The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation 1615 Pacemaker

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

bettsaj
Posted 2016-09-26 6:18 AM (#528993)
Subject: Ovation 1615 Pacemaker

Greetings guys, it's good to be here.... And i look forward to contributing over the coming months. To kick things off I have 2 simple questions really.

A year ago I was lucky enough to buy a 1615. I won't go into the sound etc, as I'm very sure you all know how astounding these guitars sound. I've checked my serial number against the database and mine is from 1978..... So quite old.

I have two questions, here's the first:

1. When I bought the guitar we exchanged photos etc (I'm in the UK and the guitar in question was in the US) I was happy that the guitar was in very very good condition with no checking at all, no cracks in the lacquer, especially around the bridge which I'm aware they seem to suffer over time. It was for all intents and purposes as new......

When it arrived I noticed it had 2 inch long cracks radiating out from the sound hole rosette. I rang the shop in the states who i'd purchased it from, and they were very helpful. They offered to open a claim on my behalf against the shipping company. I won't go into the graphic details, but I couldn't claim in the end as i had thrown away the packaging and they wanted photos of it!!

Anyway, it didn't affect the guitar to be honest, and they are only around an inch long and only in the lacquer.

What is the best way of repairing these cracks.... I've heard that dropping superglue into the the cracks can really help mask them, and also prevent them from getting any worse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. As you all know, changing the battery on an early Ovation is a nightmare, and involves as a minimum slackening off all, if not most of the strings at least on the bass side so you can get your hand in there to remove the old battery. Has anybody every successfully conducted a battery box conversion.... Having a battery box fitted on the top of the body where the battery screw is....... It can't be hard. I'm not too passionate about keeping it original.... But I do want to make it easy to change batteries.

I was looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kmise-Battery-Holder-Compartment-Guitar/dp/...

Any advice/help would be most appreciated

Andy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bettsaj
Posted 2016-10-20 4:40 AM (#529401 - in reply to #528993)
Subject: RE: Ovation 1615 Pacemaker

No replies?... :-(

Ok, so I assume nobody has every repaired a crack in the lacquer, or retro fitted a battery box to a pacemaker?
Damon67
Posted 2016-10-20 1:57 PM (#529415 - in reply to #528993)
Subject: Re: Ovation 1615 Pacemaker

Andy, I've updated your account so you can ask your question in the main sections. There are only a few people that can respond in the Welcome section.

Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)