The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
3 Stolen in Portland

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

sligoman
Posted 2016-12-23 4:37 PM (#531442 - in reply to #531194)
Subject: Re: 3 Stolen in Portland

Ebay is no help unless they are contacted by a police agency. Police not that interested. Frustrating since I found the N769 sold on ebay on the 11th. No sign of the other two. Thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-12-23 5:42 PM (#531444 - in reply to #531194)

Buy something from that seller who sold your N769...
Ask for Local pickup. Bring a bunch of friends.
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-12-23 5:48 PM (#531445 - in reply to #531194)

Serious?? It was your particular stolen one that was sold on Ebay?? If so, I would ride the local police department daily like a wet horse in a hurricane until they did their job. They have ZERO excuse for being indifferent about it, none, especially with an electronic trail to follow to an IP address and ISP account that can lead to a virtual slew of other stolen property aside from yours.

Oh and (edit) they can even more easily track it to the person who bought it.. knock-knock-knock.. and put it back into your hands.

Edited by Love O Fair 2016-12-23 5:58 PM
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-12-23 5:52 PM (#531447 - in reply to #531194)

Or, yes, you can go with Arthur's method. I'm so mad right now that I wish I was in Portland to take part.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2016-12-23 6:11 PM (#531449 - in reply to #531442)

If you know who sold it and you filed an insurance claim tell the insurance investigators so they can light a fire under the police department to get the info from ebay,depending on how far you want to go you could hire a private detective to look into the ebay seller if they bought one stolen guitar who knows what other stuff they've bought,there is also the question if the stolen item was shipped across state lines or used the USPS then they violated federal law not sure if you could get anybody to pursue it but find out the real name and address of the seller and go after them to find out who stole it.

I do like OMA's suggestion find the seller,show up with a bunch of big friends and get what you need.

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2016-12-23 6:13 PM
jay
Posted 2016-12-23 6:46 PM (#531451 - in reply to #531449)

"show up with a bunch of big friends and get what you need"

That’s a great idea. Talk to Mike Tyson on how well it worked out for him...there can be leftovers of a desert best served cold ..they know where you and your loved ones live. If it gets bloody enough, you might even get featured on Law and Order.

"Police not that interested."

Well, that means they are interested...what are they dragging their feet on? Have you asked the officer that is assigned why they will not contact ebay? If you feel the assigned officer is not actively pursuing the lead, then talk to the Chief or Asst Chief and ask them to explain to you why they are "not that interested". Do not mess with an immediate supervisor, or even a Lt. They are not removed far enough from street work. 

Then go to the news and explain your story and lack of interest by LE. Take pictures of the guitars. See if they are interested in interviewing the police to find out why they are "not that interested". You may get a little more cooperation then... just don’t drive over the speed limit and get rid of that stash in your nightstand drawer.

Law enforcement are public servants. They are they only to protect and serve the folks that pay their wages. They should be as loyal to you as your dog.  

Of course that is theoretical babble...but they should be interested in a solid lead. You deserve an explanation as to why they are not.

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-12-23 8:14 PM (#531452 - in reply to #531194)

Okay... Call Kyle Iboshi.
https://www.facebook.com/KyleIboshiKGWTV/
sligoman
Posted 2017-01-16 6:35 PM (#532035 - in reply to #531194)

Ebay has yet to respond to the detective in charge. Grrrrr!
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-16 8:22 PM (#532037 - in reply to #531194)

Kind of makes you feel like Ebay is all part of the fencing operation by proxy and they really don't care that they are as long as the commissions are paid. At that point detectives can easily be stalled off or passed around until they are dizzy and move on to other cases while the thugs move on to other merchandise. A convenient cycle, isn't it? Typical of these days. The new normal. Heck, we may as all just go ahead and get into the thief business. Seems to be quite lucrative and safe. Either that or make me King of the World. I will fix most of it by this time next week... and it won't be pretty for the thugs.
jay
Posted 2017-01-16 8:44 PM (#532039 - in reply to #532035)

Have you seen this?

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/LawEnforcementCenter.html

Are you sure your guy followed:

https://lers.corp.ebay.com/AIP/portal/home.do?localechanged=yes&locale=en-ROW

Ebay is like many too big to fail entities. If you do not do it, EXACTLY the way they prescribe, they will give it 0 attention.

Edited by jay 2017-01-16 8:45 PM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-01-16 10:02 PM (#532041 - in reply to #532039)

jay - 2017-01-16 6:44 PM

Have you seen this?

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/LawEnforcementCenter.html

Are you sure your guy followed:

https://lers.corp.ebay.com/AIP/portal/home.do?localechanged=yes&locale=en-ROW

Ebay is like many too big to fail entities. If you do not do it, EXACTLY the way they prescribe, they will give it 0 attention.

Ditto, this is their protection and yours. eBay wants no part of being in a lawsuit for stolen merch, but it also requires following their contact rules to a 'T'.

