especially if it's the one that resides (or used to reside) at the NYC Hard Rock Cafe.  Tim Luton shared a photo some time ago and it looked like that guitar may have had (at least) a finish crack in the top.  Maybe that's why that guitar was taken out of service in the first place. 

Of course, this is all assumption and supposition on my part.  I could be completely off track.  

I know Al can't share more than that, so I'll wait patiently to hear more later. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2017-01-10 7:14 PM (#531883 - in reply to #531876)

january does suck...but not as bad as december....remember I sell non essential items.....
360Ovation
Posted 2017-01-13 2:50 PM (#531986 - in reply to #531857)

alpep - 2017-01-10 10:56 AM

I seem to attract the lunatic fringe at times and well what can I say???? it goes with the territory

That's what happens when you hang around here...

...Nancy, you have to remember, women are caring, sensitive souls - therefore they truly want to know everything...then they can care even more.

The reason most men don't give much information or remember many details...we really don't care that much about anything.

Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-01-13 4:48 PM (#531991 - in reply to #531764)

That's very insightful and might explain why I forget a name as soon as I hear it and never ask all those questions that my wife does. My sister always talks at least 45 minutes after the first time she says goodbye and when my wife asks what she said, all I can remember is "goodbye".
Nancy
Posted 2017-01-13 9:14 PM (#531993 - in reply to #531986)

360Ovation - 2017-01-13 2:50 PM

The reason most men don't give much information or remember many details...we really don't care that much about anything.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That does explain it!
And Thank You for not saying Women are just nosey...
Thank you 360, a good giggle is always much appreciated!

Edited by Nancy 2017-01-13 9:26 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2017-01-22 11:57 PM (#532218 - in reply to #531764)

Hi, Everyone,
I don't like January, either, because I live in CANADA, and, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, and it'll change!" I still just use a pocket watch myself. I liked the NAMM 2017 Ovation video on YT, but I found it was a bit jumpy, attention span-wise. I must be getting old, eh? Can I actually get a SSB Elite Plus Koa? If not, I'll take the new Glen Campbell Balladeer model in Natural, please, and thank you. Is it still using the GC Artist /Mid-Depth Bowl? Or maybe I should get a mandolin? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. I have definitely got GAS again. Some !@#$ internet company called, "Bang Good". is now selling, get this.. ,"grape- hole", ukuleles? Grape holes? C'MON, MAN!? It looks like we are STILL getting copied, but STILL YET, VERY BADLY, AGAIN, Arthur! Yikes! Nancy, if you like to talk, I like to listen. However, I have heard some say, "The devil is in the details." I never looked for him there, nor anywhere else, for that matter. He just shows up, to tempt me every single day, because that's his job. Alpep, Mr. Ovation, DW, John Budny, Darren Wallace, Beal, and others, are all doing a great job in keeping the OVATION brand going 50 years on, and I hope, 50 years more. We are NOT those other guitar companies, and we never pretended to be. Change is hard, true, but I was once told this is how we grow. Are we going to be just another, "boutique guitar", company, and leave the average joe/jill without a quality guitar, unless they sell a leg, and a head? Or maybe a kidney, like Thunderbolt? (We just still need our collective arms, and hands to play an Ovation, am I right? I know, I know, yes, I watched way too much Monty Python. "I AM THE MINISTER OF SILLY WALKS!" I once worked in retail/music sales too, and yes, the customer is always right. The Ovation brand still has staying power, and it will for some time, by the looks of things. Attracting new customers, while retaining al those things that made us iconic, will continue to be a fine balance. I'll stick with my OVATION, because I like it.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2017-01-23 12:06 AM
alpep
Posted 2017-01-23 7:50 AM (#532224 - in reply to #531764)

I have a mango in stock you can have it in a few days
As for the Campbell yes

I cN custom order anything you want e mail me
Todd G.
Posted 2017-01-23 5:07 PM (#532230 - in reply to #531879)

Todd G. - 2017-01-10 4:47 PM

alpep - 2017-01-09 8:56 PM nancy sorry..... WHAT did you see? they are in the process of a rehab of a famous doubleneck for a famous player. can't say more than that

This sounds pretty cool...especially if it's the one that resides (or used to reside) at the NYC Hard Rock Cafe.  Tim Luton shared a photo some time ago and it looked like that guitar may have had (at least) a finish crack in the top.  Maybe that's why that guitar was taken out of service in the first place. 

Of course, this is all assumption and supposition on my part.  I could be completely off track.  

I know Al can't share more than that, so I'll wait patiently to hear more later. 

ProfessorBB mentioned he saw Matt Smith tuning a RS double neck at NAMM.  Anybody have photos of this guitar at NAMM?

ovie26
Posted 2017-01-28 1:58 PM (#532330 - in reply to #531764)

Mike, you crack me up and make me think, something I am loathe to do on guitar forums.

