The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I'm gonna learn how to play guitar!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-02 11:45 PM (#75959)
Subject: I'm gonna learn how to play guitar!

:p As others have posted before, I have reached a Slump.
I have developed alot of bad habits, so I think that I should dig-out all my beginners DVD courses, and start all over.

Also I think I need some new songs for my repertoire.
I pick-up my guitar and play the same old stuff, and anything that I look-up is beyond my talent.

I am sorta looking for suggestions/encouragement/ideas/a kick in the ass! [choose one]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-02 11:51 PM (#75960 - in reply to #75959)
Subject: Re: I'm gonna learn how to play guitar!

Try something a little harder and keep working at it. If you're have way obsessive it will give you something to do for a year or so. The books haven't worked for me, probably because I don't really want to play anything in the books. I pick a song I'd like to learn and start working on it. Find a video lesson of what you want to learn and keep working at it. I've bought a few of those that weren't much good, though, but I've also got some that are excellent.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-02 11:52 PM (#75961 - in reply to #75959)

Oh, I forgot. I'll be in Portland for Thanksgiving if you still need a kick in the ass.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2007-11-02 11:56 PM (#75962 - in reply to #75959)

I was in the same slump last year at this time, Arthur. Then I joined a band that is made up of better musicians than me. It has forced me to work at it much more, particularly sight-reading new music. It can be a humbling experience, but I now feel like I'm giving it my A game these days.
HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-11-03 5:00 AM (#75963 - in reply to #75959)

I've had a couple of boosts of inspiration this fall. First I went to a workshop with Ernie Hawkins, and he gave an intensive lesson in how to navigate on the fretboard using the CAGED system. Being there among other guitarists, and learning this stuff from a live person was just great. I feel that I got a fair idea of how good (or bad?) ;) my playing is compared to others, and some direction in what to work on.

A couple of weeks ago I got together with a banjo player who was looking for someone to play with during a stay in Norway. We sat for two or three hours in two sessions trying to play songs together. That was almost like leaping into another dimension to me, who have been noodling by myself for nearly thirty years, hardly ever played with someone. Instead of learning licks and songs from tab or sheet music, I had to play from the melody and chord progressions of the songs. This really made me aware of what I can do and what I can't and also gave me some confidence that my ears work more musically than I've believed.

So my advice is to track down one or two other "closet pickers" and make music together! Lots of fun and inspiration! :D

One final remark: You're probably a better player than you feel right now, and also improving. One good tip is to record yourself playing from time to time, to have as benchmarks, coming back to a recording from a while back and hearing the improvement can be a good experience when feeling stuck. :)
Andrea
Posted 2007-11-03 5:31 AM (#75964 - in reply to #75959)

Same as hobbypicker says , my mate James ( earlier in the week had a thread with him on it " listen to this " )has really raised my game , i go to him with a song i want to learn and he can make something very ordinary sound loads better and shows me tricks of the trade so ive learnt new stuff and the old stuff has had a referb. I am also considering doing an open mic session , the local one here is called " open Mic Surgery " this will throw me into raptures of anxiety ( this applies for those who have to listen too )resulting in producing too much eastrogen , resulting in unpredictable mood swings , resulting in poor parenting and possible intervention from social services, hightened stress at work and poor performance , resulting in possible sacking and grinding poverty and the sharing of one cup o noodles between an entire family BUT it will provide focus and i play alot better after putting myself through it
First Alternate
Posted 2007-11-03 6:57 AM (#75965 - in reply to #75959)

I think you answered your own question - reach beyond your current talent level.

Also, being a solo player is an advantage. Anyone can play melody lines while someone else is strumming the chords. When you are a solo, you figure out ways to keep it all going - melody, chords, bass, cadence - and keep it interesting.

You can do it with thought, imagination and perserverence. It's amazing how the facility will take care of itself.
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-11-03 7:46 AM (#75966 - in reply to #75959)

I am pretty much in the same boat with fellow members' experiences in this thread. I was in such a slump through most of the summer months of this year, and hadn't played for weeks.