Monttexan
Posted 2017-01-27 2:41 PM (#532310 - in reply to #531194)

Late to the party on this and I'm certainly no expert, but since the stolen guitar was sold and shipped, presumably it was across state lines? If so you may be able to get another (Federal) agency involved? I don't know if the sale amount would matter or not, or honestly, if this is really even a possibility. Just throwing it out there as something to consider. Best of luck.
sligoman
Posted 2017-03-13 5:27 PM (#533212 - in reply to #531194)

Took 3 months but ebay finally divulged the id of the seller who was using her father's ebay account. Buyer is out of the country, but the police detective said he is cooperating. The drama continues.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-03-13 5:51 PM (#533214 - in reply to #531194)

The "Seller"... goodstuff123... is obviously a fence and should be prosecuted.
The stuff was stolen in Portland and sold by a fence in Portland.
A quick look at his "sold" listings shows that he is selling stolen goods.
(where else do you get "NEW" coats and handbags and electric toothbrushes and testing equipment)
Should not matter that the seller's daughter did it.
He can look at his own site and see what is listed.
Ignorance of the Law is not a Defense.

Best of Luck in your Search for Justice.
sligoman
Posted 2017-03-13 7:27 PM (#533215 - in reply to #531194)

Detective was going to give to DA. Pretty good case against someone. Photo on auction shows the serial number. Doesn't prove who broke in and took them. No sign of the other two.
Mike S.
Posted 2017-03-13 7:50 PM (#533216 - in reply to #533214)

Hi, Sligoman,
Even though I live in CANADA, I do know that OMA's method of doing things does work, when it has to, because, to quote my late Dad, "Nice don't work for some people!" About 10 years ago, I had 2 care givers, being 2 twin brothers, and both were ex-bikers. ( Yes, the One-Percent kind! THEY EACH HAD A 9th DAN/DEGREE BLACK BELT IN KARATE.) They advocated for me, when my home care was discontinued with them at the time, legally of course. They both were married, and had kids, by that time; but after they both successfully got my home care service re-instated, they told me," If anybody ever bothers you, from now on, for whatever reason, you call us, we'll fix it!" I never had to call them, but, yes, I still do know where to reach them, and they could still make life very uncomfortable for anyone who chooses to bother me. "I GOT FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES." I grew up on a farm, so, yes, I know how to use a gun, too. I had to let my licence expire, because as I said, this is CANADA, and so I can't use one here in the city, of course, eh? One of my uncles always said, "A lead earring would look good on that one." "That one", being a pest of some kind he would need to permanently get rid of his farm. I would not want to be in the shoes of the!@#$%^& thief who stole your stuff when the time comes, that's for sure.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

jay
Posted 2017-03-13 8:05 PM (#533217 - in reply to #533215)

"Pretty good case against someone" "Detective was going to give to DA"

A couple of things...

It better not be "someone". I hope he actually has a suspect and some decent PC that he can tie to that person or the DA will refuse for lack of evidence. You actually have to show that the person that sold the item(s) knew they were stolen. 

In Texas, which I would assume isn't much different than anywhere else and maybe a little more redneck than a lot...for an offense to occur (that is prosecutable):

the property must be received; (you have this one, by all accounts on the eBay seller, unknown on the buyer)

the property must have been previously stolen; (You have this one by all accounts, across the board)

the person receiving the property must know it was stolen; and (This is the kicker and proving they KNEW it was stolen is the key. This is the hardest part of an investigation.)

the person receiving the property must intend to deprive the owner of the property. (This one is easy if you can nail #3. Otherwise, this one is hard to get, if #3 is elusive)

It doesn't appear he is going to wait until he can tie the stolen merch back to the seller, if the person who bought it is "cooperating", but not around.  If the buyer is adept at this, he is going to say, yes, I did buy them and have since sold them to someone who paid cash and met me at the roadside park. AND, I had no idea they were stolen. Pretty common.

I think the only cooperation at this juncture, that you care about is getting your Ovation's back. If the detective has actually spoken with the buyer...the first question is..."are you still in possession", regardless of his physical location. Your LE contact should have this info. 

Good Luck...

PEZ
Posted 2017-03-26 3:07 PM (#533420 - in reply to #531194)

Suxs I hope you get them back.
sligoman
Posted 2017-06-26 12:26 PM (#535631 - in reply to #531194)

Redwood found in a pawnshop. 87C still on the run.
Patch
Posted 2017-06-26 2:02 PM (#535633 - in reply to #531194)
Subject: RE: 3 Stolen in Portland

Progress! Hopefully it's still in good shape?

jay
Posted 2017-06-26 2:36 PM (#535634 - in reply to #535631)

Wow...tell us how it was located, this late in the game, and the circumstances surrounding it, if you know...

I think Moody has your 87C.

sligoman
Posted 2017-06-26 3:22 PM (#535635 - in reply to #531194)

It was located by me on Craigslist. The detective scratched his head and said he couldn't figure out how their computer system missed it. Actually one of the pics was the inside label with the number on it.
Weaser P
Posted 2017-06-26 5:30 PM (#535636 - in reply to #531194)

They weren't actually stupid enough to list it on a local CL, were they? I mean, most of these people aren't testing the upper bar of the IQ scores anyway but I'm glad you saw it.

...and jay is right...look hard at Moody for the 87C...HARD...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-06-26 5:47 PM (#535637 - in reply to #531194)

I wonder when they last checked their computer system.
jay
Posted 2017-06-26 6:07 PM (#535638 - in reply to #535637)

I am not sure how your guitar was secured from Mr. Craigslist, but hopefully, there was not a direct link between Mr. C. and your theft or else the 87c may have been under his bed. Possessing stolen property is enough PC to request and secure a search warrant for the house, for other stolen items.

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)