The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Care and feeding of UKII "shell"

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

wyldwulf
Posted 2016-10-16 12:44 AM (#529325)
Subject: Care and feeding of UKII "shell"

I just acquired a grey/green burst UKII and there's very little damage to the outer shell, and wish to keep it that way.

I generally am very good to my guitars, but is this thing like an eggshell? I have seen some with entire pieces missing from the the coating- and admittedly I do seem to notice a very very minuscule "give" to the guitar's surface if you squeeze it. Is the guitar notoriously fragile, and do i need to use any special product for it's cleaning?

This guitar is crazy- Aristides 40 years early.

Thanks,

Mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-10-16 1:02 AM (#529326 - in reply to #529325)
Subject: Re: Care and feeding of UKII "shell"

Hi and Welcome,
Actually they are pretty sturdy guitars. It's an injected foam over an aluminum core and it was "spun up" so the outer part of the foam became a hard shell as you refer. The aluminum core is pretty substantial, and I've never felt any "give" of the body at all so I wonder if the core somehow deteriorated? I've never seen that. The ONLY thing you need to be careful of, just like a lot of "foam" is of you break the outer shell, the foam is just crumble so it should be sealed ASAP. But, as I'm trying to infer, it's pretty hard to penetrate that shell. In fact I have some photos where I cut an old body in half to show how it's made. In the process I wanted to remove the foam from one half to get a good look at the core. Hitting the finished shell with a hammer was a BAD idea as the hammer just bounced off without damaging the shell other than a mar on the finish.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)