Who do you like in the Stanley Cup playoffs?
PEZ
Posted 2017-02-27 6:05 PM (#532976 - in reply to #531764)

I saw an ad in Sweetwater Catalog that says DW California Custom Shop guitars. Are USA guitars being made outside New Hartford?
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-02-27 7:30 PM (#532980 - in reply to #531764)

There's an article in guitar world mag about these guitars,DW is making bookmatched tops for there 2017 Collectors series guitars so tops made in California.

http://www.guitarworld.com/contest/win-ovation-collectors-series-el...

And heres a u-tube video of the new models,Gorgeous Guitars!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dx_4VVGmcM
360Ovation
Posted 2017-02-28 4:54 PM (#532994 - in reply to #531764)

Oooooo...that Glen Campbell Signature model actually trips my trigger as much as the new ones (mostly because I suspect I could get a lefty made of that one...and the price? Something like $1699 street? YEAH!!!).

Which brings up a point a few of us have made a THOUSAND times...

...DW Drums, will you please, please, PLEASE make a mold for lefty contour bowls, so we can get in on the fun!

Edited by 360Ovation 2017-02-28 4:55 PM
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-03-01 12:04 PM (#533009 - in reply to #532994)

360Ovation - 2017-02-28 4:54 PM Oooooo...that Glen Campbell Signature model actually trips my trigger as much as the new ones (mostly because I suspect I could get a lefty made of that one...and the price? Something like $1699 street? YEAH!!!). Which brings up a point a few of us have made a THOUSAND times... ...DW Drums, will you please, please, PLEASE make a mold for lefty contour bowls, so we can get in on the fun!

Same hope here, but we're oh-so-much in the minority... I sent an e-mail months ago to the Mothership inquiring about their plans for us southpaws; I have yet to hear back from them. Though there are still great US-made vintage Ovations out there for us lefties to acquire on the secondary market (mostly A-braced L717s, which are superb).

Also this video of the new GC model in action (Premierguitar), unfortunately the boy who's demoing the beauty can't play at all...

Edited by leonardmccoy 2017-03-01 12:11 PM
d'ovation
Posted 2017-03-01 12:22 PM (#533010 - in reply to #532980)

2wheeldrummer - 2017-02-27 7:30 PM There's an article in guitar world mag about these guitars,DW is making bookmatched tops for there 2017 Collectors series guitars so tops made in California. http://www.guitarworld.com/contest/win-ovation-collectors-series-el... And heres a u-tube video of the new models,Gorgeous Guitars!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dx_4VVGmcM

So these are NOT US Ovations but are made in Korea after tops are cut in California. 

360Ovation
Posted 2017-03-01 2:26 PM (#533014 - in reply to #533009)

leonardmccoy - 2017-03-01 12:04 PM

360Ovation - 2017-02-28 4:54 PM Oooooo...that Glen Campbell Signature model actually trips my trigger as much as the new ones (mostly because I suspect I could get a lefty made of that one...and the price? Something like $1699 street? YEAH!!!). Which brings up a point a few of us have made a THOUSAND times... ...DW Drums, will you please, please, PLEASE make a mold for lefty contour bowls, so we can get in on the fun!

Same hope here, but we're oh-so-much in the minority... I sent an e-mail months ago to the Mothership inquiring about their plans for us southpaws; I have yet to hear back from them. Though there are still great US-made vintage Ovations out there for us lefties to acquire on the secondary market (mostly A-braced L717s, which are superb).

Also this video of the new GC model in action (Premierguitar), unfortunately the boy who's demoing the beauty can't play at all...

Not only can he not play, he can't talk... he made up at least three words (mostly adjectives, but that doesn't matter, because he wouldn't know one if it bit him) trying to describe how wonderful these guitars are, even though he made it sound mediocre...

...and, the USA model has a CEDAR top? Why is that? Did Glen's ever have cedar tops?

Also, the USA models are not @ $1600 - that would be the Korean ones (of which I'm sure there will be no lefties). USA models are around $3K.

I do have an L717 from the early-mid '90's, and it is a great sounding and playing guitar...just very heavy compared to an older ('84 or so) lefty 1157 Anniversary model... maybe because the Anniversary model has no electronics (or the T-bar neck?).
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-03-01 2:54 PM (#533015 - in reply to #533014)

The staff was probably misinformed at the event as to the actual specs of the Glen Campbell US model, since the official NAMM site (link) lists other specs:

Glen Campbell Signature Model (US)

• precise recreation of Campbell's iconic “1771” model
  • handcrafted in Ovation’s Custom Shop located in New Hartford, CT
  • AA solid Sitka Spruce top
  • shallow "Vintage Style Lyrachord" body
  • 5-piece mahogany/maple neck 
  • ebony fingerboard w/ classic diamond inlays and mother-of-pearl Glen Campbell signature
  • walnut bridge
  • center sound hole design w/ inlaid maple leaf rosettes
  • FET preamp (stereo output, old-school volume and tone controls)
  • available in hand-sprayed Natural or Sunburst nitrocellulose lacquer
  • 9158-0 deluxe molded case included

Discounted price $1,699, retail $2,350.

