The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
DIY PrimeVibe?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

BCam
Posted 2016-09-15 8:31 PM (#528835)
Subject: DIY PrimeVibe?

After reading Dan Savage's 9/11/2016 description of using a PrimeVibe to "break in" his new Ovation by treating the top with with sound, I decided that I had pretty much everything I needed for a DIY version except the transducers.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=46...

These transducers are by the same manufacturer and use the same technology as the ones used by PrimeVibe (as cited on PrimeVibe's website) but not necessarily the same model or specs, and they're only $6.00ea + $5.95 shipping = $17.95:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008JHBOQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages0...

I'm sure the PrimeVibe folks have put a lot of work into perfecting their product but my Bottom Feeder instincts just won't let me pass up an opportunity to try the DIY route. If nothing else, I'll have two audio transducers I can use for other projects.

I'll keep you posted.

Edited by BCam 2016-09-15 8:34 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BCam
Posted 2016-09-15 9:28 PM (#528837 - in reply to #528835)
Subject: Re: DIY PrimeVibe?

I may need to disassemble the product I ordered so I can just use the transducer for solid-to-solid contact. The ones I found like this seem to be discontinued or more expensive:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/speaker-drivers/7614243/
standing
Posted 2016-09-16 10:15 AM (#528843 - in reply to #528835)

It seems to me it might be better/easier to just run a small speaker inside the guitar (not touching the top) and play music relatively loud through that. Then the entire top can vibrate as it naturally would without the transducers stuck on it. Even strategically-placed, I would think the transducers themselves could alter/hinder the natural vibration of the top.

(Just seems logical to me, but I'm admitedly no scientist.)
Damon67
Posted 2016-09-16 11:01 AM (#528849 - in reply to #528835)

My guitars hang in the band room. They get plenty of vibration from drums, bass, guitars, etc. Many times when the band stops playing, the guitars on the walls are still reverberating.

It's much more fun that attaching a speaker to the top of a guitar.

Just fucking play them
BCam
Posted 2016-09-16 12:39 PM (#528852 - in reply to #528835)

You both raise things that have been raised hundreds of times on various forums and discussions of the pros and cons of these methodologies. If you Google PrimeVibe and Tone Rite you'll find enough for hours of reading and viewing Youtube videos. I'd suggest that we all agree not to recreate these discussions here but focus on the project of DIY'g a PrimeVibe.

Personally, I don't know if the methodology works or if it's a bunch of bunk, but the fact that Dan Savage thinks it does is enough for me to try it as a DIY project. My goal isn't to demonstrate whether or not it works but to see if I can build a workable approximation of a PrimeVibe at a reasonably low cost for those who are interested in giving it a try.

PrimeVibe does address the speaker approach in their website and, if there's any substance to this sound treatment theory, I suspect the band room environment would be as good or better.

Edited by BCam 2016-09-16 12:48 PM
DanSavage
Posted 2016-09-16 12:56 PM (#528853 - in reply to #528843)

standing - 2016-09-16 8:15 AM

It seems to me it might be better/easier to just run a small speaker inside the guitar (not touching the top) and play music relatively loud through that. Then the entire top can vibrate as it naturally would without the transducers stuck on it. Even strategically-placed, I would think the transducers themselves could alter/hinder the natural vibration of the top.

(Just seems logical to me, but I'm admitedly no scientist.)

I have no idea whether it's true or not, but the primVibe web site says that the effect is stronger with physical contact of the transducer (exciter) to the top rather than relying on air to transmit the vibrations from a speaker to the top.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)