Lately, I'd been getting back at it again ... it really feels weird to have the excitement of having my fingers hurt so badly again. :rolleyes: After nearly a year of being on a mend and keeping my distance, I rejoined the praise team in church. The new members are great players, that I need to work harder and keep my choppy playing to a minimum. It's also a great opportunity to build a repertoire of praise songs. :)

And hopefully, it's never too late to take my ability to play further by taking lessons. My teacher has been very great and patient with me. I'm at the level now where I'm learning how to sight read tablature and play at the same time ... it may be second nature for most fellow OFCers, but it's exciting stuff for me ...
FlySig
Posted 2007-11-03 12:24 PM (#75967 - in reply to #75959)

I echo the others: join a performing group. This year I was drafted into my teenage daughter's church band, which has provided motivation and new material. Suddenly I am playing lead guitar, which I have never done in 46 yrs! I am having to learn all kinds of new techniques and the pressure of performing forces me to work through stuff that seems impossible at first.

Another suggestion is to ditch your old academic stuff and break out into something different. An insanely brilliant online course is at http://richardlloyd.com/lessons/index.htm . You can print out the pdf versions with all of the fretboard diagrams.
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2007-11-03 12:44 PM (#75968 - in reply to #75959)

Thanks FlySig! :D

WOW...that made more sense in a half hour reading than the last guitar theory book I wasted money on... :(

Tim
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-03 12:51 PM (#75969 - in reply to #75959)

Hey, Gil, I'm up to about 6 Croce songs. I expect you to teach me the rest at the OFC tour next year. Then you can show me all Maury's parts to the ones I already know. Get busy.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-03 12:59 PM (#75970 - in reply to #75959)

Thanx for the link FlySig. This looks like a good resource.

The reason that I typed this stuff is that I do have some bad habits, that I've had since 1975! and I think that they affect me NOW! Some little "easy tricks" I picked-up in the guitar circle that I fall back into (wrong fingering, and I hold the damn neck like a club). So I don't think that I can quite get rid of them easily.
All the lesson-folks say "Start with a firm foundation! It is very hard to go back and relearn once you have developed bad technique!"
Well, duh! So why didn't them someone stop me 30 years ago?

And Gil... No-one sight-reads TAB and plays at the same time! (do they?)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2007-11-03 1:06 PM (#75971 - in reply to #75959)

My daughter can do it, pretty much since the time she first picked up a guitar. I think years of piano lessons had something to do with it. I'm just getting to the point where I can figure it out. Pete Huttlinger's videos are the best I've seen, if you're into fingerstyle.
colt357
Posted 2007-11-03 8:35 PM (#75972 - in reply to #75959)

C'mon you guys make it sound like there is some kind of structure needed to play guitar. Don't ya just hold down random strings and strum above the sound hole. I've watched lots of guys and I'm sure that's all they were doin'!
Maybe that's why guys look at me funny when I try to play along!
Beal
Posted 2007-11-03 8:45 PM (#75973 - in reply to #75959)

www.workshoplive.com
STK
Posted 2007-11-03 11:08 PM (#75974 - in reply to #75959)

How about some variety of music? If you like fingerpicking style, music from other parts of the world might be interesting and refreshing. I recently came across a piece from Japan called "Komorebi (sunlight streaming through the leaves of trees)" by Kotaro Oshio (a new age guitarist and singer), and "Kärleksvals (Love Waltz) by Danish jazz musician and composer, Ulrik Neumann. Happy to send the music note or links. Send me an e-mail to hainboka@yahoo.com.sg
ignimbyte
Posted 2007-11-08 8:10 AM (#75975 - in reply to #75959)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
And Gil... No-one sight-reads TAB and plays at the same time! (do they?)
I'm not sure if I made some sense with my last post. In the past, I would learn how to play a song strictly by ear, and then try to be able to complete it by memory. Almost always, I don't even know over half of the chords that I play.

It's like singing. When I'm presented with a sheet music, especially when I haven't heard the song before, I'm able to sightread the notes of the vocal part and sing the melody. Unfortunately, I am unable to generalize that skill onto the guitar.

Being shown how to read tablature opened new doors for me. I am now in the process of being able to play melodies that I haven't heard before or haven't heard in a long time, by looking at the position of the strings and frets on the tab, while simultaneously applying it on the guitar. In the beginning, I kept looking at the guitar's neck to make sure that my finger(s) were on the right string and its designated fret, but it's getting better as I keep going. It's a work in progress - it's slow - but I'm quite content with the direction its heading. :)

P.S.
- Mark that's cool to hear that you're keeping Croce's songs alive. I'm trying on my end here as well. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if I could even make at @ the tour next year though :(
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)