The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Stuck in a rut!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

BT717
Posted 2007-11-04 2:12 PM (#75805)
Subject: Stuck in a rut!

Ok, As mentioned in other posts I have been playing for 6 yrs. In the beginning it was easy to pick-up the guitar and practice. As time has gone on I find that all I want to do is learn and play songs. Anyone have any suggestions on making "practicing fun again? I know plenty of open and Barre chords. I
am learning how to play lead and fill when playing with my buddies. What I would really love to do is be able to Improvise. Any suggestions?? (Legit please,I'm already getting to understand some of you!! lol!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-11-04 2:28 PM (#75806 - in reply to #75805)
Subject: Re: Stuck in a rut!

Learning to navigate on the fretboard, playing licks and progressions in different positions and in all keys is a good tip. I've found these dvds to be a great resource for me, partly because I have been on a workshop with Ernie, and that I like and want to play the same kind of music as he does, but the system itself applies to all styles.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-11-04 2:35 PM (#75807 - in reply to #75805)

"As time has gone on I find that all I want to do is learn and play songs."

That doesn't sound like a rut... A rut is when you DON'T wanna learn and play songs.
As far as the Lead Improvisation goes, I would just find some kind of backing-track that you like, and jam with it.
Then once you get with your buddies, you will have some little licks that you have developed for yourself all ready to go.
There are many little licks on YouTube. I know that copying other folks licks goes against the grain of the free-form ideal, but it gives you ideas.

Desire is important, and that other ideal... Practice, Practice, Practice!
BT717
Posted 2007-11-04 3:04 PM (#75808 - in reply to #75805)

Ok, I have a CD of backing tracks. Everytime I play along with it, I sound like I'm playing the blues. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but, I want it to sound more within the specfic genre I am playing along with whether it is the blues, acoustic rock or what ever. Any advise or special secret that is kept from us tweeners(between chords and scales)(LOL)!
HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-11-04 5:36 PM (#75809 - in reply to #75805)

Don't know about any secrets, but one really obvious observation, you can't improvise something you can't play. When you say you sound like playing the blues, basically that means that that's what you can do. Learning licks and arpeggios, and how to move those around on the neck and play in different keys, or around different tonal centers if you prefer, is really what it's about. So Old Man Arthur gives a really good piece of advice, I'll only add that you really should learn to transpose your licks around. If you also keep track of where the chord notes lie round your licks, you'll be able to make variations and see (and hear) alternative ways to play.
gh1
Posted 2007-11-04 8:09 PM (#75810 - in reply to #75805)

Practice the stuff Erik mentions. then mix up the arpeggios into little melodies. Do a four note line as a call and then another in response. Play the root chords to hear the harmonic palette.

Grab an album with some guitar improv you really like and transcribe.

Listen to a song you want to improv over and sing the lines you hear in your head -- and then play them.

There is no easy path -- it's a lot of work, hopefully fun, because if it's not you wont do it.

_____
gh1
Beal
Posted 2007-11-04 9:39 PM (#75811 - in reply to #75805)

I just bought some play along dvds from Flat Picking magazine, www.flatpick.com, that are made by Brad Davis. They're not here yet but they sounded interesting. He plays the tune, then some rhythm then lead etc.
BT717
Posted 2007-11-06 9:45 AM (#75812 - in reply to #75805)

Thanks Guys. I guess it realy does boil down to
Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-11-06 10:38 AM (#75813 - in reply to #75805)

BT, are you just playing the blues scale for lead? If the song is a ballad or country type song, try dropping down 3 frets. Playing the pentatonic minor scale 3 frets below the root note fret changes it to the relative scale (from minor to major) and gives a totally different feel. Also look up modes, like dorian, to add to the scale and give you a few new licks to add in.

modemasterdotcom
Tommy M.
Posted 2007-11-06 7:57 PM (#75814 - in reply to #75805)

BT717, I think all guitar players get into a rut every now and then. You mentioned barre chords. Well from experience, barre chords can be pretty restrictive, when it comes to improvising for melodies, especially on an acoustic. Actually, on an acoustic, you may want to avoid barre chords or use them sparingly for effect. Play more 4 note chords, and spice things up. Watch James Taylor finger some acoustic playing. His stuff always is an inspiration. I could think of many others too. Happy playing.
BT717
Posted 2007-11-07 1:04 PM (#75815 - in reply to #75805)

Captian L.H.,
I probably am play the blues scale. I am also playing some "patterns" out of the book "Fretboard logic". I was told that this is a good book to use to learn about the Fretboard.