Edited by leonardmccoy 2017-03-01 2:59 PM
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-03-01 3:01 PM (#533017 - in reply to #533014)

Yeah... there's that cedar word again... which doesn't make sense for a Glen tribute. As far as I know, all his steel strings were spruce. Only the classical's had cedar tops. Plus, that still looks way too blonde to be cedar to my eye. Hmmmm
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-03-01 3:22 PM (#533018 - in reply to #531764)

I saw it in person and never thought "cedar". It's spurce.....
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-03-01 6:03 PM (#533020 - in reply to #533010)

d'ovation - 2017-03-01 12:22 PM

2wheeldrummer - 2017-02-27 7:30 PM There's an article in guitar world mag about these guitars,DW is making bookmatched tops for there 2017 Collectors series guitars so tops made in California. http://www.guitarworld.com/contest/win-ovation-collectors-series-el... And heres a u-tube video of the new models,Gorgeous Guitars!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dx_4VVGmcM

So these are NOT US Ovations but are made in Korea after tops are cut in California. 

The model numbers are 2078AX plus letters for the specific wood veneer so I would say assembled in korea.

360Ovation
Posted 2017-03-02 10:20 AM (#533023 - in reply to #533015)

leonardmccoy - 2017-03-01 2:54 PM

The staff was probably misinformed at the event as to the actual specs of the Glen Campbell US model, since the official NAMM site (link) lists other specs:

Glen Campbell Signature Model (US)

• precise recreation of Campbell's iconic “1771” model
  • handcrafted in Ovation’s Custom Shop located in New Hartford, CT
  • AA solid Sitka Spruce top
  • shallow "Vintage Style Lyrachord" body
  • 5-piece mahogany/maple neck 
  • ebony fingerboard w/ classic diamond inlays and mother-of-pearl Glen Campbell signature
  • walnut bridge
  • center sound hole design w/ inlaid maple leaf rosettes
  • FET preamp (stereo output, old-school volume and tone controls)
  • available in hand-sprayed Natural or Sunburst nitrocellulose lacquer
  • 9158-0 deluxe molded case included

Discounted price $1,699, retail $2,350.

I see everything at that link except the price... which makes me leery to trusting that this will be a USA Signature model for a street price of $1,699... where did you find the pricing information? (Thanks in advance!)
Mike S.
Posted 2017-03-02 3:19 PM (#533030 - in reply to #533023)

Hey, Ovie from Pittsburgh,
Mike S. here. People keep telling me I'm funny. I don't know why. I'm all in with THE OTTAWA SENATORS for Lord Stanley's mug, naturellement. My nephew is their assistant physiotherapist, so we can get tickets from him. Based on your location, I'm assuming you would be a PENGUINS fan. Thinking on guitar forums???...Nah, I just lurk here in the weeds to see what's for sale. Now, that OFC lady member, NANCY from frozen Minnesota with her NAN-CAVE,( COVET, COVET), SHE makes ME laugh! GO SENS GO!
Mike S.
Ottawa,ON.
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2017-03-02 3:22 PM
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-03-03 9:24 AM (#533036 - in reply to #533023)

360Ovation - 2017-03-02 10:20 AM  I see everything at that link except the price... which makes me leery to trusting that this will be a USA Signature model for a street price of $1,699... where did you find the pricing information? (Thanks in advance!)

You're late to the party. All the NAMM info, findings, and photos are preserved in the NAMM thread. As far as I remember DW's own Bill Xavier mentioned the discounted price in one of the videos linked there.

Edited by leonardmccoy 2017-03-03 9:26 AM
motorcityrocker
Posted 2017-03-10 4:20 PM (#533167 - in reply to #531764)
Subject: RE: Visited new Hartford

I paid below the price that is mentioned here on this guitar. My Glen Campbell was ordered through Guitar Center and the guitar arrived on March 9th. I ordered it when I got back from the Namm Show. It took less than 2 months for the guitar to arrive and it is gorgeous. The staff at the Hartford Custom Shop plant did a fantastic job on building this guitar. The guitar top is spruce not cedar. Michael Roberts the sales rep for Ovation who was at Namm made sure my guitar got to me in a timely manner and he also made sure the guitar had no imperfections before it was shipped out the door. That was great customer service.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)