The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Visited new Hartford

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

alpep
Posted 2017-01-06 4:18 PM (#531764)
Subject: Visited new Hartford

Went to Ct yesterday to pick up some guitars

Bitter sweet

Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2017-01-06 4:47 PM (#531766 - in reply to #531764)
Subject: Re: Visited new Hartford

Well tell us more. How are things going there?
alpep
Posted 2017-01-07 4:33 PM (#531779 - in reply to #531764)

Things are OK but it was hard to see most of the old factory cut up into various spaces for other purposes
alpep
Posted 2017-01-07 4:35 PM (#531780 - in reply to #531764)

I have a pic of the old sign that was in the service department they did not take it down
I have to find a place to host it
Slipkid
Posted 2017-01-07 5:56 PM (#531784 - in reply to #531764)

I know what you mean.
Did you see the room where an artist hangs hundreds of small tiles from the ceiling that forms a full size horse?
You can now sit at a table in the old engineering room and have a burger and a beer. (it's a pretty good burger, too).
The wall that held one of every collectors model is now home to a big screen TV behind a bar.
The hardwood floors are still cool.
I'm still grateful for that little corner section, way in the back, that is still doing such good work.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2017-01-08 8:09 AM (#531788 - in reply to #531764)

What are they doing with the Hamer floor? I really miss that wonderful shop.
Slipkid
Posted 2017-01-08 8:31 AM (#531789 - in reply to #531764)

Maybe Al got that far... I didn't.
I saw a dance studio, a ltttle shop that sold oils, or herbs or some health thing like that. And a couple office spaces that look like some kind of business consultants.
Remember the wood storage area? That and the attached factory space is about it.
alpep
Posted 2017-01-08 2:54 PM (#531798 - in reply to #531764)

every floor has a bunch of little businesses in it......

my eyes glazed over
Nancy
Posted 2017-01-09 11:17 AM (#531814 - in reply to #531798)

Men are so annoying...

Al.....

WHO did you see? John, Darren, ????
WHAT did you see? Any new news, any new guitars that they are making? What other guitars did you get???
HOW do the Boys think things are going, anything long term come up?
WHERE did you get the NEW Adamas I, are they doing a Special Run for Japan on them, and you snagged, what 1, 2, 12??? They look FABULOUS!!!
WHY no pictures????
WHEN will they be able to make some Custom Adamas????

ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!
Getting details out of a man is SO FRUSTRATING!!! Inquiring Minds and Women WANT TO KNOW!!!

Edited by Nancy 2017-01-09 11:19 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-01-09 1:44 PM (#531820 - in reply to #531764)

"every floor has a bunch of little businesses in it...... " While I wish it were different, I guess I'm a glass half full kinda person. Nice to see small businesses opening up, especially in a state like CT that has been loosing more and more large businesses every year for many years.
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-09 6:46 PM (#531832 - in reply to #531764)

I'm with Mr. O. We all want the warm traditions of our life to remain in place, but if that were always the case then we'd be carving these posts on cave walls to keep the caveman happy. I think it's pretty cool that the facility has found a positive evolution with forms of commerce that people can make a living from instead of being just another old factory going derelict and overgrown next to a river someplace... and the bright side.. it IS still producing new guitars as well. This all makes me only half-glass-sad. Empty-glass-sad would be if DW had not come along and rescued it.. so that is a blessing I like to count.

And I am also with Nancy and her "W" list. More details please!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-01-09 8:30 PM (#531836 - in reply to #531764)

So Nancy, if men are annoying because they don't talk enough, give me a call and ask me to explain how my guitars are different. Al's just one of those who you can ask what time it is and he doesn't have to explain how his watch was made. That's an old expression that will be out of date soon because the next generation won't know what a watch is.
alpep
Posted 2017-01-09 9:56 PM (#531838 - in reply to #531764)

nancy
sorry.....

WHO did you see? John, Darren, ????
saw them both
they are both well Darren was not sure if he would be attending Namm this year.

