The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Custom Balladeer 1112 Neck Strap Button Missing

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

TrailBoss
Posted 2016-10-09 4:46 AM (#529209)
Subject: Custom Balladeer 1112 Neck Strap Button Missing

The is my first post. (I guess you have to make so many before they let you sit at the grown-ups' table.)

I just got a 1974 Natural Custom Balladeer that I think is in great shape. But it is missing the strap button from the bowl at the neck. The hole doesn't look like it was ripped out or anything, so I have no idea why it's not there.

I got a replacement from the mothership (gratis), which consists of the strap button, a wood screw, a machine screw and a Molly Jack. I guess they were sending each end, depending on what I needed.

Anyways... I assume the Molly Jack is for the bottom strap location and the wood screw would go at the neck, but, the wood screw just rattles around in the bowl's strap hole. I'm wondering, is this screw supposed to screw into a ilttle block of wood against the hole on the inside of the bowl? Surely, I'm not supposed to route out a hole in the bowl large enough to tap in the Molly Jack.

Any help would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-10-09 3:17 PM (#529217 - in reply to #529209)
Subject: Re: Custom Balladeer 1112 Neck Strap Button Missing

On some older Ovations like my Folklore there is a large block of wood at the neck.
On those models a wood screw would just go through the bowl into the block.
If there is nothing behind the hole on your guitar, that is what the Molly is for.

The "molly" takes a machine screw, usually black with a kinda squarish head profile.
That bolt head is designed to fit inside a Dunlop Dual Design strap button.
If you got a wider, counter-sink bolt head shape that is for a regular strap button.
When the MotherShip sent me one they included a Long Brass bolt to tighten the molly.

So, yes. You drill a hole as large as the bottom end of the molly...
You squeeze the long piece of the molly into the hole so that the collar is flush...
You use a long bolt (or whatever they sent you) to expand the molly to stay in place.
Then you use the appropriate machine screw to attach your strap button.

Experience has taught me that if you try to use the wood screw that comes with the Dunlop Strap Buttons on an Ovation molly, it won't work. So be sure to use the machine screws.
If you need more, take those machine screws to a Good hardware store (not Home Depot) they may have replacements with the same thread pitch and head size. Otherwise contact Ovation.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2016-10-09 3:32 PM
TrailBoss
Posted 2021-06-22 6:24 PM (#555759 - in reply to #529209)

So, Ovation, back in 1974, sold this guitar brand new with an unfilled strap button hole and left it to the purchaser to install it himself? Drilling into the guitar? I say this because the hole on this guitar has no marks or scratches that would indicate there was once a molly and some past owner removed it. In fact the hole is quite small.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2021-06-22 10:57 PM (#555763 - in reply to #529209)

Let me see if I have this correctly.
You asked a question 5 years ago,
and now come back to say that you do not like the answer,
from five years ago? Correct?

Also, waybackwhen, in 1974, the previous owner may have ordered it without a neck strap button because they preferred to tie their strap to the headstock.
If you are not the original owner.... we can only speculate.
Good to see that you are doing well and got your guitar promptly fixed by a professional.
TrailBoss
Posted 2021-06-23 5:41 AM (#555766 - in reply to #529209)

It's not that I didn't "like" the answer, it just didn't make sense to me. And I've been kind of busy with things in the last 5 years to worry about a guitar hole. Had to put my mother into a nursing home, go through her entire house and sell everything off, then sell the house, then she passed. Buried her. Funeral homes, gravestones. Then my older brother passed leaving a house to my daughters, had to go through evicting the no rent-paying bum out of it (from out of state), refurb that house, sell it, travel to that state twice to stand before a judge and prove I was a trustable guardian. Not to mention regular old life, losing job, hunting for job, sending daughter off to college, new relatives coming in from another country, helping them get established. So, sorry I didn't get back to this strap hole question sooner.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2021-06-23 2:04 PM (#555770 - in reply to #529209)

Question answered.
Have a nice day.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)