Tommy,
I like the "E" and "A" shape Barre chords for the simple fact using them has allowed me to learn the "notes" for each fret on the 5th and 6th strings. But, I understand what you are saying as It is easier for me atleast to "finger pick the open chords. and the different voicings do add a little "color".

I'll try all your suggestions. Thanks guys!
Bob
dobro
Posted 2007-11-09 4:24 PM (#75816 - in reply to #75805)

I like to see how scales "give birth" to chords (the triad, the 7ths etc). Take a scale like A major with its 7-chord family (A maj, B min, C#min, Dmaj, E7, F#min, G#min7b5). Work in "A" by playing with fragments of these chords. Try the cycle of fourths for progressions like C#min F#min Bmin E7 A D ....) For color I like the melodic minor and its modes: If you are playing MINOR changes like B7 to Emin you will find nice melody material for the B7 [alt] in the C melodic minor scale (C major with flatted third [Eb]). Sart from B and you get the "altered dominant scale": B,C,D,Eb,F,G,A,B. The same scale will give you a "mixolydian flat sixth" sound in the key of G!
FlySig
Posted 2007-11-09 7:05 PM (#75817 - in reply to #75805)

Dobro, I appreciate your efforts, and I like to think that I have a bit of a handle on the basics of modes, but this is all I got from your post:

Originally posted by dobro:
I like to see how scales "give birth" to chords (the triad, the 7ths etc). Take a scale like A major with its 7-chord family (A maj, B min, C#min, Dmaj, E7, F#min, G#min7b5). #$%#$ #$%^#$^%$^% %^&^& %^& %^%&%^&^ .. yada yada somethin' somethin'
Looks like it's time for me to crack open the books again.
maxdaddy7271
Posted 2007-11-09 7:19 PM (#75818 - in reply to #75805)

Try closing your eyes.
dobro
Posted 2007-11-09 8:25 PM (#75819 - in reply to #75805)

I hear ya. Well just play the notes there and the chords--you'll see what I mean! SERIOUSLY: Try playing a basic C scale with an E-flat in it instead of an E; play this against a B7 chord; Play it against a G. Color! Without drugs!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-11-09 8:54 PM (#75820 - in reply to #75805)

Originally posted by HobbyPicker:
Don't know about any secrets, but one really obvious observation, you can't improvise something you can't play.
Errrrm, yes you can. That's pretty much the dictionary definition of improvisation. EG "To make up music on the spur of the moment according to the musician's whim; in other words, the musician does not follow notes on a printed page, but rather relies on his or her own imagination to create music that bears relation to the original source"

Improvising is a skill that can be learned, but it takes time, effort, dedication, commitment and, ultimately, some knowledge of music theory. (In the case of the exceptionaly gifted. the latter is optional, but still recommended) Unfortunately none of the above are available for purchase at your local music store.
Slipkid
Posted 2007-11-10 9:29 AM (#75821 - in reply to #75805)

but it takes time, effort, dedication, commitment and, ultimately, some knowledge of music theory.
Ain't that the cold, hard truth.

I pegged myself as being in such a rut a few months ago. In hindsight, what I'm really suffering from is a severe case of familiarity. I've done about as much as I can do without stepping up and into the next step. That might mean more theory or the dreaded & repeditive practice of scales. I need to step out of my little piece of comfortable turf and move in a different direction.

And how do I plan on doing that???
Well... since you asked.
1) Gotta spend more time with the fingers to the fretboard. More importantly, a good part of that time has to be spent doing stuff I'm uncomfortable with. And that means sounding like a beginner for the forseeable future. :(

2) I've signed up for CWK's seminar. I've got 4-1/2 months to prepare. And I don't mean that I have to have all the "chops" by then. I just need to know what direction I want to move in.

3) Another one of my son's has left the nest. We are re-doing his old bedroom. Half of it will be set up with Pam's scrapbooking stuff and the other half (it's a pretty good size room), will have my amp, mic & music stand all up and ready to go at the flip if a switch.

And if your're still not quite ready to take any of those kind of steps, you can always develope an almost un-healthy affinity to obsure, second tier British invation tunes. That can hold you over for six months at least.
HobbyPicker
Posted 2007-11-10 11:43 AM (#75822 - in reply to #75805)

Paul, just to clarify, I didn't actually mean that improvisation is just some kind of mixing prelearned licks and phrases, but more about the technical part to tell that there's no shortcuts, and that the ability to improvise is growing along with the improvement in technique that comes with practice, practice, practice. It's like learning a language, the more you and your fingers know about where you may go next within a specific context, the greater the vocabulary, and the more freedom you have to improvise. And, as Wittgenstein stated: "Wovon man nict Sprechen kann, daruber muss man Zweigen"! That can be either a very wise observation or a meaningless circular argument, but I like it! ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)