WHAT did you see?
they are in the process of a rehab of a famous doubleneck for a famous player. can't say more than that

Any new news, any new guitars that they are making?
yes but it is not set in stone and I am not at liberty to discuss it at this point. Perhaps when Namm comes I can release details

What other guitars did you get???
2098gt-8
1197gt-8

HOW do the Boys think things are going, anything long term come up?
they are very optimistic

WHERE did you get the NEW Adamas I, are they doing a Special Run for Japan on them, and you snagged, what 1, 2, 12??? They look FABULOUS!!!
they were made for japan and for reasons I am not real sure of I was offered the guitars. they do look fabulous
you can see one photo on my for sale thread and then go to my website for other photos.
guitars made for the Japan market are held to the highest spec and these deliver in both sound and build quality I am very impressed

WHY no pictures????
pics on my website
I have a pic of the old sign in the service dept but I have to find a place to host it .I posted it on facebook

WHEN will they be able to make some Custom Adamas????
I am currently submitting orders
they are still in the process of working out pricing.
If you have something in mind please contact me.

sorry for the lack of information above but I have been a little overwhelmed the past few weeks.
as I often say....get in me a good mood and you will not be able to get me off the phone....if I am busy or preoccupied with life ....send me an e mail that's the best way to get a hold of me.....LOL yeah.....I know....I'm a complicated guy....but it comes with the territory of being a business owner.....

hope that explains it and answers your questions
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-09 10:09 PM (#531839 - in reply to #531764)

Thanks, Al. Good post. Good info.
Nancy
Posted 2017-01-09 10:50 PM (#531842 - in reply to #531839)

Thank You Al, MUCH Better!

The way Men and Women communicate is so interesting, and frustrating for both.
Men give the Title for the Article, and that is enough for other men. Women need the entire story, details, details, details. Ever ask you wife a simple question and she goes on for a half an hour about nothing you care about? And we ask a Man about something, and you give us a shrug, a nah, or I guess so... drives us crazy.

You can't skimp on the story, the whole story, and nothing but the story when talking about going to the Mothership!

Nancy
Posted 2017-01-09 11:02 PM (#531843 - in reply to #531836)

Mark in Boise - 2017-01-09 8:30 PM

So Nancy, if men are annoying because they don't talk enough, give me a call and ask me to explain how my guitars are different. Al's just one of those who you can ask what time it is and he doesn't have to explain how his watch was made. That's an old expression that will be out of date soon because the next generation won't know what a watch is.

I would LOVE that Mark, I soak up new information like a sponge, and always have a ton of "Why...'s " to follow up with! But I know the quiet ones too, you have to pull it out of them, and have plenty of time to be patient with them!

I still wear the old fashioned watch, when I wear one, with the hands, I don't like digital ones! I haven't really worn one for about 5 years now. No need.
BanjoJ
Posted 2017-01-10 3:11 AM (#531846 - in reply to #531814)

Nancy - 2017-01-10 4:17 AM

Men are so annoying...

This is what may have happened if I went to The Mother Ship and spoke to Nancy after.

Me: I dropped in to the Ovation factory in New Hartford today.
Nancy: Oh wow! How was it?
Me: Good.
Nancy: Who'd you meet?
Me: Some guys.
Nancy: What did you see?
Me: Stuff.
Nancy: Were there any nice guitars?
Me: Yep.
Nancy: Did you buy anything?
Me: Yep.
Nancy: #$%!! &*%$@!!

Edited by BanjoJ 2017-01-10 3:42 AM
Beal
Posted 2017-01-10 9:47 AM (#531852 - in reply to #531764)

From Miles
"every floor has a bunch of little businesses in it...... " While I wish it were different, I guess I'm a glass half full kinda person. Nice to see small businesses opening up, especially in a state like CT that has been loosing more and more large businesses every year for many years.

however I suspect that some of these were larger businesses and had to downsize due to the Democratic governor who is trying his best to turn the state into a third world country. Some are startups which is nice. BUT, they still can make great guitars there, I bought one from Al, figured it might be a good time. y'all should take out a second mortgage and buy one of these, they really are great.
Beal
Posted 2017-01-10 9:50 AM (#531853 - in reply to #531764)

And I do have the answer to that question. It's the last verse in a song on the my third cd, The J&B Brothers.
"One Window Town", Is the glass half empty, or just half full, Well are you the barman, or the drinking fool? Better know which side you're looking from, Keep it all together, don't let it come undone.
Nancy
Posted 2017-01-10 9:53 AM (#531854 - in reply to #531846)

LOL!!!!!!

PRECISELY!!!! Good One Banjo!! LOL!!!

I hope that I didn't offend you Al, I am sorry if it came off harsh, I meant it funny, but I seemed to have come off a wee bit like a nagging shrew! My Apologies!

Men do tend to just give the most scarce of details though, and women like to hear everything right down to what color the Welcome Mat is....

Edited by Nancy 2017-01-10 9:57 AM
alpep
Posted 2017-01-10 10:56 AM (#531857 - in reply to #531764)

No nancy
you did not offend me.....

you must realize I have to keep some info back that is considered confidential I have always had this relationship and will continue to do so.

sometimes I tend not to reveal much because well to be honest, it is often used against me.....people call me pick my brain engage me in e mails conversations etc and then buy elsewhere for $5 cheaper....or I get back stabbed etc.....

some people say to me Wow it must be great to be in the guitar business.....well it is.....but sometimes you look around and see your money tied up in inventory, the economy tanking and wonder.....can carbon fiber make a tasty soup????

I seem to attract the lunatic fringe at times and well what can I say???? it goes with the territory
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-01-10 12:32 PM (#531863 - in reply to #531764)

"HOW do the Boys think things are going, anything long term come up?
they are very optimistic "

Out of all that Al said, this was the best part. Businesses grow and they shrink. But this information, that the guys in New Hartford are optimistic, is great....
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-01-10 1:52 PM (#531867 - in reply to #531764)

Truthfully, Nancy, if you called and ask how my guitars are different, I wouldn't know what to say. No one who has asked me that has lasted more than a couple minutes. SWMBO probably thinks I talk too much, at least about stuff she isn't interested in.

Al can get pretty talkative, too.
Nancy
Posted 2017-01-10 3:59 PM (#531874 - in reply to #531867)

I am one of those "WHY" people - I want to know EVERYTHING about things. I was told I can be very intimidating when on a quest for information. People think that I am challenging their knowledge, and it upsets them, when I am actually trying to understand the entire process and wrap my head around it all.

When they told me that I had Cancer, they wanted to schedule my surgery for 2 days, I insisted on 2 weeks so that I could do some research and find out the facts. You don't make a decision like that in 20 minutes, you need to understand your options, and the effects of each option. My Dr to this day brings that up, and calls me the most stubborn person she has ever had to save. But I don't regret the time taken, or the decision made!
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-10 4:34 PM (#531876 - in reply to #531764)

@alpep - "some people say to me Wow it must be great to be in the guitar business.....well it is.....but sometimes you look around and see your money tied up in inventory, the economy tanking and wonder.....can carbon fiber make a tasty soup????"

So very true! My wife and I have 67 years of combined business life. Everything from janitor to jeweler to jester and far beyond, and long ago realized quite clearly that those whom have never made an independent living from even as much as a lemonade stand will never.. ever.. find the core rationale to understand Al's statement above. By virtue of that I hereby extend a hearty THANK YOU to Al for standing by during times of both fat and lean to make sure that the guitar world has reliable, honest access to what we need. In the meantime, January sucks.. always has (right, Al?).. so tonight we are having soup made from skate boot leather with nail polish broth. Yum!

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-01-10 4:58 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)